Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 196,348 times)

Flaming Firefox

Quote from: Lance845 on Apr 16, 2008, 11:54:00 PM
watch the movies and read the cannon. The drones are pure instict. They do what the queen tells them. She says run at chain guns and die they do that. They hide in dark places. they grab bodies and cacoon them. Why did the drone in Alien cacoon dallas? Cause its instinct is to do so. There were no eggs for it to use. But it dosent pay attention to that. Predators have no toruble killing drones because they are just animals.

What are you talking about? Aliens have been shown in the movies to be pretty smart. I don't think they are "just animals" as you put it. By the way they didn't run at chain guns they ran at sentry turrets, which had a finite amount of ammo as well. The tactic was to run the guns out of ammo and they did, and it was a smart tactic because they still had enough drones to easily assault the control room.

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2008, 12:00:44 AM
Quote from: Lance845 on Apr 16, 2008, 11:58:22 PM
The predalien in AVP-R was a premature queen. With the queen dead it was the "oldest" drone and so it began to change into a queen.
Which we know shouldn't happen because, in the absence of a Queen, Aliens transform hosts into eggs. That's what the Alien was doing to Dallas.

Sorry, I think I shot your theory.

That's not canon.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Chocolate man! on Apr 17, 2008, 01:38:08 AM
That's not canon.
Theatrically released special edition - Why not? People endlessly use Aliens' sentry gun scene - Even this guy - in their arguments. Can't have one or the other.

SM

SM

And Aliens SE never got a theatrical run.

SiL

SiL

It got a very limited one. By which I mean some independent theaters played it in the early nineties.

SM

SM

It did?

Does that even count as a theatrical run?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The sentry gun sequence is probably the most damaging inclusion into the alien series.  Because even though humans have rushed human gun emplacements since the civil war in the attempt to "overrun" them, nobody ever thinks of it as a human tactic.  It's just a tactic ants use to overrun other bugs on a sugar cube.

It becomes instinctual and mindless over tactical.

And thus the comics, and guys like the Strause brothers, and fans that think like them take things like the sentry gun scene and use it to characterize the Alien.

Even Cameron wanted them to be smart.  Check the cutting of the power (with commentary).  Watch the Aliens try to slide fingers in and pick the lock when the marines flee into the airducts.

Yet he damaged the perception of them by adding those guns because every writer, director, fanboy impressed with Aliens uses "their just bugs," to justify their stories.

Sad since the very definition of the title character is suppossed to suggest foreigness or unfamiliarity.

I don't blame Cameron for Aliens.  I enjoy the theatrical version of the film immensely, and wouldn't mind the SE if it wasn't for the inclusion of the new scenes shatters the pacing.  But I'll always be semi annoyed that he opened the door and started the, "Aliens are dumbazz bugs lolz," movement by including those sequences.

People don't even look at the facts concerning the story anymore.  You go to imdb and the marines wasted hundreds maybe thousands of Aliens because they are mindless creatures that need to be squashed and are only dangerous when you don't have a weapon.  Despite the fact that the marines didn't have that much ammo, and even AFTER the sentry gun scene and the ops battle there are still enough left to make Ripleys motion tracker go haywire.

I don't think Cameron knew the sentry gun scene would have its own mini legacy.  Or he wouldn't have included it.  I don't think Cameron wanted the Aliens to be ants.  I think he wanted them to be the Viet Cong, or the Afgani forces that beat off the U.S. and Russia respectively.

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2008, 01:39:46 AM
Quote from: Chocolate man! on Apr 17, 2008, 01:38:08 AM
That's not canon.
Theatrically released special edition - Why not? People endlessly use Aliens' sentry gun scene - Even this guy - in their arguments. Can't have one or the other.

The Aliens special edition was an extended version, ALien Director's cut was an alternate version more then an extended cut, it chopped bits out and added things over the top.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Chocolate man! on Apr 17, 2008, 03:04:34 AM
The Aliens special edition was an extended version, ALien Director's cut was an alternate version more then an extended cut, it chopped bits out and added things over the top.
Special edition's a special edition. Can't count one but not the other.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Plus, Lance845 mentioned the Dallas coccooning in his assertions, so it's fair game.

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2008, 03:05:19 AM
Quote from: Chocolate man! on Apr 17, 2008, 03:04:34 AM
Special edition's a special edition. Can't count one but not the other.

Yes I can.  The ALien movie is actually called the director's cut while Aliens is called special edition. Also, ALiens special editon was actually released like that on DVD, while ALien Director's cut wasn't released on DVD untill the Quadrillogy (which is why AVPR unrated is canon, it was released as uncut, with only America and a few other countries getting a theatrical version on DVD.)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Chocolate man! on Apr 17, 2008, 03:38:53 AM
Yes I can.  The ALien movie is actually called the director's cut while Aliens is called special edition.
Aliens's special edition was always called the director's cut. It was famously one of the first director's cuts. They just renamed it later because every movie and its dog had a director's cut. Now every movie and its dog has an extended edition. Eventually it'll be called the Super Rainbow Power Funtime Version, and it'll still be a director's cut.

QuoteAlso, ALiens special editon was actually released like that on DVD, while ALien Director's cut wasn't released on DVD untill the Quadrillogy
The Alien director's cut was made for the Quadrilogy. Fox liked it so much they shoved it in theaters as well on a slightly restricted release to rake in some extra dough. None of the new scenes on the movie have any real conflict with the original cut of the film.

Just because Aliens' extended/director's cut was released first doesn't make Alien's director's cut any less canon.

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2008, 03:42:47 AM
Quote from: Chocolate man! on Apr 17, 2008, 03:38:53 AM
Yes I can.  The ALien movie is actually called the director's cut while Aliens is called special edition.
Aliens's special edition was always called the director's cut. It was famously one of the first director's cuts. They just renamed it later because every movie and its dog had a director's cut. Now every movie and its dog has an extended edition. Eventually it'll be called the Super Rainbow Power Funtime Version, and it'll still be a director's cut.

QuoteAlso, ALiens special editon was actually released like that on DVD, while ALien Director's cut wasn't released on DVD untill the Quadrillogy
The Alien director's cut was made for the Quadrilogy. Fox liked it so much they shoved it in theaters as well on a slightly restricted release to rake in some extra dough. None of the new scenes on the movie have any real conflict with the original cut of the film.

Just because Aliens' extended/director's cut was released first doesn't make Alien's director's cut any less canon.

I agree with that, but as you said, Alien director's cut was made especially for the quadrillogy and to make some extra cash, Aliens was released as an actuall director's cut (unlike the ALien DC, the director actually liked it better than the theatrical version) and was treated as basically a revised but still canon version of ALiens.

SiL

SiL

And yet Ridley said he always liked the scene, and only cut it for time. So in that regard, it's a genuine director's cut - He got to re add a scene he'd wanted in there.

SM

SM

The extended version of Aliens has been always been referred to as a Special Edition since 1992.  It just a term.  Cameron re-edited the film - ergo it's a
directors cut.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed