New photos from set (warning, spoilers!)

Started by Machionic, Jan 16, 2010, 05:13:34 AM

Author
New photos from set (warning, spoilers!) (Read 305,934 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

Ok knock that shit off. nobody copied nobody, Giger designed and constructed the alien and Winston and his crew made them look real for a dfferent, not-the-f**king-same movie.

EarthHive

EarthHive

Quote from: SiL on Jan 26, 2010, 06:37:26 AM
Quote from: EarthHive on Jan 26, 2010, 05:11:38 AM
I am not disrepecting Giger...the man can draw.  However, Winston, IMO...can draw and create the creature.  I mean the dude made the Predator from his drawings (and a little inspiration from Cameron), he made the Terminator (he just didn't draw it), he made the Alien...once again...he just didn't draw it.  He created these creatures.  Of course it was a team effort...but he was the mastermind.  He made these pictures move.
But he didn't.

His crew sculpted it, his crew created the animatronics, his crew painted them. He even jokes about it in the Predator 2 special features, that he gets all the credit while everyone else does all of the work.

Giger did almost everything to do with the adult Alien himself, with the exception of the head mechanics - Carlo Rambaldi - and making the physical moulds. He designed it, he sculpted it, he painted it. Same deal with the Space Jockey.

Like I said it was a team effort...however Winston just didn't sit around and do nothing....he was the mastermind.  Just like Cameron for Avatar...he was the mastermind...but he wasn't the guy sitting at the computer working on wire-framed skeletons.

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: EarthHive on Jan 27, 2010, 01:57:25 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 26, 2010, 06:37:26 AM
Quote from: EarthHive on Jan 26, 2010, 05:11:38 AM
I am not disrepecting Giger...the man can draw.  However, Winston, IMO...can draw and create the creature.  I mean the dude made the Predator from his drawings (and a little inspiration from Cameron), he made the Terminator (he just didn't draw it), he made the Alien...once again...he just didn't draw it.  He created these creatures.  Of course it was a team effort...but he was the mastermind.  He made these pictures move.
But he didn't.

His crew sculpted it, his crew created the animatronics, his crew painted them. He even jokes about it in the Predator 2 special features, that he gets all the credit while everyone else does all of the work.

Giger did almost everything to do with the adult Alien himself, with the exception of the head mechanics - Carlo Rambaldi - and making the physical moulds. He designed it, he sculpted it, he painted it. Same deal with the Space Jockey.

Like I said it was a team effort...however Winston just didn't sit around and do nothing....he was the mastermind. Just like Cameron for Avatar...he was the mastermind...but he wasn't the guy sitting at the computer working on wire-framed skeletons.

Um...well, actually...

EarthHive

EarthHive

But that is kind of my point, Hicks.  Cameron just like Winston....came up with the "technology" showed some people how to do it...and then became a consultant on future projects....but they were the masterminds.

SiL

Quote from: EarthHive on Jan 27, 2010, 02:50:00 AM
But that is kind of my point, Hicks.  Cameron just like Winston....came up with the "technology" showed some people how to do it...and then became a consultant on future projects....but they were the masterminds.
Winston didn't come up with the tech, though. Again - His crew dude.

People were arguing who was better, Winston vs. Giger, and bringing up that Winston had a wider variety of work and made his things like and breathe.

My point was, when it came to the Alien franchise ... he didn't. Yet Giger did. Giger was the guy sculpting, and painting, and touching up, and designing, etc. etc. Winston oversaw his crew.

ShadowPred

Winston made Dinos come to life god dammit!

SiL

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 27, 2010, 05:18:13 AM
Stan Winston Studios made Dinos come to life god dammit!
They sure did!

Purebreedalien

Who's got the popcorn?

keylight-di

Me...
Help yourself!  ;D

wolfie138

wolfie138

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jan 27, 2010, 12:09:15 AM
Quote from: wolfie138 on Jan 26, 2010, 07:28:20 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jan 25, 2010, 07:35:04 PM

That's a hilarious (and ridiculous) statement, as Giger's "one idea" is the only reason Winston had something to sculpt.

Winston didn't design the Alien, Giger did.  Winston just copied him.  ::)

But, I'm sure you're just some little kid somewhere who doesn't understand the contribution Giger made to this whole franchise.  So, I'll let your stupidity slide.

you're talking "Aliens", where Winston didn't "copy" him, he was paid to recreate something for a film. are you too stupid to understand that concept? Where did i say Windton created that alien? i kinda didn't, did i?

you let stupidity slide if you want. i'll let your ignorance, made-up accusations and petty troll attempts slide. i am fully aware of Giger's contribution to the alien franchise, i just don't give a sht because it's just a skeleton w/ a penis for a head the same way most of his designs incorporate sexual organs.

zzzzzzzzzz

oh dear, another well-reasoned response. you can always tell when someone has no intelligence : if they can't make up something they resort to a lame comeback w/ a silly picture.
no more replies from me on this matter.

Sabres21768

Quote from: wolfie138 on Jan 27, 2010, 07:59:24 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jan 27, 2010, 12:09:15 AM
Quote from: wolfie138 on Jan 26, 2010, 07:28:20 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Jan 25, 2010, 07:35:04 PM

That's a hilarious (and ridiculous) statement, as Giger's "one idea" is the only reason Winston had something to sculpt.

Winston didn't design the Alien, Giger did.  Winston just copied him.  ::)

But, I'm sure you're just some little kid somewhere who doesn't understand the contribution Giger made to this whole franchise.  So, I'll let your stupidity slide.

you're talking "Aliens", where Winston didn't "copy" him, he was paid to recreate something for a film. are you too stupid to understand that concept? Where did i say Windton created that alien? i kinda didn't, did i?

you let stupidity slide if you want. i'll let your ignorance, made-up accusations and petty troll attempts slide. i am fully aware of Giger's contribution to the alien franchise, i just don't give a sht because it's just a skeleton w/ a penis for a head the same way most of his designs incorporate sexual organs.

zzzzzzzzzz

oh dear, another well-reasoned response. you can always tell when someone has no intelligence : if they can't make up something they resort to a lame comeback w/ a silly picture.
no more replies from me on this matter.

HOORAY!

Mission accomplished.  ;D

Spoon

The alien in aliens was actually made just like how it looks in the first film.  It was James Cameron that decided to take off the clear dome because it was to easy to break and he thought they look better with them off (totally agree with him)
  Stan Winston came up with the predator design it was James Camerons idea to have them have mandibles.

They are both geniuses and I love both their work. 

Gigar had crazy imagination but non of his work would look good on the screen.  There is just pieces here and there that can be taken but overall I don't find his work that good.  Just very interesting.  Thats why the alien doesn't even look that similar to the one on screen, only its key features. 
Come on he wanted the chest bursters to be damn chickens! LOL

Space_Dementia

James Cameron more or less designed the creatures for the seconed movie...not Winston, it was his job to bring them to life.

The Queen was Camerons baby, and the Idea of taking the dome off the Alien was his idea also...

Gigers designs are still there more or less...just tinkered with a little

wolfie138

wolfie138

there were slight changes to the elbows and hands too.

darthmaul1

Didn't Winston design the Queen?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed