New photos from set (warning, spoilers!)

Started by Machionic, Jan 16, 2010, 05:13:34 AM

Author
New photos from set (warning, spoilers!) (Read 305,948 times)

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

Quote from: darthmaul1 on Jan 27, 2010, 07:14:58 PM
Didn't Winston design the Queen?

Nope it was Camerons design. The behind the scenes documentary actually shows some shots of his artwork for it.

Winston was there to bring the whole thing to life.

darthmaul1

Ah, gotcha, but the predator was his baby, cause the first company totally screwed it up.

SiL

Quote from: Spoon on Jan 27, 2010, 04:12:30 PM
Gigar had crazy imagination but non of his work would look good on the screen.  There is just pieces here and there that can be taken but overall I don't find his work that good.  Just very interesting.  Thats why the alien doesn't even look that similar to the one on screen, only its key features. 
The Space Jockey and derelict are exactly how he designed them.

Space_Dementia

Quote from: darthmaul1 on Jan 27, 2010, 07:49:54 PM
Ah, gotcha, but the predator was his baby, cause the first company totally screwed it up.

Yes there was a company who f**ked the first designs up, then Winstons company was brought on board, though the Pred design is partly Camerons idea too, he suggested the mandibles

darthmaul1

Quote from: muse_manic on Jan 27, 2010, 10:12:56 PM

Yes there was a company who f**ked the first designs up, then Winstons company was brought on board, though the Pred design is partly Camerons idea too, he suggested the mandibles

I saw that on the behind the scene thing too, and JCVD was the original predator, (boy that would of sucked if he was in it)

Kane

QuoteThe Space Jockey and derelict are exactly how he designed them.

Unfortunately we didn't see these behinds in the eggsilo, or did we?

jordan

Quote from: darthmaul1 on Jan 27, 2010, 10:16:44 PM
Quote from: muse_manic on Jan 27, 2010, 10:12:56 PM

I saw that on the behind the scene thing too, and JCVD was the original predator, (boy that would of sucked if he was in it)

lol, JC would've insisted on some Predator ass shots.

CANNON

Cameron is the man, i wish he was making predators instead of nimrod.

ridetofight

ohhh this is too much fun not to weigh in on.

over all other artists, giger has probably influenced my work the most. his imagination, attention to form, and execution are unlike a lot of other artists. he is a master at taking the concepts and images in his head, and putting them down "on paper" (he is also an accomplished mixed-media artist and sculptor) in a professional, finished work of art.

winston, on the other hand, manages more things than just himself and his imagination. giger has a handful of design concepts that were able to be executed exclusively by him, while winston has a portfolio. no, stan winston did not use his bare hands to create every creature that his studio turned out - however, if it were not for his knowledge of artistry and his craft, he would have never been in a position to assemble a hand-picked (by him) group of artists to execute the projects HE was able to secure. he coached a team of artists who's designs were not only great, but all functional, for whatever a story-writer asked for.

in terms of output, as an artist, in my opinion, stan winston CRUSHES giger. giger made the alien. stan made it functional - which is what you need to actually create a reality. NOW I KNOW giger sculpted the original suit, but i think its arguable just how functional it was - and thats all it was - a suit - not a character, not a creature - other people had to help bring that to life. artistry aside - aliens introduced you to a creature that you could actually see pursuing the protagonists - up walls, across ceilings, jumping, tail-whipping... wereas alien had a creature the protagonists had to come to - he hung, hid, crouched... was generally a big unexciting pussy of a creature. especially early on it was STAN WINSTON'S team (not just a team) that created, sculpted, engineered, and acted as the characters they brought to life. giger had the imagination, winston had the know-how. how does that saying go? something like imagine in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills first?

giger has this mystique about him because he creates dark, surrealistic art totally of his own. he's not part of any genre - his work is very distinctive. a lot of people like to see his work and personality as a weird gateway into an evil, weird place. well, thats gay. he's just an accomplished artist. he's not a dark wizard.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: ridetofight on Jan 28, 2010, 05:00:56 PM
artistry aside - aliens introduced you to a creature that you could actually see pursuing the protagonists - up walls, across ceilings, jumping, tail-whipping... wereas alien had a creature the protagonists had to come to - he hung, hid, crouched... was generally a big unexciting pussy of a creature.
Surely you're not dumb enough to not realise that has nothing to do with the people making the creature, and everything to do with the script and director, therefor has zero relevance on the subject, right? That's like saying ADI did the best Aliens in AvPR because they did nothing.

Besides - The first Alien did have personality (And did persue its prey - air vent sequence). You could see its brain ticking over, it was a thinking organism with alien thought-processes.

The Aliens in Aliens were zombies, totally devoid of any individuality, rocking up en masse when the script called for to get shot down and rack up the tension. No single Alien outside the Queen is worth paying attention to because, despite Winston's habit of creating characters, Cameron's direction removes any character from them.

Which is totally gay, as you would say.

darthmaul1

Quote from: SiL on Jan 28, 2010, 09:16:32 PM
artistry aside - aliens introduced you to a creature that you could actually see pursuing the protagonists - up walls, across ceilings, jumping, tail-whipping... wereas alien had a creature the protagonists had to come to - he hung, hid, crouched... was generally a big unexciting pussy of a creature.
Surely you're not dumb enough to not realise that has nothing to do with the people making the creature, and everything to do with the script and director, therefor has zero relevance on the subject, right? That's like saying ADI did the best Aliens in AvPR because they did nothing.

Besides - The first Alien did have personality (And did persue its prey - air vent sequence). You could see its brain ticking over, it was a thinking organism with alien thought-processes.

The Aliens in Aliens were zombies, totally devoid of any individuality, rocking up en masse when the script called for to get shot down and rack up the tension. No single Alien outside the Queen is worth paying attention to because, despite Winston's habit of creating characters, Cameron's direction removes any character from them.

How were the aliens in aliens zombies??? they were intelligent thinking creatures (they cut the power) and (the were climbing above the ceiling and underneath the floor) they weren't just running through the door.

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jan 28, 2010, 09:16:32 PM

Why would you want them to have their own personalities?

SiL

I'd want each of them to be an individual. They aren't.

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jan 29, 2010, 12:29:21 AM
I'd want each of them to be an individual. They aren't.

Give me an example on how you would have done it.

SiL

At what point did I say I could've done it better?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed