ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event

Started by CainsSon, Apr 27, 2016, 05:20:37 AM

Author
ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event (Read 39,775 times)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Hey everyone. I figured I'd throw this up as it's own topic and let the moderator's move it, if they wish. Just so people could see it when surfing the board for new topics.

Just returned from the I V I I V I  Mondo/Alamo Drafthouse ALIENS + Q&A w/ Sigourney Weaver at TOWN HALL in NYC.
I had great seats (3rd Row). Sigourney could probably smell my pizza breath.
For real though, it was a blast seeing Aliens with Sigourney and a Sold Out Theatre.

The real news here is how much she spoke about Blomkamp's ALIEN. She didn't even have to be asked, she would bring it up in conversation and she did spill some minor, interesting details.

She speaks of the script as if - as far as she is concerned - it's happening already, and in her mind is the "most satisfying" ending of the story. When first asked about working with Michael Biehn, and their flirtation/romantic relationship in ALIENS, she added "You will see a lot more of that in the next one."
She continued to say she just wrapped something else with Blomkamp which she can't talk about, in South Africa. She stated how expansive the Alien5 story is, and mentioned that, like the other films, Blomkamp's film has a very particular new vision. She made a dig about having to "Wait for Prometheus 2" or "Whatever it's being called now." Weaver also stated how fond she is of 3 and 4 and that this film isn't going to 'Wipe them out" but run parallel to them. You can take that how you want. I took it to mean, this will be an alternate Alien 3. When asked her opinion of AVP she dropped the professionalism and said "I haven't seen it and then I heard that the Alien didn't even win so I thought 'f**k THAT!' " It was very, very funny. She of course spoke very highly of Ridley Scott and James Cameron.
One of the more interesting things she said was in response to a seemingly innocent question. An audience member asked her what she thought the fate of Jonesy, the cat, would be... Her response, to paraphrase was: That she imagines that Ripley found her a good home with a friend on Gateway station (musing) but she added "when all that is over they, I imagine the THREE of them, OR MAYBE THE FOUR OF THEM NOW, will go back and pick up Jonesy."
When we left my two friends also noted that they took that as a deliberate slip of information regarding the way the next film ends and who survives...

I feel like Im forgetting something but that's all I got for now.

I got a Mondo Tee of Ripley, and a selection of the badges from ALIEN and also a set of pins, that were exclusive. It was truly an unforgettable night. If this is what ALIEN DAY will be like every year, this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

whiterabbit

Weaver, like Scott are both excellent corporate team players. I read it as nothing more than doing their part to sell the idea that this movie has potential but I doubt anything has really gotten off of the ground yet. If Covenant does well; then they'll move on this.

Corporal Hicks

I think it's more indicative of what she's read in the script. Thanks for passing on the details and representing the AvPG community, Cain!

What I find interesting is the suggestion of that 4th person - Bishop, perhaps?

LiquidMonster

Yeah, I'm thinking it's Bishop. The movie *HAS* to have him. So you'd have Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop.

I'm still going with my theory that we'll find out the Ripley, Newt and Hicks we saw in Alien 3 were clones, thus Alien 3 and Resurrection still "counting" towards the franchise.

J.T.

You missed the part where the audience BOOed "Prometheus 2" after she brought it up.

chainsawsquirrel

sounds like it's not quite as 'on hold' as we thought.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Apr 27, 2016, 08:32:40 AMI'm still going with my theory that we'll find out the Ripley, Newt and Hicks we saw in Alien 3 were clones, thus Alien 3 and Resurrection still "counting" towards the franchise.

I really hope not. That would be such a lame story angle to take. Why the hell would anyone even want to clone them and send them to Fury 161? What would that conceivably achieve?

Clones would be equally as bas as the "it was all a dream" idea.

Alienon.

Bishop is not a human. Fourth human - Hudson! He's alive! I always knew it! ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Alienon. on Apr 27, 2016, 09:52:46 AM

Aliens.5?  :P

She doesn't say human though.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2016, 09:49:32 AM
Quote from: LiquidMonster on Apr 27, 2016, 08:32:40 AMI'm still going with my theory that we'll find out the Ripley, Newt and Hicks we saw in Alien 3 were clones, thus Alien 3 and Resurrection still "counting" towards the franchise.

I really hope not. That would be such a lame story angle to take. Why the hell would anyone even want to clone them and send them to Fury 161? What would that conceivably achieve?

Clones would be equally as bas as the "it was all a dream" idea.

I'm hoping if they're going down the alternate sequel thing, it just ignores 3 and Resurrection and goes off to do its own thing.

whiterabbit

They're just going to start another timeline from the end of Aliens. Simply put they'll be two parallel line of events after Aliens. The one where AlienĀ³ and A|R happened and the one with the new Alien 5 movie heading off into another direction from the same starting point. Like one, like neither or love both; It's all up to you.

I really like the part about picking up Jonsey. Cat's probably live to 150 in they're time. Not counting hyper sleep time.

About that 4th human, maybe they find Shaw out in the void somewhere... this movie does take place after the Prometheus|A:C events. :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 27, 2016, 10:00:30 AM
They're just going to start another timeline from the end of Aliens. Simply put they'll be two parallel line of events after Aliens. The one where AlienĀ³ and A|R happened and the one with the new Alien 5 movie heading off into another direction from the same starting point. Like one, like neither or love both; It's all up to you.

It's the only way to do it without being horribly contrived or hammy. It still makes me a little sad though as it makes the franchise a little too overtly comic booky for me. With alternate timelines and continuities and whatnot.

HuDaFuK

To be fair, all the "alternate timeline" talk will almost certainly be moot anyway - as soon as the new movie comes out, can anyone actually see them going back to the world of the older sequel films? Of course they won't. It'll just continue like they didn't happen.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2016, 10:07:25 AM
To be fair, all the "alternate timeline" talk will almost certainly be moot anyway - as soon as the new movie comes out, can anyone actually see them going back to the world of the older sequel films? Of course they won't. It'll just continue like they didn't happen.

You mean in terms of sequels? Assuming 3.2 does well, I agree.

I think it's the fans that mostly care about that though. What are we supposed to do with our marathons, god damn it?! It's only a small issue to me but it's an annoyance.  :laugh:

Buster Highman

Quote from: Alienon. on Apr 27, 2016, 09:52:46 AM

Given the context perhaps Ripley is pregnant (with child, not alien). A family of four.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2016, 10:10:10 AMYou mean in terms of sequels? Assuming 3.2 does well, I agree.

Even if it didn't, I'd be massively surprised if Fox ever put their hands up, admitted they'd messed up and went back to following the old series. I can't think of a single series where that's ever happened, no matter how shitty the attempted retcon/reboot.

If Blomkamp's movie did somehow turn out to be so bad they don't want to do any sequels, it'll probably just make a reboot far more likely. And that would suck.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 27, 2016, 10:10:10 AMI think it's the fans that mostly care about that though. What are we supposed to do with our marathons, god damn it?! It's only a small issue to me but it's an annoyance.  :laugh:

You know I don't like the idea of Blomkamp retconning things. Largely for the reasons I've just stated. It'll essentially kill of the old second-half mythology, regardless of how it turns out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed