VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"?

Started by Voodoo Magic, Feb 12, 2019, 05:13:36 PM

Author
VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"? (Read 21,312 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 24, 2019, 03:31:13 PM
Actually I always felt the first series works equally well as both a Predator and Batman story. Of course fans of both may enjoy it even more. But even if you are just a predator fan the series is very faithful to the predator franchise and it definitley doesnt skimp on the gore.

Ah cool. Since it's been like 15 years since I read it, I'll refer to your expertise on the matter.  :)

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 24, 2019, 03:15:25 PM
It was a long time ago but I remember liking it too. However, how much of a Batman fan you are, might sway your opinion.

Absolutely like The Dark Knight style Batman. Is it a similar take?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 24, 2019, 05:03:55 PM
It was a long time ago but I remember liking it too. However, how much of a Batman fan you are, might sway your opinion.

Ah, now you are going to draw me to the old box, wipe the dust off, and give it a fresh read.  ;D

426Buddy will probably be able to answer this better, but if I recall - remaining spoiler free - there was a lot of 'Detective Batman' at work, the Predator was acting out of character at times, and the artwork was very good, but not at all in the Frank Miller 'The Dark Knight Returns' style.

The Old One

The Old One

No, this is a more Tim Burton-esque Batman, meaning it's fairly realistic but also colourful.

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 24, 2019, 07:36:26 PM

No, this is a more Tim Burton-esque Batman, meaning it's fairly realistic but also colourful.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. I prefer the more realistic Batman stories. So this sounds good! I'm so sad comics are a dying medium....

The Old One

The Old One

Comics aren't a dying medium, DC and Marvel are- because Image provides complete, creator driven stories.

AhabPredator

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 25, 2019, 07:15:18 PM
Comics aren't a dying medium, DC and Marvel are- because Image provides complete, creator driven stories.

True. Terrible business decisions trying to rebrand unpopular characters like 20 times over...launch each new series that does maybe 5 issues and then dies. 

Logic is devoid in the mainstream comic industry.  ::)

JokersWarPig

Yeah, I see plenty of new titles from companies other than DC and Marvel that look promising or that I hear good things about.

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 25, 2019, 08:30:07 PM

True. Terrible business decisions trying to rebrand unpopular characters like 20 times over...launch each new series that does maybe 5 issues and then dies. 

Yeah...not sure what they're thinking half the time. You have things that are really good and take certain characters in really interesting directions, like Superior Spider-Man and the first Spider-Verse for example and then where Peter Parker goes after that in ANAD. Recently though they've been kind of killing his character in a lot of peoples eyes and backtracking him unnecessarily. In contrast to that though the new Venom stuff is apparently really good and the new run for Superior Spider-Man has been promising.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 25, 2019, 09:36:53 PM

Yeah, I see plenty of new titles from companies other than DC and Marvel that look promising or that I hear good things about.

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 25, 2019, 08:30:07 PM

Yeah...not sure what they're thinking half the time. You have things that are really good and take certain characters in really interesting directions, like Superior Spider-Man and the first Spider-Verse for example and then where Peter Parker goes after that in ANAD. Recently though they've been kind of killing his character in a lot of peoples eyes and backtracking him unnecessarily. In contrast to that though the new Venom stuff is apparently really good and the new run for Superior Spider-Man has been promising.

Oh, I know what they are thinking. I know exactly why they do what they do. But those reasons belong in another subsection of the General Forum part of AvP Galaxy. If you catch my meaning. But alas, I digress. The choices they make are dumb. I've always loved Dark Horse for the majority of Alien, Predator, AvP comics. Also some Star Wars ones.

Spoiler
You should have seen what some comic pros said after Stan Lee's death. Absolutely disgraceful. Dumpster fire.
[close]

Xenomrph

Wait what? I saw pretty much nothing but universal praise and mourning when Stan Lee passed. Were people saying negative things?

AhabPredator

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 26, 2019, 06:58:16 AM
Wait what? I saw pretty much nothing but universal praise and mourning when Stan Lee passed. Were people saying negative things?

Sending PM.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

More added to the front page. Remember this is done all in fun.

ADDENDUM: February 26th, 2019:
Supplementals, some inspired by conversations with this great community.

Honor in handling the dead

There is a case to be made that the body of the City Hunter Predator was dragged out dishonorably.

One could suggest four Predators were needed to honorably carry the body of the City Hunter. By just using two, one Predator was forced to grab the City Hunter by the crook of its knee, while the other leg of the City Hunter was left dangling, made seemingly obvious by the accompanied sound effect of it dragging across the ship floor. This method certainly doesn't feel very respectful.

Compare that to the apparent honorable treatment Scar's body received in the 2004 film "Alien vs Predator", where four Predators carried Scar's dead body out on a stretcher.

Including AVP as canon or not, it's just an example that carried by four is seemingly (to human eyes) more respectful than two, in just the way they can handle the load.

The City Hunter is the first Predator to hunt in a high population center

In unused dialogue from the second draft of the "Predator 2" script, Agent Peter Keyes alleges that in 700 years of unverified accounts of Predator visits on Earth, the City Hunter was the first Predator to hunt in a high population area.

Could this practice of hunting in a high populated area be dishonorable and against Yautja code? Quite possible. Or is it just too dangerous? Either way, if Keyes is correct, hunting in the city is not at all normal Predator behavior.

Is being reckless dishonorable?

The City Hunter Predator is obviously young and reckless. Even John & Jim Thomas, the writers of both "Predator" and "Predator 2", have declared it as such in various publications.

So what does reckless mean?

• reck·less
    /ˈrekləs/adjective
    marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences.
    Irresponsible.
    (Merriam-Webster)

So being reckless is indeed bad behavior. But the question becomes, does not-caring-of-consequences or being irresponsible ever equate to dishonorable behavior to Predators (aka the fan favorite phrase "Bad Blood")?

Does recklessness get a pass when you're young, but if you're a seasoned adult Predator, it's unacceptable? Could be. Or is it, no matter what the age, even though recklessness is bad behavior, it will never equate to dishonorable behavior? Could also be. Or is there ever a point of too much? Quite possible.

No matter where one may stand on the issue, the common ground is dishonorable or not, "bad blood" or not, most of us can agree that the City Hunter Predator in "Predator 2" was at least practicing some bad behavior.

fini

AhabPredator

Jokingly.

You used AvP. Thread is invalid.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 26, 2019, 04:50:12 PM
Jokingly.

You used AvP. Thread is invalid.

Ha.  :laugh: It's only used to reinforce that, AVP or not, carried by four is seemingly (to human eyes) more respectful than two, in just the way they can handle the load.

HuDaFuK

Don't four of them pick him up and carry him on their shoulders in Predator 2?

Either way, they still come across as obviously reverent to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed