Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu

Started by Predalien39, Mar 03, 2023, 09:34:45 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Casts David Jonsson, Archie Renaux, Spike Fearn, and Aileen Wu (Read 24,978 times)

Cosmic Incubation

Yeah it feels like a reach to see the budget as a red flag tbh.
Especially since horror has always been a genre famous for sparking creativity and quality out of budget limitations. And it's not like $75m is some small amount of money for a film.

Don't really see much point in getting all strung out about the casting either.
With the quality of Prey and everything that Alvarez has done before, everything has me pretty optimistic about this, personally.

I can understand a certain level of cynicism towards big-studio films in todays day and age.
But we don't really have any info on the film that warrants writing it off entirely, by any means.
It seems like there's a subset of people who thrive off of hating something no matter what.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 10, 2023, 05:15:54 PMInterresting to see what TomT is writing about us on other sites:

Quote from: Tom ThomasIf you look at Alien's biggest fansite AvP Galaxy, most folks there are in full denial mode: "we don't know anything yet", "let's wait and see", "just because all actors look like tik tok teenagers, doesn't mean they are gonna look like teenagers in a movie, we haven't seen makeup/lighting yet", "who said it's gonna be young adult flick, do we have a confirmation?", "Sigourney was 28 when she did Alien". It doesn't take a genius to figure out what kind of movie they are making looking at this cast, platform and budget. Obviously hard pass and another heartbreak for a dead franchise

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/3/a9re7ydd3k9ixlx9fbvsyglopi0z4q

I'm glad you are reading World of Reel too, my man, but I didn't really say anything I didn't say here, so not sure why people are offended by this, I didn't insult anyone, this is nothing more than observation from the side and I used quotes I saw here without mentioning anyone. if you are so uncomfortable with what you write on a public forum you are offended to see your own quote, then maybe you shouldn't write in the first place. I do think that a lot of people on the forum are in denial mode when they are reaching so hard for excuses they claim that actors who were chosen to look like teenagers specifically are not gonna look like that with makeup and lighting, that's just laughable, c'mon.

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: TomT on Mar 10, 2023, 10:43:19 PMI do think that a lot of people on the forum are in denial mode when they are reaching so hard they claim that actors who were chosen to look like teenagers specifically are not gonna look like that with makeup and lighting, that's just laughable, c'mon.

I think you're the one reaching that having a cast of young, teenager-looking actors is a sufficient enough reason to go completely hopeless on this film having any kind of potential. And that having any kind of optimism or even indifference is insane because of this one arbitrary reason.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Mar 10, 2023, 10:58:14 PM
Quote from: TomT on Mar 10, 2023, 10:43:19 PMI do think that a lot of people on the forum are in denial mode when they are reaching so hard they claim that actors who were chosen to look like teenagers specifically are not gonna look like that with makeup and lighting, that's just laughable, c'mon.

I think you're the one reaching that having a cast of young, teenager-looking actors is a sufficient enough reason to go completely hopeless on this film having any kind of potential. And that having any kind of optimism or even indifference is insane because of this one arbitrary reason.
Just for this franchise. When you have a franchise that didn't have a single film with a fully positive reception in almost 4(!) decades at this point, it's okay to be very skeptical, especially when the concept looks so bad and director's last film is garbage with a couple of nice shots. "Wait and see" is reserved for something that didn't have this kind of history or at least has trust. And it's not reaching to think that young adult concept is a very bad idea for this particular franchise where the closest thing to it was one of the worst films ever made and the worst film in both Alien and Predator franchises. Maybe Friday The 13th in space with dumb teens against Alien sounds like something very exciting for people here, who knows. People bringed up Evil Dead remake, but Evil Dead remake is consistent with its original film in terms of cast, so it's not the same thing at all, especially when actors there still looked older than Romulus cast. But I still think Romulus is gonna be better than Requiem, for what it's worth, simply because Fede is a lot more competent director than Strauss brothers.

And why Prey is used here as an example of some incredible masterpiece is beyond me, did our standards fall so low at this point that Predators-level movie (and I thought Predators was better) is now considered a brilliant piece of filmmaking? Being better than Black's Predator is hardly an achievement worth singing about.

Quote from: Serpico Jones on Mar 10, 2023, 09:34:13 PM$75m is plenty when you consider the first movie, which is one of the best films of all time, had a budget of $40m adjusted for inflation.
Alien wouldn't cost 40 mln today (already discussed in this or different thread), counting only inflation is incorrect way to predict what it would cost today because cost of making films increased significantly since those days, to say the least. Top Gun cost 15 mln in 1986. Top Gun sequel cost 170 mln in 2018-2020. Just a random example. Plus we have Prey from Hulu which supposedly had 65 mln budget and looked like it was made for a third of it at most. If 65 mln budget is incorrect, good. But if it's correct, then 75 mln budget is concerning.

Cosmic Incubation

Nah I definitely get the skepticism and caution towards any new film in the franchise. I think everyone here and in the fanbase has a pretty healthy amount of it, more or less. Especially considering the quality differences in the series, as you pointed out. There's plenty of various discussions and opinions about the low-points in the franchise here.

We're certainly not expecting everyone to be sunshine and rainbows, 100% expecting it to save the franchise or anything. We just don't seem have that extreme pessimistic attitude that you seem to have about it. Especially since, as you've also pointed out, there's potential with Alvarez as director.

And your post in that other forum saying that everyone here is in "full denial mode" because we aren't convinced the film is going to be trash just because of the casting just makes your argument come across extremely condescending and not from a in-good-faith place tbh. Probably just gonna part ways with you on this here.

TomT

TomT

Half of the quotes I listed have nothing to do with whether it's trash or not, it's outright denial it's gonna be a young adult flick (and I don't mean MPAA rating) and denial of the fact that cast is playing teenagers. Just say that you like the concept and excited about this, no need to dance around and pretend that the cast is not playing teens because "we haven't seen makeup and lighting" or pretend that Sigourney looked like teen when she didn't, that's just pathetic.

But what I'm actually surpised by is that most people here are excited about this kind of Alien follow up. Maybe I haven't seen reactions to other Alien films announcements and people were excited as hell about Requiem too, who knows. But complaining about Blomkamp's Alien and at the same praising this, I don't get it, maybe I'm just confused and this is Alien hate site?

And by the way, Jane Lavy looked older than Cailee Spaeny and Jane looked young, but not this young. Caliee looks like she didn't finish high school yet, the same with Merced. Supporting characters in Evil Dead remake looked older than the rest of Romulus cast too and again, they are consistent with the original Evil Dead.

SiL

Nobody's praising anything.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: SiL on Mar 11, 2023, 01:35:25 AMNobody's praising anything.
I've seen plenty of excited comments here or at least cautiously optimistic, it would've been a really positive thread without my presence, so overall mood is positive.

kwisatz

Quote from: TomT on Mar 11, 2023, 01:03:09 AMAnd by the way, Jane Lavy looked older than Cailee Spaeny and Jane looked young, but not this young. Caliee looks like she didn't finish high school yet, the same with Merced.

You sure this is still about an Alien movie for you?

TomT

TomT

Quote from: kwisatz on Mar 11, 2023, 01:51:55 AMYou sure this is still about an Alien movie for you?
I'm just commenting on some arguments people bring up that Evil Dead remake cast is the same thing when it's clearly not.

But I'm mostly angry because every single Alien project that had a chance to be finally good without question marks was killed and instead they are doing this and Hoawley's show, or when Fox killed Scott/Cameron/Sigourney's Alien 5 to do Alien vs Predator. This kind of optimism and excitement I see here is incredible considering you could literally die before you see not only a legitimately good movie in this franchise, but even a video-game because it takes almost 4 decades so far to see a single one. Even Star Wars have a lot more bright spots and its toxic fanbase is still mad as hell about the way Disney handles it. Only Jurassic franchise has even worse handling than Alien, with the only positive thing is theatrical release, but Jurassic doesn't have an active fanbase despite lore and stuff, and relies heavily on average Joes who just want to see dinosaurs.

SiL

Quote from: TomT on Mar 11, 2023, 01:40:02 AM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 11, 2023, 01:35:25 AMNobody's praising anything.
I've seen plenty of excited comments here or at least cautiously optimistic, it would've been a really positive thread without my presence, so overall mood is positive.
So people saying "hopefully this isn't awful!" is living in denial to you?

Do you have anything to actually contribute to the discussion or are you just here to be miserable?

TomT

TomT

Quote from: SiL on Mar 11, 2023, 02:15:14 AMSo people saying "hopefully this isn't awful!" is living in denial to you?
That's your words, not mine, maybe you didn't read comments above where I specifically described denial parts like "we haven't seen them in makeup and lighting yet" or "Sigourney looked like a kid too".

I've seen plenty of excited comments about director, streaming release and concept, and generally positive mood with Prey being used as an example of a masterpiece of a film, only a couple of them were just "hopefully this isn't awful!", but when this is the least positive comment you could find besides mine, that usually means positive reactions.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 11, 2023, 02:15:14 AMDo you have anything to actually contribute to the discussion or are you just here to be miserable?
There's nothing of substance to discuss about this one, I said what I wanted to say, at this point I'm only curious if Requiem had the same fan excitement before release.

Rudiger

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Rudiger on Mar 11, 2023, 07:48:26 PMKids in space. Please no.

Don't watch this movie called ALIENS. I hear it's got kids in it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed