Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 93,929 times)

Master

Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2021, 11:41:01 AM
Quote from: Master on Apr 16, 2021, 11:31:01 AM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 16, 2021, 11:21:17 AM
Quote from: Master on Apr 16, 2021, 10:03:39 AM
I hope they`ll get what they deserve. Ideal situation would be, where Jim and John get their credit and Skulls is still relesed.
It's not about credit, as they already get that.
It`s about money, as it always is. I do hope it`s also about creative control and possibility of another sequel. One can dream.

They're already making another sequel and Predator 2 didn't exactly hit the mark.

Another sequel with Thomas brothers involved. I know Skulls is in production and I wish it well. Predator 2 became cult classic over the years. P1 and P2 are considered by vast majority as best the franchise has to offer.

BigDaddyJohn

Indeed, I saw a tremendous amount of critics saying Predator 2 was lacking Arnold  ::)

As if it was a bad thing the movie did like a technical error or some like that smh.

Nightmare Asylum

Predator 2 is great.

It is also the most recently released film with the word "Predator" in the title that I can attribute the word "great" to. It is absolute schlock in the best possible way.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 16, 2021, 08:09:51 AM
I'm really conflicted about this. Selfishly, I don't want this to get in the way of Skulls, Hunting Grounds, the comic, the other stuff that's coming that hasn't been announced (there's a couple). And on top of that, it's the people working on those products that are going to suffer as well.

But on the other hand, Jim and John 100% deserve their dues. It's no secret most people prefer 1 and 2 (I still stand by Predators) so I'm sure plenty of people would love to see the franchise back in their hands. But Skulls' premise is too interesting to me, I don't want to see this get in the way of it.

Can I be just as selfish as you?  :laugh:

Proteus

Proteus

The news of the copyright shouldn't be too surprising. It was mentioned right around the time the news broke that Disney was acquiring several Fox properties. So Disney knew this was coming to a head which is why they've been attempting to fast track certain projects.

On one hand, I am all for creators maintaining rights and/or reaping large benefits for their work. So good on them. Hope they get what they deserve.

On the other hand (and as a selfish fan of the franchise), this sucks royally. I've seen some talk that they'll just settle out of court, and I don't believe that will happen. There's a reason they're represented by the lawyer involved with the Friday the 13th and Hellraiser cases. Look how long those have been tied up with little to no new content. No, this is going to get messy and the fans will suffer the lack of anything new.

And say what you will about Disney property, but as a fan of the franchise, I was looking so forward to at least having a new film and surely that production will cease. And who's to say the Thomas brothers have any intention of wanting to do anything with the property once rights revert to them. Who's to say they even want more of anything to be made. Money talks of course and they could shop it to other studios. But instead of having a new film in the next 2 years, we're looking at SEVERAL years if at all.

Again, good for the Thomas brothers. Bad for the fans. Le Huge Freaking Sigh.

SiL

Quote from: Master on Apr 16, 2021, 11:31:01 AM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 16, 2021, 11:21:17 AM
Quote from: Master on Apr 16, 2021, 10:03:39 AM
I hope they`ll get what they deserve. Ideal situation would be, where Jim and John get their credit and Skulls is still relesed.
It's not about credit, as they already get that.
It`s about money, as it always is. I do hope it`s also about creative control and possibility of another sequel. One can dream.
Sure, but they already get royalties is my point. Rights are a whole other ball game.

Drukathi

I think it is worth waiting for several years in order to get a good film that respects the viewer and the franchise, than get another exploitation film, which will cause a ton of hate and fail at the box-office, like its wbroken brothers.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I do honestly love the sound of the upcoming "Skulls" project. Trachtenberg is cool (I love 10 Cloverfield Lane) and it sounds like it has the potential to easily be the best Predator movie since Predator 2. I genuinely want to see this movie.

I also genuinely hope that the Thomas Brothers do wind up with the rights to the work they created, and that they gain the right to choose to license out, sell, or create within the Predator brand as they see fit. It would be great to see them shake up that Disney monopoly a little bit right now.

If it comes down to having to choose between the two, then I choose the creators' ownership of their own property, rather than Disney's ownership.

Voodoo Magic

^ Best of both worlds....

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 16, 2021, 12:38:37 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 16, 2021, 08:09:51 AM
I'm really conflicted about this. Selfishly, I don't want this to get in the way of Skulls, Hunting Grounds, the comic, the other stuff that's coming that hasn't been announced (there's a couple). And on top of that, it's the people working on those products that are going to suffer as well.

But on the other hand, Jim and John 100% deserve their dues. It's no secret most people prefer 1 and 2 (I still stand by Predators) so I'm sure plenty of people would love to see the franchise back in their hands. But Skulls' premise is too interesting to me, I don't want to see this get in the way of it.

Can I be just as selfish as you?  :laugh:

Thirded.

Best case would be a ruling that all projects will continue as its litigated in court. Is there precedent for that? Perhaps with Superman?

Quote from: Proteus on Apr 16, 2021, 12:38:51 PM
The news of the copyright shouldn't be too surprising. It was mentioned right around the time the news broke that Disney was acquiring several Fox properties. So Disney knew this was coming to a head which is why they've been attempting to fast track certain projects.

On one hand, I am all for creators maintaining rights and/or reaping large benefits for their work. So good on them. Hope they get what they deserve.

On the other hand (and as a selfish fan of the franchise), this sucks royally. I've seen some talk that they'll just settle out of court, and I don't believe that will happen. There's a reason they're represented by the lawyer involved with the Friday the 13th and Hellraiser cases. Look how long those have been tied up with little to no new content. No, this is going to get messy and the fans will suffer the lack of anything new.

And say what you will about Disney property, but as a fan of the franchise, I was looking so forward to at least having a new film and surely that production will cease. And who's to say the Thomas brothers have any intention of wanting to do anything with the property once rights revert to them. Who's to say they even want more of anything to be made. Money talks of course and they could shop it to other studios. But instead of having a new film in the next 2 years, we're looking at SEVERAL years if at all.

Spoiler
[close]

Quote from: Drukathi on Apr 16, 2021, 12:49:17 PM
I think it is worth waiting for several years in order to get a good film that respects the viewer and the franchise, than get another exploitation film, which will cause a ton of hate and fail at the box-office, like its wbroken brothers.

You've seen Cameron come back to Terminator  and Ridley Scott come back to Alien though. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee anything will improve.

To avoid the hassle of typing the same thoughts over again, I'll just port over what I just said in the Skulls thread:

I love all those guys, and unabashedly love the Thomas Brothers even more, but something sweet inside these creatives can definitely sour over time, that's for certain. That's the risk.

Now, you tell me the Thomas brothers have unproduced Predator scripts decades old, maybe a full unrealized Predator 3 period-piece script featuring that beloved flintlock on the shelf, perhaps written in 1990 or 1991?  Then yes please! By all means! Make that!

It is relevant to note that when the Thomas brothers teased the ending of Predator 2 in 1990 interviews as possibly setting up a third film, they did say that they were (among others) offered a chance to direct Predator 3. So who knows how far they got scriptwise in relation to that potential offer.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Well, Ridley's Alien prequels absolutely have their passionate fans. Fans are certainly in contention as to whether or not they improved the franchise overall, but the movies certainly generate extensive discussion and add a whole lot to talk about, regardless of which side of the fence you fall on, and to me that is pretty fascinating in and of itself. Love 'em or hate 'em, they really have people talking.

I'm in the minority with Dark Fate, but if you ask me, the worst thing about that movie is Tim Miller's directing. But I see it as an improvement over the non-Cameron movies by a long shot, even if it is ultimately redundant and doesn't add anything of note to the original two films.

If the Thomas Brothers do win here, though, I don't really expect them to actually sit down and write another Predator movie themselves. But if the rights are due to return to them, as per their original contract that they signed, then that is something that absolutely should happen and, thus, they should have the autonomy over their creation to decide how they license it out (or, if they so choose, to sell it outright) and to whom. Hell, for all we know, they might win this and then offer to sell it right back to Disney for a big ol' profit on their end. And if they do, then that's their choice.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Proteus on Apr 16, 2021, 12:38:51 PM

Well I doubt it, but if they succeed, I hope they make a sequel to Predator 2. I'm interested in the creatures, not the characters. After all, the Predator series is not Ducth story as is the case with much of Alien's film continuity and Ripley. I still prefer the creatures though.

Having said that, I'm still in unconditional love with the Predator Lost Tribe Ship. Probably the most interesting thing in the entire franchise, even more than in Predator, that was a solid starting point. But Predator 2 ended with te Space Jockey so to speak. However,  even with that in mind, I can't put scope aside, because this is supposed to take place in the near future albeit somewhat dystopian. A setting playing between crime fiction & science fiction,  plus all this worldbuilding involving Jamaican gangsters fighting other cartels while delivering the kind of sequencies you may expect from the 80s action cinema.

I'd actually like to see another Predator movie set in some dystopian future again. And in the past! Although Skull is exactly that soo yes. Even when I try not to be selfish I'm still even more selfish  :laugh:

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 16, 2021, 01:04:43 PM
Thirded.

Best case would be a ruling that all projects will continue as its litigated in court. Is there precedent for that? Perhaps with Superman?

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster? oh yeah. And welcome to the selfish camp!  ;D

SuperiorIronman

The only way this would end up like Superboy and Jason is if Predators like Scar aren't considered derivatives and are separate legal entities owned by Fox. It's doubtful though. I think this would require them to have a separate copyright for each Predator they'd claim to own and while they did end up naming them I don't think they ever had one under an individual copyright.

AVP is also considered derivative works at least by that document but if Fox can provide a counter to that then they could hold onto the AVP Predators. However that's very doubtful and a best case scenario.

Really if they wanted to hold onto it then they just drop the thing and cut a deal with the Thomas brothers to keep everything going. They get a cut of the profit and everyone can remain in business. Though that's being idealistic since in addition to gaining the profits from the franchise likely want creative control and that means things could look a bit messy. In more ways than one we're starting at 0 on Saturday if that makes sense.

Ahsoka

I hope it all ends well and we can have a Friday the 13th vs Predator film.

Crawler

Jim & John Thomas reclaiming the rights does not mean they'll write every new film/series/comics by themselves, I don't know why some of you are assuming that.

XENOMORPHOSIS

My face when I read this.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlusteredWarlikeBats-size_restricted.gif

It's possible that Skulls could be scrapped. Hope what ever the outcome we can get some great quality Predator movies. Here's a question, in 2014 Ron Shusett and Dan OBannon's estate, Dan passed away in 2009 could have used to retain Alien, if the Predator rights revert it could mean they'll be no more Aliens vs Predator separating the two indefinitely.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed