Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,161 times)

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 16, 2021, 02:38:42 PM
Unless the Thomas Brothers do not want project control over their reclaimed license, I think just bumping some slightly higher percent of proceeds as a solution is just a gross oversimplification. And who says the Brothers will settle on a number equating to "slight"?

Also a lawsuit like this can create bad blood on both sides, and when that's your launching pad, all it takes is Disney saying the Thomas Brothers want too much money and control, the Brothers saying Disney is low-balling, and then I can 100% see Disney playing hardball, stop negotiating and just putting the franchise on ice for a few years. No doomsday scenarios here, just being a realist, especially looking at how Disney has handled other situations like icing out X-Men from Marvel pre acquisition, or the Islands of Adventure debacle. There doesn't seem to be a concern over halting content for fans, if the wait-it-out approach brings the desired result.

I remember reading that Fox's explanation why they canceled the series "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" after two seasons while other shows with similar cost & similar ratings survived was because Fox didn't fully own the show. So unless the Thomas Brothers sell Hunter all back to Disney for a one time sum, I think Predator will also be dealing with these type of obstacles.

So with all of this, I rather be prepared for what possibly may come, than not prepared.  :)

https://y.yarn.co/61191c82-5b10-424b-bd3c-121c560ff1bd_text.gif

As usual great wisdom in your words Voodoo.

My concern is Disney will not be interested in continuing the Predator franchise, its last films were not the kind of successes Disney wants, they usually want 1 Billion grossing films now, and a R rated film can't crack that number.

SuperiorIronman

While I would love for Predator to join the billion dollar club, it's not realistic. Not unless they plan on a Pg-13 series so audiences can actually see the thing since by nature of it being R-rated your audience is that much smaller. You need to be realistic about horror franchises since they're cheaper to make but they make their money by virtue of it being cheap.

Though Disney could always use them for the comics or games and especially the games since Predator adapts fairly well to videogames. It doesn't need to just be the movies. You also possess crossover potential with any one franchise they own and AVP is still fairly popular given that's how a lot of modern fans are introduced to the character. It doesn't have to be strictly movies and could even go an animated route. Plenty of options Disney has than to just do superheroes.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 17, 2021, 02:15:45 AM
While I would love for Predator to join the billion dollar club, it's not realistic. Not unless they plan on a Pg-13 series so audiences can actually see the thing since by nature of it being R-rated your audience is that much smaller. You need to be realistic about horror franchises since they're cheaper to make but they make their money by virtue of it being cheap.

Though Disney could always use them for the comics or games and especially the games since Predator adapts fairly well to videogames. It doesn't need to just be the movies. You also possess crossover potential with any one franchise they own and AVP is still fairly popular given that's how a lot of modern fans are introduced to the character. It doesn't have to be strictly movies and could even go an animated route. Plenty of options Disney has than to just do superheroes.

Oh I'd love a Predator or AVP Anime! There is so much that can be done in that form of animation at a low budget cost. Disney is already doing this with Star Wars Visions (Anime).

Voodoo Magic

We reportedly already had an AvP Anime for Netflix in the works, perhaps even completed depending on the source. But the story is Disney axed it after the acquisition was completed.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 17, 2021, 02:15:45 AM
While I would love for Predator to join the billion dollar club, it's not realistic. Not unless they plan on a Pg-13 series so audiences can actually see the thing since by nature of it being R-rated your audience is that much smaller. You need to be realistic about horror franchises since they're cheaper to make but they make their money by virtue of it being cheap./quote]

Hence the production of Skulls for Hulu, if what Marc Toberoff said is correct.

[Quite]Though Disney could always use them for the comics or games and especially the games since Predator adapts fairly well to videogames. It doesn't need to just be the movies. You also possess crossover potential with any one franchise they own and AVP is still fairly popular given that's how a lot of modern fans are introduced to the character. It doesn't have to be strictly movies and could even go an animated route. Plenty of options Disney has than to just do superheroes.

Predator is so versatile, I think it can even fit in the Marvel comic superhero universe permanently.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 18, 2021, 12:21:03 PM
We reportedly already had an AvP Anime for Netflix in the works, perhaps even completed depending on the source. But the story is Disney axed it after the acquisition was completed.

Oh that would have been grand. Alas so many great projects abandoned.

Voodoo Magic

Hemi

Hemi

Everything illfonic touches.

It has nothing to do with them of course... but still. It's a curse haha.
They go in and create a game and suddenly there's a lawsuit lol.

SiL

This is what happens when you try to cash in on nostalgia :laugh:

SuperiorIronman

You can do weird shit with Predator and still move the universe forward. And really after soon to be five solo films and seven counting crossovers you're at a point where maybe it's not a bad idea to have an unconventional villain. A more straight adaptation of Bad Blood would get you an alien slasher but still get you Predator and while they've featured the same armament in every film nothing says they couldn't drop certain things like the cloak or mask. And that goes back to Assassin where maybe they could go further with that. I know I certainly have a few ideas for a shaman-esque mutant.

And really we could always delve into the ritualistic elements of the creature without it being a sports hunter or a film that plays with the mythology without seeing as much the creature.

Worse comes to worst I figure if Fox is left unable to use the sports hunter angle or certain weapons they do have stuff to fall back on.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 25, 2021, 12:25:40 PM
I know I certainly have a few ideas for a shaman-esque mutant.

I would love to hear those ideas. Shaman is definitely a favorite of mine among the Lost Predators.

Jurassicvania

Jurassicvania

AVP Galaxy -- jwts, Thanks for the great coverage on this (and everything else) 

Corporal Hicks

Thanks. Voodoo has been doing a great job of covering all the legal stuff!

Voodoo Magic

The appreciation is much appreciated!  :)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Thing to consider would this mean Victor Miller can legally make a new film only in United States Domestic Territory called Friday the 13th that resembled the original film with Mrs Voorhees as the killer and no presences of Jason

whereas Horror Inc could do a new film WITH NO Friday the 13th in the title and a Hockey Masked Killer NOT REFERRED to as Jason?

And that 20th Century Studios an continue to do Predator movies whereas the Thomas Brothers can make a new film called HUNTERS which the titular Monsters resembling the original Jean-Claude Van Damme design?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed