How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"?

Started by Robotpo, Nov 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM

Author
How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"? (Read 65,624 times)

War Wager

Lol, you could have just used Ripley's quote RoaryUK!  :P

Looks like your proved wrong SiL...  ::)

Gates

Quote from: RoaryUK on Nov 23, 2007, 06:39:30 PM
(scratches head)  ermmmm I don't think so!!   No offence SiL, I'm actually a great admirer of yours on these boards because of what you write, but sometimes some of you guys leave me scratching my head.

Ugh...this is funny and I'll tell you why...both you and SiL are using educated guesses...while we can sit here and estimate the minimum time that it all took place in, we can not factor in the maximum amount of time it could have taken...the possibilities are endless...

QuoteThis is what I worked out anyway, if Alien takes place in about 48 hours from start to finish, around half of which is spent getting to and from LV 426.  The ship lands approximately 2000 meters away from the Derelict, a walking distance (given weather conditions) of no more than 5 hours.  Although it's unclear how long, I believe Dallas, Kane and Lambert probably set off for the Derelict approximatly 3 hours after the ship set down, so by the time they get back, taking into account time spent inside the Derelict of no more than a couple of hours, the Hugger has been attached to Kane approximately 6 hours (splitting the difference) making the total away time about 12.

Everything in bold is a guess, they could have set off for the Derelict 6 hours later, and could have been there for 5 hours...no way to know for sure...you're also not factoring in that if the walking distance to the Derelict is indeed 5 hours, coming back would have taken longer, much longer...don't forget, they had to carry a fully grown, fully equipped, and a fully comatose Kane...

QuoteWhen the Nostromo originally touches down the landing causes some internal damage, about an hour later Parker informs the crew this will take at least 25 hours to repair, even though Brett actually informs him only 17.  For the sake of arguement we assume Brett is right because Parker asks him, it's obvious Parker's  "at least 25 hours" comment was taking the piss.  Shortly before take-off, no less than 9 hours after it attached itself to him, the Hugger comes off Kane itself and appears to die. Ripley and Dallas discuss Ashe's seemingy unchallenged decision to keep the Hugger before she imforms him they're ready for take-off.

Maybe not less than 9 hours but could just as equally be 11 or 18 hours...

Quote18 hours after it set down the Nostromo finally takes off, reconnects with the refinary and sets off back for Earth.  According to the script, we rejoin the crew a few hours later, but again I'm guessing around 4 hours just to add a number.  Which brings us forward 22 hours after it originally landed, the Embryo now safe inside Kane, its now been at least 13 hours since he was attacked.   Shortly after, clearly in minutes, the crew are informed of a change in Kane's condition and we see he appears to have recovered.  What can only reasonably be an hour later, the crew meet for dinner in the Mess Hall before returning to hypersleep, shortly after which the Chestburster appears....14 hours thereafter!

This entire paragraph is a guess based on guesses in the second and third paragraphes...

QuoteSo I have to ask, where did you get the idea it takes the Chestburster "over" 24 hours to pop out from Kane...by all means correct me if Im wrong, but by my calculations that's simply impossible? 

No one is saying you're wrong because you may be right...but there is nothing in the movie to prove that your time-line is any more correct than someone else's... :)

Quote from: War Wager on Nov 23, 2007, 07:32:58 PM
Looks like your proved wrong SiL...  ::)

What's with the hard-on to prove SiL wrong!? :-X

RoaryUK

Quote from: War Wager on Nov 23, 2007, 07:32:58 PM
Lol, you could have just used Ripley's quote RoaryUK!  :P

Oppps!  Thanks for pointing that (Ripley's comment) out to me man, I made a mistake there.... I know SiL ain't that daft for sure! 

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Gates on Nov 23, 2007, 08:02:37 PM
Quote from: RoaryUK on Nov 23, 2007, 06:39:30 PM
(scratches head)  ermmmm I don't think so!!   No offence SiL, I'm actually a great admirer of yours on these boards because of what you write, but sometimes some of you guys leave me scratching my head.

Ugh...this is funny and I'll tell you why...both you and SiL are using educated guesses...while we can sit here and estimate the minimum time that it all took place in, we can not factor in the maximum amount of time it could have taken...the possibilities are endless...

QuoteThis is what I worked out anyway, if Alien takes place in about 48 hours from start to finish, around half of which is spent getting to and from LV 426.  The ship lands approximately 2000 meters away from the Derelict, a walking distance (given weather conditions) of no more than 5 hours.  Although it's unclear how long, I believe Dallas, Kane and Lambert probably set off for the Derelict approximatly 3 hours after the ship set down, so by the time they get back, taking into account time spent inside the Derelict of no more than a couple of hours, the Hugger has been attached to Kane approximately 6 hours (splitting the difference) making the total away time about 12.

Everything in bold is a guess, they could have set off for the Derelict 6 hours later, and could have been there for 5 hours...no way to know for sure...you're also not factoring in that if the walking distance to the Derelict is indeed 5 hours, coming back would have taken longer, much longer...don't forget, they had to carry a fully grown, fully equipped, and a fully comatose Kane...

QuoteWhen the Nostromo originally touches down the landing causes some internal damage, about an hour later Parker informs the crew this will take at least 25 hours to repair, even though Brett actually informs him only 17.  For the sake of arguement we assume Brett is right because Parker asks him, it's obvious Parker's  "at least 25 hours" comment was taking the piss.  Shortly before take-off, no less than 9 hours after it attached itself to him, the Hugger comes off Kane itself and appears to die. Ripley and Dallas discuss Ashe's seemingy unchallenged decision to keep the Hugger before she imforms him they're ready for take-off.

Maybe not less than 9 hours but could just as equally be 11 or 18 hours...

Quote18 hours after it set down the Nostromo finally takes off, reconnects with the refinary and sets off back for Earth.  According to the script, we rejoin the crew a few hours later, but again I'm guessing around 4 hours just to add a number.  Which brings us forward 22 hours after it originally landed, the Embryo now safe inside Kane, its now been at least 13 hours since he was attacked.   Shortly after, clearly in minutes, the crew are informed of a change in Kane's condition and we see he appears to have recovered.  What can only reasonably be an hour later, the crew meet for dinner in the Mess Hall before returning to hypersleep, shortly after which the Chestburster appears....14 hours thereafter!

This entire paragraph is a guess based on guesses in the second and third paragraphes...

QuoteSo I have to ask, where did you get the idea it takes the Chestburster "over" 24 hours to pop out from Kane...by all means correct me if Im wrong, but by my calculations that's simply impossible? 

No one is saying you're wrong because you may be right...but there is nothing in the movie to prove that your time-line is any more correct than someone else's... :)

I rather think of it an educated guess, mostly based on what is known either from the script or what's said in the film.  Sure it's still a guess, but would you bet against me being some 10 hours out either way?  Somehow I think not, because you know even so my point (about "over 24" hours) still holds up.

SiL

Brett says repairs will be at least 18 hours; Parker jacks up the estimate to 25.

The planet has a two hour rotation and the sun rises twenty minutes after they land; it's nighttime when they get back to the ship. The derelict is only two kilometers away, and sure bulky suits and rough terrain would make it take a while, but not that long. So it either took them a day to get in and out, or it took them just over an hour to get into the derelict, look around, and for Kane to get hugged.

Add delays in repairs for them to get Kane to the infirmary, for everyone to get out of their suits, and for the whole acid blood bit to take place. Maybe a half hour delay.

They end up taking off without full repairs, but knowing the slack nature of Parker it could easily have been closer to his 25 hour guesstimate than Brett's 18 hours - Deleted scenes show them lounging around drinking beer, with Brett getting the repairs wrong. Add a few hours for Kane to wake up and them to start eating.

Okay, maybe not over 24 hours, but a solid landing near 20. And even then, 15 hours is hardly as fast as people would like to make out and still goes against the whole 'Ah but facerape is faster thus fits better!' bullshit.

War Wager

I guess when it comes down to it, does is really matter?  :P

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

I just had another good look at ALIEN, sure sounds like Brett says 17 hours to me.  On the other stuff I stand corrected on the ship repairs, I did actually say "no more than 5 hours" to the Derelict, and who knows how long it took to get back.  As for the deleted scenes though they don't come into the equation, I'm sure you're rational enough to accept that with deleted scenes, particularly those in various Special Editions of these movies, comes the contradictory.  It may make sense, you can argue some things shouldn't be removed, but if they are then these are simply canon wether imformative, relative or otherwise.  Speaking of which SiL, you ever spent a couple of hours REALLY looking through the Anchorpoint Essays.  I'm not gonna say too much here, but would love to know your thoughts on it...I sure have my own?  lol

SiL

I love 'em. Wouldn't use them in an argument, but props to the author.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: War Wager on Nov 23, 2007, 11:33:28 PM
I guess when it comes down to it, does is really matter? :P

If a debate happens to come up about continuity and things which rely on it, yeah. :)

KARHAN

i found something that i havnt seen before in the new pic of the Hot toy wolf predator;
i dont if its the handgrip for the whip or something else??

Der_Meister

I think its the handgrip for the wip, cause the whip itself is sharp (alien tail)  and Wolf sure wouldn't risk cutting of his fingers.

KARHAN

yeah i think so too, but he has those cool reptilian hands again 8) not those chunky avp ones >:(

bobcunk

i think he has knuckle dusters on hes left hand.

Bad Replicant

Never noticed Wolf's little buckle made from Alien teeth before.

Ballzanya

Quote from: bobcunk on Nov 24, 2007, 08:24:26 PM
i think he has knuckle dusters on hes left hand.

Some kind of brass knuckles? As long as he doesn't punch any aliens in the head with them I see no problem with that, I guess.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed