Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5

Started by shakermakerman, Feb 26, 2015, 09:12:49 PM

Author
Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5 (Read 60,120 times)

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

Nothing needs to be in a neat package, I like Prometheus and A:I but ACM is a horrible game and yet a perfect example of why so many want this retcon.
Alien3 being great aside, it didn't leave people in a place with a lot of creative freedom- as I've mentioned in other threads, I've seen ten years of comics dancing around the issue.

If they can make a story after Aliens and still have 3 and Resurrection canon then go for it. But if its going to hinder making one last good Alien film, I don't really mind ignoring 3 and Resurrection.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Feb 28, 2015, 06:54:02 PM
Nothing needs to be in a neat package, I like Prometheus and A:I but ACM is a horrible game and yet a perfect example of why so many want this retcon.
Alien3 being great aside, it didn't leave people in a place with a lot of creative freedom- as I've mentioned in other threads, I've seen ten years of comics dancing around the issue.

The reason Alien 3 left little creative freedom was because it was the end of Ripleys story. From that point there should have been new series in the franchise with new characters (which Rez tried to do).

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Feb 28, 2015, 08:15:00 PM
Quote from: Son Of Kane on Feb 28, 2015, 06:54:02 PM

The reason Alien 3 left little creative freedom was because it was the end of Ripleys story. From that point there should have been new series in the franchise with new characters (which Rez tried to do).

Exactamundo!

Too bad FOX can't keep their d!cks in their pants. Even so A:R kept all the doors open for new stories, maybe not the stories many of the fans have a hard-on for.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 28, 2015, 08:37:40 PMExactamundo!

Too bad FOX can't keep their d!cks in their pants. Even so A:R kept all the doors open for new stories, maybe not the stories many of the fans have a hard-on for.
Hey! I'm open to new stories, but FIRST you have to give me a satisfying sequel to Aliens. And I say satisfying because Alien 3 (dramatic/epic sacrifice in the end, if you want me to recognize it) was one of the most underwhelming experiences I have ever had in cinema.

SiL

SiL

If your idea of a "satisfying sequel" to Aliens amounts to it being Aliens II, that hardly seems satisfying.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 28, 2015, 09:44:31 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 28, 2015, 08:37:40 PMExactamundo!

Hey! I'm open to new stories, but FIRST you have to give me a satisfying sequel to Aliens. And I say satisfying because Alien 3 (dramatic/epic sacrifice in the end, if you want me to recognize it) was one of the most underwhelming experiences I have ever had in cinema.

So you're saying you're open to new stories as long as they are like ALIENS? Got it!

And the end of A3 underwhelming? Ok pal. When it comes to cinematic taste you and I have nothing to talk about.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 28, 2015, 09:57:45 PMSo you're saying you're open to new stories as long as they are like ALIENS? Got it!
No, I mean, we all agree a new Alien saga with different characters there are like probably 5% possibilities it will be as good as the first one. The way they ended the past tetralogy was terrible, the saga would have to close in a high note to regain my trust and make me exciting to see more... Because with Alien 3 and A:R the only thing they is that the fuel had run out...

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 28, 2015, 09:57:45 PMAnd the end of A3 underwhelming? Ok pal. When it comes to cinematic taste you and I have nothing to talk about.
Most people that liked ALIENS didn't like ALIEN 3 at all. That's definitely saying something about how good idea was...

SiL

SiL

Most people who liked Aliens wanted the same sort of film again.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 09:57:21 PM
If your idea of a "satisfying sequel" to Aliens amounts to it being Aliens II, that hardly seems satisfying.
Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 10:16:30 PM

Plenty of fans love Alien 3 for being Alien 2.0.

Which you can argue it's not (because it failed to be scary.)

QuoteOk pal. When it comes to cinematic taste you and I have nothing to talk about.

Can we have less of this?

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 28, 2015, 10:18:24 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 09:57:21 PM

But Aliens was a step forward from Alien... That would mean Alien 3 is a step backwards...

SiL

SiL

True, but saying people who liked Aliens often didn't like Alien3, ergo 3 was a bad idea, isn't saying much.

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 28, 2015, 10:19:14 PM
But Aliens was a step forward from Alien... That would mean Alien 3 is a step backwards...
No, it wouldn't. Bigger isn't better, or the only logical step. The first three movies are all very different. People only celebrate the fact that one's different because they like it.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 10:20:27 PM

True, but saying people who liked Aliens often didn't like Alien3, ergo 3 was a bad idea, isn't saying much.

Agreed on that.

Magegg

Magegg

Well, people who loved Aliens hated Alien 3, because of the killing. Just like Cameron said, it was a slap on the face. One that we haven't recovered from, yet. The studio owes us that.

Rankles75

Rankles75

I just wanted to see how the next film progressed the story of the four (three and a half?) survivors, didn't matter to me if it stuck to the formula of Aliens or the original or went in a completely different direction tbh. Just wanted a strong story that lived up to the standards set by those first two films and gave the series a satisfactory conclusion. Man, was I disappointed...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed