Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,161 times)

BigDaddyJohn

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jun 16, 2021, 09:40:20 PM
It's naive in that it's not like people have been trying to make worse movies.

How would you even start creating criteria to judge the quality standards against the original film? By whose objective metrics?

Trying to distill quality into a formula is what gives you interchangeable Marvel movies. I'm sure people would appreciate some better variety.

I'd say it is not niave to some degree, because when the Thomas Brothers regain control again of the US Copyright to Hunters/Predator, they'll be able to control what or any projects they allow a license to, and there will be standards defined by the brothers or whomever they put in charge of the likely small *properties company they form to manage it.

Get the right standards in place, and you could never see a film where Predators are chasing autism or Alien vs Predator films that are PG-13, or disjointed script that is not ready for primetime but is being greenlit anyway because the studio needs to meet its schedule. This all can be rejected.

I think the niave part would be to think all the film or projects will be great from that point on. That's a beautiful dream, but just a dream. But can the floor be raised to some degree? Absolutely.

This sends my whole mind to poor Dr. Seuss (not his real name). I remember reading he didn't want cheap movies made of his books, so he kept rejecting offers. He greenlit the wonderful cartoon film "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", some other things, but not much else. But once he died, his estate started selling rights like crazy resulting in a ton of sh*tty Dr. Seuss movies. His kids are rich now though.

*edit - spelling

SiL

That's more or less what I was saying. It's not naive to assume they could impose limits, but it is a little naive to assume you can actually impose meaningful controls that would keep things "in tune" with the quality of the original.

XENOMORPHOSIS

@ SiL It is admittedly not guaranteed any oversight would mean the films to come after would be any better, George Lucas had control over his Prequel Trilogy and he got backlash from fans, he sold Star wars to Disney, they went about making fan service and they got backlash, Ridley Scott director of the original Alien has over seen Prometheus and Covenant and they've been divisive to the fanbase.

If the Thomas Brother had oversight and gave approval on any Predator movie produced it may meet their standards but perhaps fall short of our expectations, not certain if bringing John McTiernan to consult would help, he's not really in the industry anymore and blacklisted for a couple of scandal's as it pertains to wiretapping his ex wife.

Voodoo Magic

It's probably unfair to view this so narrowly, but it's interesting when George Lucas, Ridley Scott and George Miller come to mind in regards to returning to classic franchises, only Miller has been able to succeed in not only meeting the level of his previous work, but even surpassing it.

Granted, the Thomas Brothers are only writers, not directors, but it would be interesting if they took a stab at writing a new Predator 3, how would they fair, and could they replicate the same quality as the first (and slowly the second) has been praised with.

We know the brothers already had a Predator 3 story idea in mind and a half-hearted offer to direct, a story that would seemingly revolve around the flintlock pistol. So my dream is that first draft was written years ago and is still begging to be made.

XENOMORPHOSIS

@ Voodoo Magic

Fair enough,
while we are getting a Predator movie set in the past its a different story the upcoming skulls, its would be great to get a movie portrayal of the Raphael Adolini 1715 story, provided its competently done and not too fen service-ish. Its likely a skepticism of the mainstream appeal of predator and big budgets concerning period pieces why its something 20th century fox\ "Now 20th Century Studios" consider risky. Hopefully if they sees there's a demand it might happen.

I just thought of something that could be ridiculous and dumb, what if the Predator we get in Skulls survives his hunt at the end of the film and is Jungle Predator from the original film, Predator's live for hundreds of years but surly they wouldn't.
  :-[

SiL

I seriously doubt they'd go that route. It being the elder from P2 could work though.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah I fantasized too in our Skulls podcast that perhaps Skulls would be a secret prequel to "Predator 2" and the Elder Predator would be featured in the film - this was before we knew it took place in pre-colonization times of course.

That flintlock pistol is a Spanish gun, and it was the Spanish that colonized much of the Comanche region in the 1700s. Of course, Raphael Adolini is an Italian name, but I pondered that perhaps the name could have been used in Spain too - and/or there were other ways to get around that.

It was cool to think about at least!

LiquidMonster

Again, I really think the brothers are simply looking for a good "pay day". Though they were apparently paid for their original script(a one time pay day I presume) I think it's a smart move for them to try to regain their rights to it under the law.

There's no doubt the Predator franchise has made hundreds of millions of dollars coming from the movies and merchandising. So what they were paid back in the 80s for their script is probably peanuts.

In the end, I think this is simply a way for the brothers to "get a pay day" that would make them happy. Disney would keep the franchise and continuing to grow/exploit the I.P.

I'd *really* be surprised if this actually makes it to an actual trial. 99% of the time, both parties to a lawsuit *NEVER* want to go that route and a mutually agreed upon settlement where everyone walks away happy is the way to go.

There's no reason the brothers shouldn't walk away from this without becoming multimillionaires(if they aren't already). Disney could throw them 5 million each(10 million dollar settlement) for example and that would wrap things up.

I still predict this case will get settled, the brothers will get paid a *private* settlement and Disney goes full steam ahead with the Predator I.P.

Guess we'll see soon!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Jun 18, 2021, 03:43:40 PM
Again, I really think the brothers are simply looking for a good "pay day". Though they were apparently paid for their original script(a one time pay day I presume) I think it's a smart move for them to try to regain their rights to it under the law.

Based on deals of the time, I assume they've received residual checks for their work on Predator and Predator 2 ever since each film turned a profit.

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Jun 18, 2021, 03:43:40 PM
There's no reason the brothers shouldn't walk away from this without becoming multimillionaires(if they aren't already). Disney could throw them 5 million each(10 million dollar settlement) for example and that would wrap things up.

If you're betting the Thomas Brothers will sell the US copyright again outright to Disney/20th Century Studios (versus license it out), I think a onetime payday of 5 million each would clearly be understating its value. No the deal wouldn't command George Lucas selling Star Wars type of cash, but considering the second sale would be to my understanding permanent, ten million total would certainly shortchange themselves.

goose_3387

I always wanted to see a true Predator 3 - would be interesting to see how the Brothers planned to expand on what they ended with in P2.

However even with a good script I wouldn't trust the present filmmakers and practical fx companies to execute it properly.

XENOMORPHOSIS

When asking Predator 3 is this specifically the  Raphael Adolini flintlock pistol backstory with Pirates? or a new modern set Predator film in a heat wave warzone whether it be middle east or something?

Predators and The Predator have their fans but admittedly have their shortcoming, having the Thomas Brothers pen their Predator 3 might bring some legitimacy to the franchise, though we were saying the same thing about Shane Black.

Voodoo Magic

The Thomas Brothers alluded to the possibilities of having a Predator film in the past, but never outright 100% confirmed that's where they would go.

Here's a couple interview snippets where Kevin Peter Hall and the Thomas Brothers say the end of Predator 2 set up a third film. "It's a real big switch. And that sets the stage for the possibility of a third film."

OuterSpaceGuy

OuterSpaceGuy

If you want my humble opinion, I can say the Thomas Brothers brothers don't want to win the battle but gain some money from it.

These people can create one or two movies probably, but cannot establish such a big "production-line" of movies, as Disney can. On account of this, they are trying to secure a specific amount as a return for not gaining the rights.

SiL

Winning is getting more money. The usual goal of the provision is to renegotiate a better licensing fee. It would make little sense for them to take the rights and go elsewhere with them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed