Would You Read Fan-Written Novels?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 01, 2007, 04:30:25 PM

Author
Would You Read Fan-Written Novels? (Read 3,000 times)

Corporal Hicks

Now, I don't mean profesional authors who will always say they're fans - I'm sure some of them really are big fans! - but I'm talking about those talented fan-fic authors out there. There's a company called Fandemonium, they publish Stargate SG1 novels in the UK and the US. The SG1 line is compomised of mostly fan-fic authors turned profesional, and the reason they turned professional is because Fandy gave them the chance.

Apart from 1 novel, which was written by an already professional author, all the Fandemonium SG1 novels have been astounding! The writers themselves are very talented and their extensive knowledge of the franchise helped make the novel that bit more enjoyable.

My question is, if DH Press gave the fan-fic authors out there the chance, would you be interested in reading them? Of course, we're not gonna end up with those terrible authors, but those talented ones who have proven themselves. I'd imagine AlienSlof could write some astounding Aliens novels and Anise at that.

The Ultimate Predator

I'd go for it.

SM

SM

With one exception, all the fan fic I've read over the last 10 years has varied between mediocre and atrocious.  It's mostly derivative and poorly written and I can't imagine spending money on it.  Fans tend to go to far into silly details while neglecting the story.

Corporal Hicks

Well, like I said, not bad fanfiction. They'd obviously have to pitch the novels and I'm sure all the bad spelling and grammar of most of those aweful writers would result in the proposals going into the trash can.

But there are some very talented fan authors out there.

SM

SM

Well apart from the aforementioned exception, I've yet to encounter any.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://images.darkhorse.com/dhpressbooks/downloads/dhpress_submission.pdf

Seems like it'd be pretty easy for a talented fan to get his/her stuff published. I didn't know they had an open submission policy.

SM

SM

I consider myself a big Alien fan, but I'm not sure I'd pursue it personally.  I'm better at screenplays than prose, and if it was Alien once again I'd get too bogged down in details to cover up the weak plot.

Corporal Hicks

You know, if it wasn't for having spent the last two years writing scripts, I'd give it a shot. I'd like to think those 2 years of almost constant writing has improved me somewhat.  :P

So! Those of you that are actually good and know it, go for it! It's worth the chance!

BrokenTusk

out of the fan fiction authors, how far do they go with the license before they get too carry away ?

That's pretty cool of DH to have open submissions, especially since out of the AVP line they seem to be running out of material.

Ava

Ava

That is really cool, but what those of "us" who are not native english speakers? Then no matter how good you are in writing, your gramm always get you to the trash  :'(

SM

SM

Consider a co-writer to turn your ideas into coherent english.

Ava

Ava

Beta reader is the best option, but it´s a tough mission to find one, believe me... :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed