Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 551,040 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I was about to say that Alien 3, which I adore, stands entirely on a pretty big plot hole.

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2022, 05:01:46 AMWhat stupid decisions are these ?

Forgive me in advance if I forget something and have to add on to this later. My memory is damaged and I've only seen Aliens once.

Okay so, there's a slew of really stupid things that the characters in Aliens do. The marines are a bunch of jokers when they should be more with it, Burke is reckless, Lt. Boxes doesn't know what he's doing for half the movie, Drake sneaks ammunition into a dangerous area, the dropship was landed dangerously close to an infested building, Ripley risked the entire human race for a little girl (polarizing-ly out of character), and NOBODY was left on the Sulaco?

I am aware that most of these things can be explained away from bad writing as they are either thematically relevant or in-character. (Vietnam War parallels for the marines, Lt. Boxes is new and chokes, Burke is selfish, Ripley is having a character arc, etc. etc.) But the thing is when you look at the big picture, you realize that ALMOST EVERYONE was acting stupid. Even if you can explain them all individually, it's still bad writing that goddamn everyone is bein' stupid.

I also find the premise convoluted in itself. Ripley was in cryptosleep for decades and decades but just happened to wake up within a couple months of the Derelict being rediscovered? Plus, with the exception of slimy Burke, Newt's lip, and Lt. Boxes' hero moment, I think the characters are sooooo boring.

Every piece of media has plotholes and convoluted incidents, but Aliens has too many for me. So I can't help coming away from it thinking it's bad writing.

All that being said, it's fun! I won't pretend it's not! It's got great cinematography at points and the special effects are primo 80's practical effects. (And you know I love a good violence) But it's not a good movie. Just a fun one. (Don't get hung up on the semantics there plz) And I really prefer something with a deeper and more believable character drama and moodier themes.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 09:57:52 AMAlien eggs materialising on ceilings is not believable or real.

Well yeah silly, aliens aren't real <3

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 15, 2022, 12:58:53 PMI was about to say that Alien 3, which I adore, stands entirely on a pretty big plot hole.

No but seriously, I hear this complaint a lot, but tbh it didn't really phase me? I don't see it being hard to believe that if the Queen could sneak onto the Sulaco then she could pick up an egg and toss it into the hallway as a fail-safe. Granted, everybody's tolerance for plotholes is different and it's all about the balance between convolutions and good writing, but it just.... didn't seem like a stretch to me?

If it changes anything, apparently it was a studio mandated insert?

Huntsman

Huntsman

How do people feel about Resurrection these days?

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: Huntsman on Aug 15, 2022, 01:44:34 PMHow do people feel about Resurrection these days?

BABBY <3

No but srsly. It's fun just because of how goofy and weird it is. Plus all the parts where they DID take the project seriously are really well executed (practical effects, Ripley 7 body horror, the aforementioned babby) 7.5/10 for me personally

Memphis

Memphis

Aliens - one of the best sequels ever made. More mainstream but in a good way. It greatly expanded on the main character, introduces bunch of absolute badasses along the way, tells a compelling story, give you chills, give you laughts, give you majority of emotions along the way. It filled with iconic moments. Rough and beautiful at the same time, taking full advantage of its new setting. 

Alien - legendary movie with graundbreaking creature design and immense atmosphere, down to earth characters, one of whom became an anomaly in the industry.   

Alien 3 - back to the roots, but at what cost.

Resurection - fun dumb romp.

Prometheus - slick and gourgeous. Ambitious, intriguing and not that bad.

Alien: Covenant - operation stupidity engaged! What the flark, Ridley?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Prometheus had all the issues Alien Covenant had and more.

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 15, 2022, 03:59:39 PMPrometheus had all the issues Alien Covenant had and more.

Yeah, but at least Prometheus was interesting lol

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah the stupidity is sky high in Prometheus. But it does look gorgeous sometimes.

Memphis

Memphis

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 15, 2022, 03:59:39 PMPrometheus had all the issues Alien Covenant had and more.

I remember it other way around. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. One way or another - Ridley shit the bed. 

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 15, 2022, 04:20:54 PMBut it does look gorgeous sometimes.

And it has interesting deleted scenes, altered scenes. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Prometheus has an amazing documentary for that stuff, the film aims high but achieves quite low, I feel Alien Covenant achieves more of what it set out for.

Memphis

Memphis

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 15, 2022, 04:48:08 PMPrometheus has an amazing documentary for that stuff, the film aims high but achieves quite low, I feel Alien Covenant achieves more of what it set out for.

Maybe entourage and 'novelty' saves it in my memory. I don't want to rewatch these movies for the realisation.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I wouldn't recommend it either lol

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 09:57:52 AMAlien eggs materialising on ceilings is not believable or real.

Eh, at this point, I just roll with it. Doesn't break the whole movie for me

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

It is an objectively big writing plot hole, but that doesn't prevent me from loving that movie with all of my heart.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Cocolyte on Aug 15, 2022, 01:34:00 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2022, 05:01:46 AMWhat stupid decisions are these ?

Okay so, there's a slew of really stupid things that the characters in Aliens do. The marines are a bunch of jokers when they should be more with it, Burke is reckless, Lt. Boxes doesn't know what he's doing for half the movie, Drake sneaks ammunition into a dangerous area, the dropship was landed dangerously close to an infested building, Ripley risked the entire human race for a little girl (polarizing-ly out of character), and NOBODY was left on the Sulaco?

How Burke being reckless makes him badly written or stupid ? He's a slimy businessman, he sees an opportunity and acts accordingly

Why do you cal Gorman Lt. Boxe-oooh,I get it. Well,the whole point of the character is that he is f**king inexperienced and it reflects how things have tendency to happen in actual military.

Drake doesn't know that he is in a dangerous area at that point because Gorman gave an order without any explanation and it is established early on that Marines don't like him very much

I thought they landed pretty far away and at this point they don't know colony is overrun with Aliens 'cause military staff thinks Ripley iis just a crazy woman

How Ripley going back for Newt endangers the entire human race exactly ? And you said it yourself, it's part of her character's development, she acts towards Newt as a mother would act towards her daughter and what mother would leave her daughter in a burning house ?

Nobody was left on Sulaco ... Ok I have nothing to counter that one, I guess that's dumb

Quote from: Cocolyte on Aug 15, 2022, 01:34:00 PMI also find the premise convoluted in itself. Ripley was in cryptosleep for decades and decades but just happened to wake up within a couple months of the Derelict being rediscovered?

Did you not watch a scene where Ripley smashes Burke against a wall ? Colonists found Derelict not by coincidence - they were sent there by Burke

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed