Sigourney Weaver WTF interview

Started by T Dog, Sep 29, 2022, 01:53:03 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver WTF interview (Read 1,822 times)

T Dog

T Dog

So listening to Weaver on Marc Maron's WTF podcast from earlier this week.

She does Dan O' Bannon a bit dirty; she either isn't aware or intentionally states that Ridley "discovered" Giger, when it was O'Bannon that brought Giger's work to Scott. Then she also neglects to mention that the characters in O Bannon's/Schultz' script were written as being interchangable between male/female and says that the original script was 10 men until Giler/Hill "wrote the script".

Is this a case of nerds like me who know more than the lead actress or is it Weaver propping up "industry people"?

Kradan

Kradan

Movie's over 40 years old now, I think we can forgive people involved for misremembering certain details

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 29, 2022, 02:08:41 PMMovie's over 40 years old now, I think we can forgive people involved for misremembering certain details

ehhh... Yes, but no. I think after recent interviews on this very site that shed some light on Walter and Giler and Weaver's relationship with them... There might be something to the initial theory here.

BigDaddyJohn

Possibly a bit of bad blood between them yes.

Hollywood.

BlueMarsalis79

The opposite. Sigourney Weaver stated on AlienĀ³ no one else could write Ripley correctly except them.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I wonder if she thought Cameron didn't write her correctly after she got nominated for an Oscar (but didn't win).

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

He did say in some of the BTS stuff that he didn't see the deeper more cathartic elements of the story until Weaver pointed them at. He saw it as a more straightforward revenge story. So in that sense, probably. Jim did turn Ripley into a bit of a Rambo-esque figure.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It does have to be said that O'Bannon was not the easiest to deal with at times so it's easy 40 years later to misremember some details. Of course, very little of what Weaver claimed is true and the data is there and publicly available for everyone that gives a damn. Matter of fact...

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: T Dog on Sep 29, 2022, 01:53:03 PMSo listening to Weaver on Marc Maron's WTF podcast from earlier this week.

She does Dan O' Bannon a bit dirty; she either isn't aware or intentionally states that Ridley "discovered" Giger, when it was O'Bannon that brought Giger's work to Scott. Then she also neglects to mention that the characters in O Bannon's/Schultz' script were written as being interchangable between male/female and says that the original script was 10 men until Giler/Hill "wrote the script".

Is this a case of nerds like me who know more than the lead actress or is it Weaver propping up "industry people"?

To put all of this in perspective, you have to consider that Giler and Hill were/are very close to Sigourney. They developed a personal friendship doing the first movie. Weaver was not really in the O'Bannon camp at all, he was removed from set in August '78 and Giler stepped in until editing finished in March '79. So she spent a lot of time with Giler. They remained friends throughout the remaining decades. No doubt, she's heard their side of the story for years and years. O'Bannon she never saw again, to my knowledge.

SiL

SiL

The characters being interchangeable is a footnote in the script; on the page they're all male.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed