Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 562,475 times)

The_Undertaker

The_Undertaker

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 14, 2009, 04:30:39 PM
Quote from: The_Undertaker on Jan 14, 2009, 02:07:42 PM
My favourite Alien of all time has to be Alien 3. Both Aliens and Alien: Resurrection were great movies but not that great than what Alien 3 delivers. Don't get me wrong, but the first Alien movie was kinda crappish. :-\

Alien was kinda crappish? I've gotta hear the explanation on this one.
Well homes it goes something like this, the entire movie was neither scary or suspense. I mean, it was boring and tireless through the entire movie. Don't get wrong, but the Alien creature from that movie is either fake or looks like a man inside of a suit. :-\

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: The_Undertaker on Jan 14, 2009, 04:50:17 PM
My favourite Alien of all time has to be Alien 3. Both Aliens and Alien: Resurrection were great movies but not that great than what Alien 3 delivers. Don't get me wrong, but the first Alien movie was kinda crappish. :-\

Well homes it goes something like this, the entire movie was neither scary or suspense. I mean, it was boring and tireless through the entire movie. Don't get wrong, but the Alien creature from that movie is either fake or looks like a man inside of a suit. :-\

Say whaaaaaa, you must have nerves of steel coz that made me jump at least 6 or 7 times.

Nyktimos

Nyktimos

That slow build up isn't common in today's movies.  And, again, the creature doesn't look that good by today's standards.  But when I was a kid, it scared the life out of me!  The alien was plenty real enough then.  But times move on.  I love watching Alien, but some aspects of it don't hit the mark as well as they did when I was twelve.  But trust me, it terrified people.  After all, zombie movies terrified people then, and they're still making them with very little real difference.

The_Undertaker

The_Undertaker

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 14, 2009, 05:48:08 PM

Say whaaaaaa, you must have nerves of steel coz that made me jump at least 6 or 7 times.
Yes I do ;D

Quote from: Nyktimos on Jan 14, 2009, 05:51:00 PM

That slow build up isn't common in today's movies.  And, again, the creature doesn't look that good by today's standards.  But when I was a kid, it scared the life out of me!  The alien was plenty real enough then.  But times move on.  I love watching Alien, but some aspects of it don't hit the mark as well as they did when I was twelve.  But trust me, it terrified people.  After all, zombie movies terrified people then, and they're still making them with very little real difference.
I know it terrified people back then, but you have to admit it was boring.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I didn't find it boring. If anything I like it b/c the pacing was top-notch. Kept me on my tos.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Nyktimos on Jan 14, 2009, 05:51:00 PM
And, again, the creature doesn't look that good by today's standards. 

I disagree.

Nyktimos

Nyktimos

Quote from: The_Undertaker on Jan 14, 2009, 10:21:27 PMI know it terrified people back then, but you have to admit it was boring.

I pretty much still get high on the build up.  I leave that movie feeling like I've been on a journey; a rare thing nowadays.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Agreed. Films these days are too riddled with cliches for me to enjoy most.

J-Syxx

J-Syxx

Wow who let the Rob Zombie fan into the forum?  Criticizing Alien on anything is madness.  I watched it a few weeks ago and even the special effects still hold up as making me believe this is space and the future.

Seriously, if you didn't like Alien just give up on horror all together.  The film is in a class by itself.  The only horror movies as good I could think of would have to be something like Suspiria or Inferno by Dario Argento.  But even those don't create the same type of gothic, claustraphobic atmosphere that Alien presents.

DARIAS93

DARIAS93

My favorite Alien has to be Aliens or Alien 3 but I have to choice.... Alien 3 because it was cooler 8)

Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne

Quote from: The_Undertaker on Jan 14, 2009, 10:21:27 PM

I know it terrified people back then, but you have to admit it was boring.
[/quote]

well, if instead of carefully built realism and pace that slowly builds tension and sense of danger and calustrophobia you prefer large Boom boom, CGI, hot cicks, boobs and blood everywhere, then no offense but I think youre either very young or dont take movies as an art form. Alien is timeless because of the way its constructed. Movies that are made today will be horribly dated in the future, even more so than the 80's cheese. Alien can be done today and its still a amsterpiece relaying on human psychology instead of mindless FX and blood that kiddos like so much. Im not attacking you or anything, just saying that the only people I ve heard saying that Alien was boring were young teens or so called, "teeny boppers"

Nyktimos

Nyktimos

Don't get me wrong, but the first Alien movie was kinda crappish. :-\

Seems to be a minority view!  There's nothing wrong with that.  It just means you're wrong! ;)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

How can an opinion be wrong?

Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 24, 2009, 05:20:49 PM

If it contradicts the fact. Opinions are opinions, bt facts are facts. Alien has a 97% approval on RottenTomatoes, webiste reviewed OnLy by professional critics from HeraldTribunes, ChicagoTimes etc.
The reviews arent about "oh, that was cool I liked it". They take into consideration the structure, camera angles, editing, vibe and how the plot evolves. 97% is just unbelievable, and there are very few movies with such high rating.

One might not like it, but it's still a great movie. For example, I don;t like Godfather, but I DO acknowledge that it IS a masterpiece and one of the greatest movies ever done.
Alien isn't for everybody, it's only for thinking adults. If someone thinks it's boring, than it means that the psychological aspect didn't get to him. That means he prefers fast pace and explosions, just like little kids who can't sit still. Alien is a movie for thoughts and based purely on thinking and tension

Again, you might hate it, but it doesn't change the fact it is a masterpiece and one of the greatest horror movies ever done.

there is a difference between qualified opinion and an opinion. If a friend says to me  - you probably have some ear infection, by yourself some vixine or something than I'll take it with a grain of salt, but if a Doctor says 'you have an ear infection caused by this and that in advanced stage. Take nurodex twice a day with water etc" than thats a qualified, educated opinion. And in this case doctors=critics, just like the masses, diagnosed Alien as a carefully thought out masterpiece

Nyktimos

Nyktimos

Quote from: Hyperdyne on Jan 24, 2009, 06:12:33 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 24, 2009, 05:20:49 PM

If it contradicts the fact. Opinions are opinions, bt facts are facts. Alien has a 97% approval on RottenTomatoes, webiste reviewed OnLy by professional critics from HeraldTribunes, ChicagoTimes etc.
The reviews arent about "oh, that was cool I liked it". They take into consideration the structure, camera angles, editing, vibe and how the plot evolves. 97% is just unbelievable, and there are very few movies with such high rating.

One might not like it, but it's still a great movie. For example, I don;t like Godfather, but I DO acknowledge that it IS a masterpiece and one of the greatest movies ever done.
Alien isn't for everybody, it's only for thinking adults. If someone thinks it's boring, than it means that the psychological aspect didn't get to him. That means he prefers fast pace and explosions, just like little kids who can't sit still. Alien is a movie for thoughts and based purely on thinking and tension

Again, you might hate it, but it doesn't change the fact it is a masterpiece and one of the greatest horror movies ever done.

there is a difference between qualified opinion and an opinion. If a friend says to me  - you probably have some ear infection, by yourself some vixine or something than I'll take it with a grain of salt, but if a Doctor says 'you have an ear infection caused by this and that in advanced stage. Take nurodex twice a day with water etc" than thats a qualified, educated opinion. And in this case doctors=critics, just like the masses, diagnosed Alien as a carefully thought out masterpiece

Plus, I was just having a lark!  I don't really think anyone's opinion is wrong.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed