Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1044

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 492,590 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Always the same for me when I check this topic.

I watch Alien and say to myself "this one's my favourite".

I watch Aliens and say to myself "this one's my favourite".

I watch Alien³ and say to myself "this one's my favourite".

And then I just watch Alien Resurrection.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 19, 2022, 10:20:46 PMAlways the same for me when I check this topic.

Hahahaha exactly the same experience.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The only real choices are either Alien or Aliens.  Any other answer is just blatant self-deception.

windebieste

windebieste

I love all the ALIEN movies for different reasons. As these movies are not carbon copies of each other with elements pilfered and constantly restamped with slight style differences and then repackaged to fans only (Star Wars: Episodes VII to IX, for example.). I'll watch ALIEN, ALIENS, ALIEN 3, PROMETHEUS and ALIEN Covenant. I'm good with all these and it just depends on what the mood takes me at the time. ALIEN Resurrection I can live without; but I do love ALIEN Resurrection fans.

You don't see them screw each other over for a God damn retcon. lol.

-Windebieste.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 19, 2022, 10:27:22 PMThe only real choices are either Alien or Aliens.  Any other answer is just blatant self-deception.

Piss off.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 19, 2022, 11:10:30 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 19, 2022, 10:27:22 PMThe only real choices are either Alien or Aliens.  Any other answer is just blatant self-deception.

Piss off.

They don't like hearing it, but the toxic component of this community lies squarely in the "ALIENS ONLY!" fan camp.

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Aliens OR Alien.  None of the other films in the franchise even come close.

The real question should be: Aside from Alien and Aliens, which film is your favorite?  Alien 3 would then get my vote.

426Buddy

426Buddy

After ALIEN and Aliens? Covenant gets my vote.

Then A3/Prometheus, and then AvP/AR.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

This IP has been through so much, it's a miracle it's still alive. God bless you Disney.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You leave Randy alone! >:(

T-850

T-850

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 19, 2022, 11:19:32 PMAliens OR Alien.  None of the other films in the franchise even come close.

The real question should be: Aside from Alien and Aliens, which film is your favorite?  Alien 3 would then get my vote.

That is a really great question. Between 3 and Resurrection I'm going to be the odd one out and say Resurrection. Prometheus and Covenant are the same in my opinion.

Kradan

Kradan

I rarely rewatch any of the films these days, I lack the time and commitment it takes. But, at least for now, that might change in the future, it's Alien 3. There's some bleak warmth to that movie, it's Ripley's last journey, last shelter, It's definitely not something she hoped for - to spend her last days amongst murderers and rapists. But, in a way, Fury 161 became her home, place where she finalyl rested, finally found some inner peace after all the pain and suffering. Also.BTS history of that movie is endlessly fascinating

Second place goes to Aliens. I just owe that movie too damn much. Without the excitement and the trill of it it's unlikely I would've stuck around as an Alien fan. Seeing Queen, that majestic monstrosity, is something I'll never forget, even despite the fact I already knew what Queen was, thanks to first AvP movie.

I think I would put Covenant in the second place too. It's not a perfect movie and it took me some time to come around on it. First and third acts are very much repetition of Alien/s. But the middle chunk, everything to do with Engineers' necropolis and David's f**king around with Goo and being a sneaky sonovabitch  - ah, love it, love to think about it and love to hear other people talk about it. All the subtext and sybmolism and LAYERS and sexual undertone and recontextualisation of what Alien is and what its relation to humanity is - there's just so much ! Covenant took best IMO parts of Prometheus and threw them into somewhat familiar Alien-esque structure

Third place for me would be shared between Alien, Resurrection and Prometheus. I understand that such ranking might infuriate certain people but it's purely my personal preferences, not me talking about movies' objective quality. Out of the three original I rewatched Alien the least. I know,I know, it started the franchise and it's visually stunning and timeless (hate that word, what does it mean even) and script is great and dialogue is well-written. But I just never can accumulate enough excitement for it. Pacing is too damn slow for me, I'm not the biggest fan of SJ sequence, I want to get to juicy Alien parts quicker. Also, I find the praise too over-whelmimg, these days it seems everybody talks just about the 1979 one,all interviews, documentaries and BTS books are about it. And why does it aleays has to come down to "Alien vs Aliens" argument ? Why do you people feel that in order to praise one movie you have to belittle another ?

Resurrection is too weird and bizzare for me to just watch it, I need to be in the proper mood, but with the right frame of mind, I can get enjoyment out of its dark comedy tone, exaggerated characters and creepy sexual undertones.

Prometheus is the same deal, really,that movie requires some mental preparation for me too watch. Lack of distinctly Alien elements really infuriates me and harms the movie for me. But I like the visuals,the overall feel, the idea that Shaw came to LV-223 to find the meaning of life, the answers but instead found death and destruction really resonates with me, the idea of an angry God is a scary one for me - I mean, what would you do if your creator one day decides there's no worth to you anymore ? Also, I'm not too bothered by the scientists not acting like scientists

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 19, 2022, 10:22:39 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 19, 2022, 10:20:46 PMAlways the same for me when I check this topic.

Hahahaha exactly the same experience.

And then CB walks in the room and sees you watching Resurrection and gets all horny. Guess between the two of you what turns him on more ?

Spoiler
know it's a bad joke, I just love it too damn much
[close]

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

ALIEN and (to a much lesser extent) ALIENS are my favourites.

As the years roll by, I find it harder to sit through ALIENS (both versions). I just don't give a sh*t about Newt and Hicks (and the rest of the marines) - I don't think I ever did? The original film is still so fresh. I could watch it on loop until I'm gone.

ALIEN3 has some of the best set-pieces in the series, but as a whole, it's a depressing experience to view. The colour design is something you'd find in a filthy public toilet ... all those browns.

Never liked ALIEN: RESURRECTION. The production design and CGI looks more and more like a video game. Odious characters populate this sh*tty film.

The prequels are very pretty to look at but the films are mean-spirited.

So ... it's got to be the original ... ALIEN! No surprises there. I can still remember the days when it was just ALIEN - and no noisy, trashy sequels (and prequels) to ruin the memory of the 1979 classic.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 20, 2022, 03:29:51 PMThe prequels are very pretty to look at but the films are mean-spirited.

That's exactly how I would describe them lol. Prometheus still is the best of the two though IMO.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 20, 2022, 04:54:56 PM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 20, 2022, 03:29:51 PMThe prequels are very pretty to look at but the films are mean-spirited.

That's exactly how I would describe them lol. Prometheus still is the best of the two though IMO.

Agreed. I like the Shaw character. It was a mistake to kill her off.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed