How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"?

Started by Robotpo, Nov 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM

Author
How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"? (Read 65,110 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xhan on Nov 26, 2007, 09:55:21 AM
Except you can look at what the room looks like, and make deductions, based on how high Lambert is and what angle her leg is at (at least) and you realize she's not lain on top of something, she's crammed into something, in addition to being bereft at least one pants leg. She's doornail dead.

I wouldn't know what she might have been crammed into, if so, but I don't think it's impossible to be unconscious with shock/fear/whatever, be horrendously injured and still be crammed into something.

The Immortal Moo

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 02:03:14 AM
How about I charge you 13 bucks and then I'll answer any question you have.  ;)

ok iam game.

Bishop2

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 01:32:11 AM
Quote from: Gates on Nov 21, 2007, 01:31:12 AM
Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 01:17:35 AM
The extend DVD films are still cannon in my mind.

This guy is funny... ::)

If it's the director's vision for the film, then it's cannon.

The problem with this statement is that the Alien Director's Cut and the Alien 3 Special Edition AND the Alien Resurrection Special Edition are NOT the director's visions.  Scott and Jeunet have both said that they prefer the theatrical cuts, Scott even said that "Director's Cut" label was just some marketing tool they came up with.  And Fincher wasn't involved in compiling the Alien 3 SE, ultimately.

So really, by your logic, ONLY the Aliens SE should be cannon.  No others.

SM

SM

One N, in the name of all that is holy...

Uncanny Antman

^And an "ical" at the end, just to be really anal.

Alienseseses

Quote from: Bishop2 on Mar 07, 2008, 05:04:42 AM

The problem with this statement is that the Alien Director's Cut and the Alien 3 Special Edition AND the Alien Resurrection Special Edition are NOT the director's visions.  Scott and Jeunet have both said that they prefer the theatrical cuts, Scott even said that "Director's Cut" label was just some marketing tool they came up with.  And Fincher wasn't involved in compiling the Alien 3 SE, ultimately.

Canon is in the eye of the beholder. If something works better for you, it is right.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Alienseseses on Mar 09, 2008, 12:28:35 AM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Mar 07, 2008, 05:04:42 AM

Canon is in the eye of the beholder. If something works better for you, it is right.

So now we selectively define what's canon and what isn't? If that were true, comic books in any one series would be independent of the previous month's issue.

Alienseseses

Comics are not intended to be canon. But a person can decide whether Alien Res happened, whether the directors cuts are the final cuts, whether AVP ever happened.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Alienseseses on Mar 09, 2008, 02:04:08 AM
Comics are not intended to be canon. But a person can decide whether Alien Res happened, whether the directors cuts are the final cuts, whether AVP ever happened.

Um, yes they are. Perhaps not in the realm of AvP I would agree, but in Marvel and DC they are. If we start picking and choosing what is canon and what isn't then we start messing up continuity which doesn't work for anyone.

Alienseseses

I was talking about the Dark Horse stuff.

DoomRulz

Fine. I was just using a general example, guess we misunderstood one another.

SM

SM

QuoteComics are not intended to be canon.

Dunno where you got that idea.  DH comics WERE intended to be canon.  If they weren't they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of redoing them post-Alien3 to bring them in line with the films.  However there's still myriad inconsistencies between them and the four films.

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Mar 09, 2008, 04:08:01 AM
QuoteComics are not intended to be canon.

Dunno where you got that idea.  DH comics WERE intended to be canon.  If they weren't they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of redoing them post-Alien3 to bring them in line with the films.  However there's still myriad inconsistencies between them and the four films.

Want a really good example of that? The first AvP in DHP #36, alien eggs crash land in a ship on a foreign planet and the fahuggers mate with animals, yet the Aliens emerge as they would from a human, WITH ridged heads.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed