Cult, Bizarre & Obscure Entertaiming 😱🎨🎥👻

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Apr 12, 2020, 11:40:01 PM

Author
Cult, Bizarre & Obscure Entertaiming 😱🎨🎥👻 (Read 16,160 times)

Immortan Jonesy

German Robotech Comic (1984)

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Aug 01, 2020, 01:23:17 PM
Still enjoy this as much now  :-[

https://youtu.be/qEe0kzyFOyU

Majestic af

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 23, 2020, 01:09:20 AM
Gosh! I'd love to see Swissmade 2069 😭

https://vimeo.com/124737581

I'll see your Swissmade film and raise you one Unmade film:

https://hrgiger.com/tourist.htm

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 02, 2020, 09:11:44 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 23, 2020, 01:09:20 AM
Gosh! I'd love to see Swissmade 2069 😭

https://vimeo.com/124737581

I'll see your Swissmade film and raise you one Unmade film:

https://hrgiger.com/tourist.htm

Edit - I would appreciate if you share your thoughts about the movie.  :)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I really want to see this movie so hard  :-X

Quote from: via 366 Weird MoviesOversexed Alice receives an obscene phone call and falls in love with the mellifluous caller, who reveals his name to be "John Smith" of Manhattan. She searches the telephone book to find him, encountering stag film producers, perverts and lesbian seductresses in her quest. When she finally tracks him down, they share the ultimate obscene phone call, whose orgasmic power is depicted symbolically as a crude, sexually explicit surrealist cartoon.

THE TELEPHONE BOOK (1971)

NFSW

Pokemon Problem Inspection Report (1998) - Yup, that episode that induced photosensitive epileptic seizure in some of the viewers.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Extra cheap trailers and stuff on this compilation of B horror movies and theatre intermissions of the 50s and 60s.

I dig this trailer for The Thing cos I'm f**king biased  :laugh:

The Phantom of Regular Size (1986) - Shinya Tsukamoto's 18 minute prototype short for his later Tetsuo the Iron Man film; about a man who gradually transforms into a metal incrusted monster.

NSWF

Dracula:The Dirty Old Man (1969)

"Dracula enslaves Dr. Irving Jekyll, turning him into the lycanthropic JackalMan, demanding that he lure female blood donors to his L.A. cabin retreat."

Freddy Krueger 1-900 Phone Number Story Collection

Immortan Jonesy

Arzak Rhapsody (2003) - based on Moebious comics.

Kradan

I wanted to ask:

What "Entertaiming " is ?

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 09, 2020, 10:04:33 AM
I wanted to ask:

What "Entertaiming " is ?

Extravagant:
Novels,
Theories
Essays
Reviews
Theatrical productions
Art
Imagery
Movies
Interpretaions
Narratives
Games

I expanded the criteria beyond the title in the thread's OP. However, here are some examples:

Extravagant:
Novels

Theories

Essays

Reviews

Theatrical productions

Art

Imagery

Movies

Interpretaions

Predator (1987): The alien tries each man's masculinity

Spoiler
Predator (1987): The alien tries each man's masculinity. Each man who dies does so in a manner befitting his swagger.
It's a well-worn idea that Predator is a film about masculinity. You have seven men each competing for alpha status, showboating their strength, stoicism, roughness and physical power. I'd like to go a step further. I'd like to suggest that the trials of the film are a test of masculinity, and that each man who dies does so in a way that mocks his masculine performance.

Let's go through the kills in order.

Hawkins

Scrawny, glasses-wearing radioman Hawkins is the first to die. Appropriately enough, he is the least successful in projecting his masculinity. He fails to crack bawdy jokes about his girlfriend's vagina, finds little useful intel for the team, and kills no-one during the guerrilla camp raid.

He dies when he runs after Anna and catches the attention of the predator. Out of context, the scene almost resembles a rape - Hawkins chases Anna and wrestles her to the ground. But this dynamic is reversed when the predator runs him through, drags him on his back, strips him naked and disembowels him.

Do you remember the joke he keeps telling? It's about how big his girlfriend's "pussy" is. The predator essentially carves him a fairly large one of his own. We see him moments later, dangling upside a tree, a gaping hole in his belly.

(A ghoulish detail: Judging by the naked marines Billy discovers at the start of the film, similarly skinned and upside down, the predator doesn't just disembowel men - it castrates them.)

Blain

Blain's not the weakest of the remaining crew, but he is certainly the showiest, with his enormous minigun. Blain has the most famous line outside of Arnie's: when he's shot in the arm, Ramirez rushes to his aid - "You're bleeding, man!". Blain's having none of it: "I ain't got time to bleed".

Indeed he doesn't. When the predator fires a plasma bolt through Blain's torso, the resulting wound is bloodless:

DUTCH
...Just like the others...no
powder burns, no shrapnel.

DILLON
The wound all fused,
cauterized...what the hell
did this?
Mac

You remember Mac. He's the one who snatches Dillon from behind, threatening that if he blows the team's cover, Mac will "bleed him slow and quiet". He's probably the least mentally stable of the gang: by far the most menacingly violent, and with a propensity to talk to himself. When the Predator escapes the team's trap, Mac takes chase, babbling to himself, mentally decomposing into a violent trance.

You'd think that if anyone can out-sneak the predator, it's Mac, but the predator has him sussed fairly quickly. Sliding on his back, Mac suddenly sees a target on his wrist. It runs over his arm and head and - blam!

At first, it wasn't obvious to me how Mac might have prompted this death in particular. But I recalled two things: firstly, that Mac constantly, ritualistically shaves his head. He's doing it right from the first time we see him on the helicopter. So a headshot seems appropriate, though I'll admit the tie is a little weak.

(It may be the only one in the film, though, if you interpret Ramirez's death as neckshot.)

What's more, Mac's apparent madness makes his head his 'weapon'. He's just a little crazy, and that's supposed to make him scary, but there's no brain chemistry so unstable it can't be met with a well-placed microwave pulse. So mocks the predator.

Another matter I remembered is his threat to the predator the night before: "I'll carve my name into your skin". It's actually the predator that marks Mac, with his laser sight. The triangular target is the nearest thing we ever get to the alien's calling card, and it's traced over Mac's flesh slowly and carefully. Eventually it is visually 'imprinted' on his head by force.

A final, tenuous link: Mac promises to 'bleed' Dillon 'slowly'. Mac's own death seems to be the slowest: even when his forebrain is blasted apart, we see his body continue gasping and twitching until at least scene cut (and therefore implicitly longer). Everyone else dies fast.

Dillon

Dutch's old friend from some unnamed army unit, Dillon is keen to show he hasn't softened with promotion into the higher ranks of military brass. He greets Dutch with an arm wrestle, and he loses. This turns out to matter.

Dillon has his arm lasered off and is shortly run through by the predator's claws.

This death is the most obviously telegraphed: it's the same arm. In the former scene, the arm is brought to the ground as it desperately pushes back; in the latter, the arm falls to the ground firing its weapon impotently.

Ramirez

Slim and wiry, Ramirez isn't a major presence in the movie, so this one's a little tougher to read. If you can't remember, he's the green beret who gets hit by the log trap, sent flying and landing in a crippled heap. He limps along for a little while before being unceremoniously shot in the neck.

Ramirez's greatest swaggers happen in the guerrilla camp raid. Carrying a six-shooter grenade-launcher, his well-placed blasts fling enemies through the air over and over. I counted four shots of men being thrown towards the camera by explosions in that scene, and three of them belong to Ramirez. (The other is a grenade from Billy). The film fixates on these shots enough to conclude they're supposed to be impressive, so it's a pointed irony that Ramirez is thrown through the air in a similar manner.

Not convinced? There's a little ad-hoc addition to the original screenplay. When Blain boldly asserts he "ain't got time to bleed", Ramirez quips back: "Oh yeah? Have you got time to duck?". Ramirez is later crippled by a fast-moving log to the chest that everyone else jumps under.

Billy

Billy doesn't swagger. He acknowledges his fear, listens to his superstitious instincts and generally prefers to act rather than talk. He is granted the most noble death of all the soldiers: an off-screen fate that preserves his mystery and lets us imagine - or rather hope - he died bravely.

But he dies all the same, because he chooses not to run. And that is the difference between him and Dutch. Running is how Schwarzenegger's character survives. He runs and falls into the river, covering himself in mud. He backs into a corner, camouflaged thermally. He lets the predator chase him into a trap, which eventually proves the alien's undoing.

Of course, there's a practical reason for Dutch to retreat: the way power shifts between man and monster makes the scene engaging and tense. It modulates our fear and hope. But it's curious how feminine our hero's cries are when we hear them from the Predator's POV; they're high pitched and whimpering. Dutch doesn't hide his pain or his fear; in fact he's actually the least ostentatiously masculine of all the squadron - his masculinity comes from acting with instinct and knowing the land, not swaggering performance.

Turns out, that's the only real masculinity that actually matters.
[close]

Narratives

Games

Kradan

My PC can't handle your posts

Gr33n M4n

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 10, 2020, 06:49:07 AM
My PC can't handle your posts

Get your PC to the gym so it can get some gains, brah

Immortan Jonesy

"HR Giger's Heimkiller and High (1967) Two short experimental/documentary films showcasing one of Giger's early sculptures and paintings (before he began incorporating airbrush techniques)".

Kradan

I don't know who that Giger guy is but he's clearly insane. I mean, the man is mad, he's CRAAAAAAAAAZY

Immortan Jonesy

Sometimes there is a thin line between genius (at least in arts) and insanity. :)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I didn't know that in the Bob's Burgers pilot the characters were cannibals  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjJkKn8WI6w

Dragon's Heaven - Beautiful Moebius-inspired direct-to-home-video anime from the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vqRjVQhjBw

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed