Hero Predator ?

Started by stickaround, Jan 27, 2007, 11:41:38 PM

Author
Hero Predator ? (Read 15,334 times)

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: stickaround on Jan 28, 2007, 09:07:39 PM
Regarding the female, paul anderson was trying to stay true to the comics and he still gets slated, but like i said, lets not go there again !

But the majority of people who went and saw AvP are movie fans. They wouldn't have a clue what the comics are about. And that's why a lot of people didn't like it. Hell, basing AvP on the AvP video games would have been better than a comic.

stickaround

stickaround

Darkness

& alot of people liked it too ! & alot of people have read the comics ! & this was just a nod to those fans (hellboy anybody) at the end of the movie, it didn't drive the whole plot and unless it happens your assumption of the video games can't be proved.

Alot of the films detractors go on assumptions, this would have been better, that would have been better, this should have happened, that should have happened. How do we know ? As i've said to you before, take the film for what it is, move on and hope for the best for AvP2

The fact of the matter is some people liked it, others didn't. I'm fortunate that i enjoyed seeing the preds and aliens back on screen & it's success has led to another movie.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

It doesn't necessarily has to be a teamup, perhaps the Pred is out hunting a badblood, or heck perhaps the Pred belongs to clan that doesn't hunt humans or high intelligent lifeforms.

I agree they need to something new to the series, but not like Shirley did with his book....... 

there is still so much we don't know about the race...

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Teaming up is not good.

That said, I would like to see the predator claim his trophy.  Perhaps by killing a murderer ex-mercinary peadophile or something like that, so everyone is hoping he dies.

Either that, or throw audiences for a loop and have the pred kill the Hero who is basically good.

SM

SM

How about a Lefty Predator who doesn't dig on hunting humans, so he arms the humans with masks and plasma guns against his own kind.  Be an interesting challenge for a write to convey inner turmoil and humanity in something not human.

Might be a tad too deep for those who dig on the existing one-dimensional monster though...

SiL

SiL

I like Predator because it's not afraid to be what it is: Good old mindless action fun with Arnie and some other muscled-up guys shooting big guns at big things :'(

SM

SM

Fair enough.

But it's a viable way around the dreaded team-up, and would give the Predators some depth.  Or indeed ANY depth whatsoever.

You can still have all the shooty-bang-bang-splosions-muscle-men as well.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Oh damn they shouldn't add anything from the comics to the movies, like Paul Anderson did! What's next? We're gonna hear the Preds speak their own language and we're gonna see subtitles? While I agree we should know a bit more about the hunter, going as far as the example I've mentioned before wouldn't be good. Also if you want something new, you shouldn't have it from the comics.

Quote from: stickaround on Jan 28, 2007, 05:19:39 PM
Dekapitator

The pred winning just isn't hollywood ! unless he's with us
Stickaround !

Sadly, you're right.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Id like to see new things from the predator, but wouldnt like many new things revealed about the predator, once you have the answer half the fun is gone and youre almost always disapointed.

I agree about not mixing the comics and movies, no bueno.

Id actually also like to see the pred win, there are plenty of dark films like that where the antagonist wins, but I doubt we'll ever see it from a Pred. movie. Im gonna stick with the hope of a pred. hunting a pred. with some poor hapless human 'hero' stuck in the middle of it all.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: stickaround on Jan 28, 2007, 10:11:03 PM
& alot of people liked it too

Yes, I know but I'd hardly say a lot. A lot of people were disappointed too.

Quote! & alot of people have read the comics ! & this was just a nod to those fans (hellboy anybody) at the end of the movie, it didn't drive the whole plot and unless it happens

It was a pretty stupid nod. I really can't imagine what non-AvP fans thought of AvP when they saw the teamp up scene.

Quoteyour assumption of the video games can't be proved.

All, I'm saying is that the things he incoporated from the comics contradicts things already established from the previous two movies. Sure, basing it on a game would have done that too but I personally like the games a lot more than the comics.

QuoteAlot of the films detractors go on assumptions, this would have been better, that would have been better, this should have happened, that should have happened. How do we know ?

Some things in AvP were pretty obvious. They wouldn't have worked in any way.

QuoteAs i've said to you before, take the film for what it is, move on and hope for the best for AvP2

Take the film for what it is? I try to but I guess I'm the only person on Earth who happens to care about the previous six films and what effects AvP had on them.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

The team-up was ridiculous, a lot of things in AvP were, but the team-up was that proverbial staw on that poor camals back. I agree with Darkness that the majority of people who saw that movie were fans of the old movies, then the games, and the smallest percentage were fans of the comics. The movies clearly are successful and popular, and the games alos recored huge sales. The comics however, while they do hold a strong cult follwing, aren't that popular or well known.

I can tollerate the team-up and hope the same thing is never repeated now that its out of the system and has been done, and the negative reaction to it has been seen. I would rather have seen it, if it had to be done, the pred tollerating and ignoring Lex and not interacting with her at all and her just trying to keep up.

SM

SM

QuoteAlot of the films detractors go on assumptions, this would have been better, that would have been better, this should have happened, that should have happened. How do we know ?

What a silly question.

We know from when we see a good movie that has interesting characters, tension, good action, and an engaging story.  AvP failed on all counts.  Take something like Aliens though and most would say it achieved all these things.

As for a Predator surviving, you needn't have a team-up.  Just do a Zulu-style ending where the Predator essentially says to the protagonist "Good fight" and walks away without doing what the whiny little bitches generally do with their mini-nukes when they loose.

stickaround

stickaround

Darkness

1) If not alot of people liked it why did it make so much at the box office and why did it sell and still sells so many dvd's ?? Even reading these forums it's obvious alot of people enjoyed it. Why can't you take it that some people actually enjoyed it, you've got to respect other peoples opinions.

2) They should have been happy that the film had been made at all. In a perfect world it would have had a better script, director, budget etc but because of the previous 3 films failures in the franchise this didn't happen and people related to thre franchise thought it was a ridiculous idea full stop, so why do people like yourself expect this masterpiece that never was ??

3) I'm not a gamer and as you know movies based on games have a shocking track record, most successful one being - Resident Evil (directed by guess who!) and lest we forget you have the comics to thank for coming up with the AvP concept and keeping it going over the years.

4) AvP is a tough concept to pull off no question & i'll be glad if AvP2 is better than the first, but it won't make me hate it

5) This assumption you have if that you like AvP you can't like the previous 6 installments (A:R is no masterpiece) is ridiculous. If you read my posts it's obvious i love aliens and preds 1 & 2 especially (& alien is a masterpiece), you just love top pick at AvP.

You take every film on it's own merits, sure AvP is no Alien, aliens, pred 1 or 2 but you can't judge it against them, you judge it against AvP2. As for damaging the franchise, hollywood is all about box office, everyone loves pred 2 but it didn't lead to pred 3, A:R was a disappointment and didn't lead to A5. If those 2 films had made real money (& if dvd's had been around!) they would have led to further films no matter how good or bad the critics thought they were. This hatred and resentment for AvP and it's director people like yourself have certainly doesn't help. Why can't you just say AvP could / should have been better and move on.

& you know AvP2 your looking forward to just wouldn't have been made if AvP had failed at the box office & dvd and i bet your wishing it had ? For all its faults i'm glad it succeeded against the odds meaning we'll see more of the characters we love

stickaround

stickaround

SM

Why such a silly question ??

For the sake of repeating myself, i've never said that AvP was a masterpiece but i enjoyed it, something that people who didn't can't seem to handle ?? As for it not being as good as aliens , neither were A3 Or A R and it's a different movie altogether.

As i've just said to darkness people like sigourney weaver thought the concept itself was ridiculous so why this expectation of a film on aliens or predators level, nothing has matched those 2 films since they were made. I think it's a difficult concept to pull off and you will never please all fans because some will want aliens, others predator.

Can't you just be happy they're back and there's gunna be round 2 ?

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: stickaround on Jan 30, 2007, 12:36:58 AM
everyone loves pred 2 but it didn't lead to pred 3

lol, pred 2 was a cmercial flop, outside of its cult following (ie: us) its not very succesfull at all (although Im sure its sales did pick up after AvP, in fact I know they did)

AvP comics may have started the idea, but so did Pred 2 (I know the comics had it first, barely, but pred 2 is really waht put it out there) and since the comics, like I said before, werent really that popular, Im betting most who saw the movie, 85% (and I think thats being VERY generous to those who saw it as comic fans) were fans of the games and movies. I don't like how it was based off a comic, but it was. It was cheesy (in large part because of the team-up, which I couldn't/can't stand) but it could have been A LOT worse.

It doesnt matter if you saw it for whatever aspect of the AvP media you were a big fan of. It made enough to get AvP2 out there being made, the mistakes of AvP hopefully gave some ideas of what to do and what not to do, to the new filmakers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed