Scott says "Covenant is about mortality and immortality!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Dec 31, 2016, 12:13:06 AM

Author
Scott says "Covenant is about mortality and immortality!! (Read 33,655 times)

whiterabbit

So the ones the engineers truly fear are their very own beloved parents? Oh man this race has some major daddy issues.

Although what if God was bacteria, cough midichlorians... I don't like where this is going but it sure sounds like this is where it's going.

Enoch

Enoch

I also dont like the idea of God being bacteria... :laugh:
But Goo could certainly be something Engineers found
somewhere in their Eden (perhaps it was guarded by that
first xenolike entity) and some of them used it to create life
sacrificing themselves for that cause and others used it for
their selfish intentions... and then something happened to them.

Goo is more similar to Eitir than pure organic mutagen, accelerant or
some microorganism... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eitr
Ridley spoke about goo in directors commentary, he compared it to ebola saying that Engineers made it...
I never liked that explanation. He even spoke about ceiling mural... he said it depicts some kind of self sacrificing
of that humanoid figure in order to complete the last phase of that "dangerous creation" as Ridley described it.

prometheusfire08

prometheusfire08

I think the source is that green stone 😉

just like in the color from outer space by lovecraft .

it fell to their planet and the radiation causes mutations in everything it reaches , they placed it in that room with the urns acting like batteries ..... soaking up the radiation 😊😊😊

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Enoch on Jan 03, 2017, 09:14:14 PM
" purely random (stochastic) process has a precise definition and understanding"

Why do we call them random in the first place... If we have an explanation, definition and understanding of them..then they are not random. They do not need to be tagged as stochastic or deterministic because all divisions are limiting in their nature... all divisions and classifications are deterministic...  We humans tend to be too deterministic and chained by the limitations of our understandings (systems) and interpretations... while our "Creator" or Logos or Cosmos (however you wan to call it) is certainly liberated from those chains of determinism, certainty, randomness and something we call reason... etc. God is reason per se and therefore is infinite, while human reason is by nature limited within itself... To understand something like cosmos and "laws of very existence" we would need more than science and our current rationality. We need to free the mind of all limitations... but again, how can someone do that... as you said, with our FINITE intellect?

Hi Enoch,

I agree.  I thought that was exactly what I just wrote.  Please read once again...

Quote from: Deuterium on Jan 03, 2017, 08:56:33 PM
With that said, it is my belief that what will forever be a non-deterministic event or process, for our finite intellect, is completely known (determined) by an infinite Creator.

Quote from: Spiderpope on Jan 03, 2017, 09:01:09 PM
Mutation is random. Evolution through natural selection is not, the process is not a random one. Unfortunately it looks like Covenant is going to be as unscientific as Prometheus.

Hello Spiderpope,

Yikes...whiplash.

I believe that is exactly what I just explained.  Please re-read my prior post/reply to you.

Quote from: Deuterium on Jan 03, 2017, 07:51:03 PM

Well, that is not quite true.  The first part of the process is random, i.e. mutation of the genome.  It is the 2nd part that is non-random,...i.e. Natural Selection working upon the expressed mutation (phenotype), typically at the organism level, and differentially selecting that adaptation best conferring survival/reproductive advantage in a changing local environment.

Cheers,
John

Game_Over_Man

But who created the Goo?

In the end, I'm not sure I want all of these questions answered, these aren't the reason we want to watch these movies...it was the mystery and fear of not knowing that appealed.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: Deuterium on Jan 03, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

Hi Enoch,

I agree.  I thought that was exactly what I just wrote.  Please read once again...

Quote from: Deuterium on Jan 03, 2017, 08:56:33 PM
With that said, it is my belief that what will forever be a non-deterministic event or process, for our finite intellect, is completely known (determined) by an infinite Creator.

Yes, I know we agree about that. I ve read all your previous posts...
You know some serious stuff. :D Fine "reasoning". ;D

Wish you all the best.

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on Jan 03, 2017, 10:58:14 PM
But who created the Goo?

In the end, I'm not sure I want all of these questions answered, these aren't the reason we want to watch these movies...it was the mystery and fear of not knowing that appealed.

I think we need some mystery... at this point, Space Jockey mystery from alien
is pretty diminished by the introduction of Engineers... now we need some serious
mysteries and of course some answers.

rabidranger

Doesn't David say something like "in order to create you must destroy"-or am I imagining that? Seems to be taken straight from the Engineers' playbook though. They did that at the beginning of Prometheus (even if it seemed somewhat benign).

Deuterium

Quote from: Enoch on Jan 03, 2017, 11:04:03 PM

Yes, I know we agree about that. I ve read all your previous posts...
You know some serious stuff. :D Fine "reasoning". ;D

Wish you all the best.

Thanks, Enoch.  Same here.   8)

Cheers, mate.

Seegson

Seegson

Quote from: Enoch on Jan 03, 2017, 09:14:14 PM
" purely random (stochastic) process has a precise definition and understanding"

Why do we call them random in the first place... If we have an explanation, definition and understanding of them..then they are not random. They do not need to be tagged as stochastic or deterministic because all divisions are limiting in their nature... all divisions and classifications are deterministic...  We humans tend to be too deterministic and chained by the limitations of our understandings (systems) and interpretations... while our "Creator" or Logos or Cosmos (however you wan to call it) is certainly liberated from those chains of determinism, certainty, randomness and something we call reason... etc. God is reason per se and therefore is infinite, while human reason is by nature limited within itself... To understand something like cosmos and "laws of very existence" we would need more than science and our current rationality. We need to free the mind of all limitations... but again, how can someone do that... as you said, with our FINITE intellect?

God its a human concept...our finite intellect it what makes "god" the first answer for questions we dont know how tondeal with "yet"

prometheusfire08

prometheusfire08

@ Enoch and seegson

the prometheus scans showed the environment to be toxic ?
the crew wore protective gear ........

the crews scans show the environment within the structures to be clean .......
NOBODY died of airborne pathogens......... the scans were 100% correct

your points are COMPLETELY pointless

even in covenant they are infected by an alien lifeform .... NOT airborne viruses or disease , which I'm also sure the covenants scans will show to be none existing .

Seegson

Quote from: prometheusfire08 on Jan 05, 2017, 05:36:28 PM
@ Enoch and seegson

the prometheus scans showed the environment to be toxic ?
the crew wore protective gear ........

the crews scans show the environment within the structures to be clean .......
NOBODY died of airborne pathogens......... the scans were 100% correct

your points are COMPLETELY pointless

even in covenant they are infected by an alien lifeform .... NOT airborne viruses or disease , which I'm also sure the covenants scans will show to be none existing .

We dont know yet abour Covenant. The planet could be totally analized before. BUT in prometheus its a no-sense. Their scans were used to find out if the air was bretheable ..not to find bio-pathogens.

Lexxdog

Lexxdog

The real reason they don't wear spacesuits our bio suits is because Hollywood want you to be able to see who talking and who doing what all actor are vain and want to be seen on camera plus the big studio boss think we want be able to work out what's going on

Anonymous

Anonymous

no they scanned the molecular composition of the planet aswell..........

how would you imagine them picking up never before encountered organisms without having the previous data to recognise and confirm that data ?

with the amount of Arial and antenna featured on the ship prometheus I doubt they only scanned for breathable air ......

my point is this , we didn't see shaws inception or birth , by your logic she shouldn't even be in the movie because we didn't see her birth .......
we don't get to see captain janeks parents raising him correctly so Scott took major liberties in just expecting us to except him as the pilot of a very expensive ship.

lv_226

Quote from: prometheusfire08 on Jan 03, 2017, 10:40:16 PM

it fell to their planet and the radiation causes mutations in everything it reaches , they placed it in that room with the urns acting like batteries ..... soaking up the radiation 😊😊😊
If only we would get something like this.. how lucky would we be?!

Mustangjeff

Quote from: lv_226 on Jan 06, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
Quote from: prometheusfire08 on Jan 03, 2017, 10:40:16 PM

If only we would get something like this.. how lucky would we be?!

That would be nice, but unfortunately I think it was a case where someone thought a gem would look better than a bowl.

Perhaps someone was rooting around an old prop room and came across the gem used in the movie, "Romancing the Stone"   :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed