A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 47,538 times)

SM

So Cameron gave his audience too much credit to work it out for themselves?

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 05:08:49 AM
So Cameron gave his audience too much credit to work it out for themselves?

Everybody knows that Cameron is a hack fraud.

Huggs

Huggs

Were it not included in the A.P. explosion, adding another scene of Ripley nuking the derelict would've added too much to an already lengthy film and an already perfect ending. Or he just forgot that whole angle, hey, he's still human. Maybe he left that open to interpretation so he could use it the next movie, were he able to do so.

Honestly, I think it's one of those things where you just have to decide for yourself. It wasn't exactly close enough to be flattened. If it did catch some kind of blast wave, it may have been scorched and slightly damaged, but not enough to completely destroy it. It may be covered by debris or fallout. Structurally weakened and maybe some decent damage here and there. But I personally think the lion's share of the ship survived, and the eggs underground did most definitely. The derelict can be blown to bits, but that doesn't do anything about those eggs down in the cavern. And who knows how far those go? There may be more than 2,000. They may go on for miles. And deeper underground too.

SM

If it was to be used in the next film - why did none of the myriad scripts so much as mention it, never mind exploit it?

As far as all were concerned - Ripley was not a moron who just forgot about it.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 05:21:52 AM
If it was to be used in the next film - why did none of the myriad scripts so much as mention it, never mind exploit it?

Never said she was. Perhaps she too just assumed it was toast, and went on with her life.

It's possible for a human being to go through all kinds of hell, and simply forget things that are important to them. Ripley just saved her new daughter, survived the hive, the queen fight, and all that other mess since the moment Burke chucked the facehuggers in with her. Then she had to get everybody including bishop into cryo. I imagine she was rather exhausted and happy to be alive with her new family by that point. A normal person could very well overlook all kinds of things after that.

I don't think the AP destroyed any eggs though. So it's basically mission unaccomplished. But it leaves opportunities for future movies.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 05:37:27 AM
I don't think the AP destroyed any eggs though. So it's basically mission unaccomplished.

If Cameron were a serious film maker he would have ended the movie the right way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-Nw3bEASY

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 05:46:15 AM
I don't think the AP destroyed any eggs though. So it's basically mission unaccomplished.

If Cameron were a serious film maker he would have ended the movie the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRoXxVr5RK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-Nw3bEASY

Well, the eggs under the derelict that is. Any eggs under the AP obviously got alittle...scrambled.  ;)

SM

Never said she was. Perhaps she too just assumed it was toast, and went on with her life.

It's possible for a human being to go through all kinds of hell, and simply forget things that are important to them. Ripley just saved her new daughter, survived the hive, the queen fight, and all that other mess since the moment Burke chucked the facehuggers in with her. Then she had to get everybody including bishop into cryo. I imagine she was rather exhausted and happy to be alive with her new family by that point. A normal person could very well overlook all kinds of things after that.

I don't think the AP destroyed any eggs though. So it's basically mission unaccomplished. But it leaves opportunities for future movies.

So we've gone from 'we're going there to wipe them out', to 'nuke the entire site from orbit', to 'oh, I'm sure there's no more Aliens, and I'm not going to bother to check lol'.

:laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

I'm perfectly content with the idea that LV-426 is now completely barren and nothing survived.

After the events of Aliens & A3 that strain of Alien is completely gone, unless the Torrens didn't simply shut down and everything aboard it eventually froze.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 06:25:22 AM

So we've gone from 'we're going there to wipe them out', to 'nuke the entire site from orbit', to 'oh, I'm sure there's no more Aliens, and I'm not going to bother to check lol'.

The way the movie rolls, the AP goes up, she fights the queen and then it's bed time. The derelict is never shown to be destroyed, nor is it mentioned. Seeing as how that was the source of all the death from the first movie, Ripley's ptsd, and the eggs that caused the outbreak at Hadley's Hope, I just always wondered why it was never addressed. Wherever that derelict was, it was far enough out that Newts family had to drive to it. Do I personally think it survived? Yeah, mostly. Although it looked like it had decayed somewhat since the first film, which could have made it less structurally sound.

Does the fact that it's not addressed in the movie mean it wasn't destroyed? No, I suppose not.

I just think it's destruction is too important an event not to be mentioned or shown. Even if she would've asked Bishop to scan the area, it would've helped. But there's nothing. So either Ripley just assumed it was gone with the processor, or it was on oversight by Cameron. I'm inclined to think it was an oversight. Big boom, everything must be gone.

Well, I personally don't think so. Likely not the eggs underground. So yeah, Ripley saw the death of all the grown xenomorphs. But she also missed the egg on the sulaco that got everybody killed. A moron? absolutely not. Human? Absolutely.

Like I said, the movie shows us what Cameron wanted us to see. A big boom, the queen fight, then lights out. Unless it's directly addressed on film, it's all up in the air. Seeing is believing.

We've only seen a portion of a large underground cavern. Who knows how big that cavern is? Where it goes? Or how many other eggs or even creatures there are down there?

Did she really "wipe them out?" I honestly think the odds are on the low side.

And all of this is leaving out the fact that (as much as I can't stand it) the colony survived the explosion in A:CM. Which has been sold as canon. So if it can survive at that range, I'd guarantee the derelict did.

OpenMaw

Huggs, do you really think that anyone at Fox gives two flying f**ks what A:CM said?

"Ooh, aw, canon." Canon is such a fluid and broad thing that changes all the time, and most of the people who get hung up on it can't even spell it right.

Look at how badly Covenant risks completely screwing the canon of the entire series. Cut to a few years from now when they make another film in the series or reboot the thing and all of that goes out the window.

I actually love the idea of the company not having the coordinates on file, and after Alien 3 they go back to LV-426 and spend years and lot's of money searching for the right place. Just some of the visuals, having them excavate the whole thing out, defusing it from the rock.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 07:10:38 AM
Huggs, do you really think that anyone at Fox gives two flying f**ks what A:CM said?

Heck no. The only canon I give that game is the one I'd shoot it out of.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 07:10:38 AM
I actually love the idea of the company not having the coordinates on file, and after Alien 3 they go back to LV-426 and spend years and lot's of money searching for the right place. Just some of the visuals, having them excavate the whole thing out, defusing it from the rock.

I'm starting to wonder if that's the direction N.B. was going to go with his movie. The company going back in some years after the explosion and then having to find everything, and crap going south. Finally letting them get what they asked for.

It probably wasn't, but I do love that idea. And I'd love to see a movie like that done in the 60's or 70's style. Like Jaws or Towering Inferno. Focusing more on the actual dialogue and work of the characters. Those old movies had an eye for detail. Doing it today, I'd be concerned about studios wanting the pace increased. Give me a slow burning inquiry, a scientific endeavor with lots of interesting things to see and learn before the s.h.t.f. Give me actual intelligent people universally excited about what they're doing and seeing, oblivious to the hell they will eventually unleash.

Disclaimer: And I don't mean like the prequels. Where we have scientists that make unintelligent decisions and overall we basically learn nothing important.

SM

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 06:44:54 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 06:25:22 AM

The way the movie rolls, the AP goes up, she fights the queen and then it's bed time. The derelict is never shown to be destroyed, nor is it mentioned. Seeing as how that was the source of all the death from the first movie, Ripley's ptsd, and the eggs that caused the outbreak at Hadley's Hope, I just always wondered why it was never addressed. Wherever that derelict was, it was far enough out that Newts family had to drive to it. Do I personally think it survived? Yeah, mostly. Although it looked like it had decayed somewhat since the first film, which could have made it less structurally sound.

Does the fact that it's not addressed in the movie mean it wasn't destroyed? No, I suppose not.

I just think it's destruction is too important an event not to be mentioned or shown. Even if she would've asked Bishop to scan the area, it would've helped. But there's nothing. So either Ripley just assumed it was gone with the processor, or it was on oversight by Cameron. I'm inclined to think it was an oversight. Big boom, everything must be gone.

Well, I personally don't think so. Likely not the eggs underground. So yeah, Ripley saw the death of all the grown xenomorphs. But she also missed the egg on the sulaco that got everybody killed. A moron? absolutely not. Human? Absolutely.

Like I said, the movie shows us what Cameron wanted us to see. A big boom, the queen fight, then lights out. Unless it's directly addressed on film, it's all up in the air. Seeing is believing.

We've only seen a portion of a large underground cavern. Who knows how big that cavern is? Where it goes? Or how many other eggs or even creatures there are down there?

Did she really "wipe them out?" I honestly think the odds are on the low side.

And all of this is leaving out the fact that (as much as I can't stand it) the colony survived the explosion in A:CM. Which has been sold as canon. So if it can survive at that range, I'd guarantee the derelict did.

The most generous word for the justification that Ripley forgot is 'ludicrous'.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 06:44:54 AM

Assuming it is a cavern and not the cargo hold of the Derelict, which is what it actually looks like given the perfect round shape of it..

That game was a bad joke with so much inaccuracies, Fox likely doesn't considered it canon. The devs may have spouted it as such before the release, but its not the case now me thinks, so take relief in that  :laugh:

SM

It ain't canon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed