New AVP Classic Level: Fear Factory

Started by Olde, Feb 16, 2016, 05:26:10 PM

Author
New AVP Classic Level: Fear Factory (Read 4,986 times)

Olde

Olde

So this was something that I've been wanting to do for a long time, which was to reskin the multiplayer map Meat Factory for AvP Classic. This map has always looked hideous to me, with ugly, blocky, basic textures and a nonsensical and overly brightly color scheme. So I decided to give it a bit of an update. This uses the Redux mod version of the maps (both dm and coop) to support the high-resolution textures. The textures come from Phaeton's amazing L4D2 custom map, Dark Wood. This will not conflict with your base Meat Factory maps UNLESS you use the Redux mod; if you do use the Redux mod, adding this to your game will affect your base Meat Factory maps. It may affect any other custom Redux map that uses these textures; which maps in particular I'm not sure. You do not need the Redux mod to add this to your game. However, note that it only works with AvP Classic and not Gold Edition or AvP99.

The link comes with both the DM version of the map called FearFactory, as well as the Coop version called FearFactory(c). Note that in the coop version, the back of the truck is open instead of closed.

LINK: http://avpunknown.com/avpclassic/files/maps/fearfactory.zip

To Install: Copy the folders to your root AVP Classic folder. Read the readme for more specifics.

Comparison Shots (images without the HUD are the new version)
Spoiler

[close]

All new:
Spoiler

[close]
Let me know any feedback you have (bugs, errors, confusion, etc.). Many thanks to Mad Max for the high-res update to the maps, MandatoryAlcatraz for showing me how to extract textures from .vpk's, and for everyone else who helped out!

x-M-x

x-M-x

Looking good fella.

Corporal Hicks

Looks good, olde! I really must get playing the older games again.

windebieste

Nice makeover.  This map always needed a good facelift and this looks terrific.

There'll be more people playing this old game than 'A:CM' when word gets around.

-Windeibeste.

Olde

Olde

Thanks, guys. I forgot to mention, to see the images in their original size, right-click them and hit Open Image in New Tab. The forum here restricts them to 800x600. I also made a few screenshots for a friend to show how the game uses refractive light for the predator. I thought it would be appropriate to share here since I used the same map for those demo images.

Spoiler

[close]

And here's just a little something I made for fun just to show off the marine in darkness.

Spoiler

[close]

THE CITY HUNTER

So if i download this would this work on steam?

Olde

Olde

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Feb 18, 2016, 05:06:43 PM
So if i download this would this work on steam?
Yes.

windebieste

Do you intend to give any other maps a facelift?  'Stranded' would be a good choice.  It was waaaay popular back in the day.  What's in that map...?  I think the EEV, a canyon and a bunker, if I remember correctly.

Man, gotta play that game again.  It's still arguably the best 'AvP' game released to date.  REBELLiON really nailed that one.

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 18, 2016, 08:54:36 PM
Do you intend to give any other maps a facelift?  'Stranded' would be a good choice.  It was waaaay popular back in the day.  What's in that map...?  I think the EEV, a canyon and a bunker, if I remember correctly.

Man, gotta play that game again.  It's still arguably the best 'AvP' game released to date.  REBELLiON really nailed that one.

-Windebieste.

Do you intend to return to AvP2 Winde? we miss you.

:D ;) (i hope you're not still running that P3 Machine... ) lol

Corporal Hicks

Stupid question - how do these mods install for the Steam version? Is there just an exe in the download or are we dropping in a specific location like the .rez in AvP2?

Olde

Olde

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 18, 2016, 08:54:36 PM
A modder named Mad Max made a high-res mod for AvP Classic a few years back. All the single-player and standard multiplayer games were included. Here are some images of Stranded:
Spoiler

[close]
Looking at it...there could be some touching up, or at least some exploration of other textures for the cliffs and hives. To answer your question, Meat Factory was the only priority I had because I thought the base map was atrocious. I thought Max did a good job with the rest of the maps. It would definitely depend on the textures available to me, but I don't think I would ever really try to just update a map to look the same as it did before; I would want to create a different atmosphere.

Edit: Maybe Leadworks. F*ck, I love that level. Someone find me some more rusty textures, lol. Shit, I could do Hive, too. Would definitely try to make it mossy and overgrown with plants to give it that long-since abandoned feel.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 19, 2016, 08:27:16 AM
Stupid question - how do these mods install for the Steam version? Is there just an exe in the download or are we dropping in a specific location like the .rez in AvP2?
Not a stupid question. First, find the your AvP Classic folder (default: Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Aliens versus Predator Classic). Then find avp_rifs; create a folder called "custom" (no quotes) inside, then add the fearfactory.rif and fearfactory(c).rif into that folder. Add the graphics folder to the main AvP Classic folder (it should sit beside avp_huds, avp_rifs, bin, fastfile, and FMVs).
Spoiler

[close]

THE CITY HUNTER

Lucifero

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed