Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 559,205 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2011, 10:38:45 PM
QuoteMy point is that it does have those 70s bits which throw me off, but again, I want to point out that some parts I just love.

Which bits are 70s?

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 25, 2011, 01:07:21 PM
Again, Goldsmith score is great, but it does sound 70s. Heres just one example of the often used, typical 70s cues - 2:34 to 2: 53 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkQgzVEWDo# is one of those full on 70s scores. Compare to 2:45 to 3:00 from 76's King Kong for an example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxPW_SB6iQ# Those are just quick and off the hat examples some out of many, they both sound 70s and for me the Goldsmith's score could be easily dated. Im a soundtrack buff and I listen to soundtracks all the time so maybe it sounds more apparent to me. Emphasis on same instruments, flute accents etc. The score contains many of the signature 70s score elements

SM

SM

Not hearing anything especially "70s" in Alien.

That bit of King Kong reminds me of an old western, or maybe a cue out of something like Zulu (oddly enough since it's the same composer).  More 60s than 70s.

xenophobe

xenophobe

Alien then alien3 the rest are pretty lousy in my opinion

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: xenophobe on Feb 27, 2011, 11:08:52 PM
Alien then alien3 the rest are pretty lousy in my opinion
So you didn't like Aliens at all?

xenophobe

xenophobe

Maybe I was a little OTT I like some of the sets and the opening sequence was very beautiful (the interior of the narcissus)
but Burke and the marines especially killed it for me an alien infestation could have been a neat idea but the one liners and hi fives ruined the vibe for me I know it's a popular movie but missed the Mark for me and I found it more disappointing and shallow than objectionable.I'll probably get flamed as it seems
disliking aliens is illegal here but that's my opinion

delsaber8

delsaber8

Quote from: xenophobe on Mar 01, 2011, 11:21:07 PM
Maybe I was a little OTT I like some of the sets and the opening sequence was very beautiful (the interior of the narcissus)
but Burke and the marines especially killed it for me an alien infestation could have been a neat idea but the one liners and hi fives ruined the vibe for me I know it's a popular movie but missed the Mark for me and I found it more disappointing and shallow than objectionable.I'll probably get flamed as it seems
No it's cool I respect your opinion.

SM

SM

Quote.I'll probably get flamed as it seems

If you'd been here more than five minutes you'd know otherwise.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Finished Friday with the Anthology.

Alien - 10/10
Aliens - 10/10
Alien3 - 9/10
Alien: Resurrection - 9.5/10

There are two 'blocks' in the Alien saga. First is composed of Alien and Aliens - the Masterpiece and his perfect sequel. Absolutely wonderful, never exhausting, classic films. Love them both in different ways - with Alien being only slightly better. They're that kind of films that give you so many feelings, so many thoughts, that you aren't always able to express them all, because you love them so much.
The second block is composed of Alien3 and Alien: Resurrection. Alien3 has a lot of things going for it as it has a lot of things that don't - wasted characters like Newt and Hicks (yes, this again!), or even Clemens, who was the most interesting of the characters in the film besides Ripley, and got nommed way before he could be developed properly. For the rest though, the film's got a very dramatic feel and works most of the times.
Alien: Resurrection is slightly better than Alien3 and represents an incredibly strong metaphor against genetic engineering, other than featuring a very clever twist - Ripley, resurrected, literally, finds herself closer to the Aliens against her will, and ironically, regains her human feelings through her relationship with Call, an android, that is more human than the humans.

War Wager

War Wager

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 05, 2011, 02:14:10 PM
Alien: Resurrection is slightly better than Alien3 and represents an incredibly strong metaphor against genetic engineering, other than featuring a very clever twist - Ripley, resurrected, literally, finds herself closer to the Aliens against her will, and ironically, regains her human feelings through her relationship with Call, an android, that is more human than the humans.

Word.

Rez really ain't as daft as people percieve it to be. It's a geat 'full circle' story arc for Ripley. She runs from the monster in the first film, faces it in the second, is ultimatley killed by it in the third and becomes it in the fourth.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: War Wager on Mar 05, 2011, 04:55:13 PM
Rez really ain't as daft as people percieve it to be.
Yeah! People frequently list along the other things they dislike about the film 'Black Comedy', but there's practically none during the film! There's a single scene in the film that can be defined as such, that being Perez's death, and it's no worse than Andrews' demise in Alien3.
Alien: Resurrection is all but daft, and takes itself very seriously.

Quote from: War Wager on Mar 05, 2011, 04:55:13 PM
It's a geat 'full circle' story arc for Ripley. She runs from the monster in the first film, faces it in the second, is ultimatley killed by it in the third and becomes it in the fourth.
Precisely. It's a very twisted irony that works on a very subtle level. And the most ironic thing (notice the wording) is that she regains her humanity and her common sense not through a human - but through an Android! It's mind-blowing if you think of it.

In fact, as a side note, this time around I catched some nice subtleties that didn't understand previously. For example, Purvis and Wren's death - Wren 'put an Alien inside Purvis', condemning him to a horrible death, and he kills him by putting an Alien inside him. It's a very subtle irony right there.

Mus

Mus

Then there are the one-liners. I really miss those in Alien. Kane dies, and then a wise-cracking truck driver goes like "I guess he couldn't stomach it".

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It would have ruined the scene. Alien wasn't supposed to be comedic like that. Humour in that film was unintentional, I found. Ash spinning around violently and squealing isn't supposed to be comical because a major revelation occurs, but it just is.

SiL

SiL

To you.

Plenty of people shit bricks when it happened (His head coming off got just as many, if not more, people during the original release as the chest bursting).

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 05, 2011, 06:39:33 PM
Alien: Resurrection is all but daft, and takes itself very seriously.
I'm all opposed to unnecessarily bashing AR as the next guy, but what is this shit honestly.

Paraphrasing, but;

"Waste'a f**kin' ammo! Must be a chick thing."
"Who do I have to f**k to get off this boat" -- "I can get you off. Maybe not the ship."
"My code is E-A-T-M-E."
"I can't believe I almost had sex with that." - "Yeah, like you never f**ked a robot."

AR doesn't take itself seriously. At all. Having a few themes doesn't mean you're all srs bsness. There's never a sense of urgency or threat, or that anyone's in danger, if only because after every life-threatening situation we're subject to two minutes of Whedon tough-guy talk and posturing.

Jeunet's direction doesn't help either. He's an excellent director, but he's much too stylised for this type of story. Any time someone talks about the film being daft I guarantee they'll also be thinking about his use of a large zoom-in (Well, push in, as the camera itself is moving) on a character during certain critical events -- Vriess being bled on, or Wren being choked, or Purvis about to go, etc. That sort of style typically just feels silly, especially given the content matter. It's too showy, too cartoonish; something that's painfully obvious when watching AR after any of the others.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 05, 2011, 10:30:51 PM
It would have ruined the scene. Alien wasn't supposed to be comedic like that. Humour in that film was unintentional, I found. Ash spinning around violently and squealing isn't supposed to be comical because a major revelation occurs, but it just is.

You're the only one who thinks it is, I don't even know how that could even be unintentionally funny.

Mus

Mus

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 05, 2011, 10:30:51 PM
It would have ruined the scene.

That was my point. Turns out the Internet still isn't the optimal medium for transitting sarcasm.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed