Cameron on Alien Covenant

Started by 0321recon, Aug 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Author
Cameron on Alien Covenant (Read 60,234 times)

0321recon

0321recon

Cameron did a Facebook live for the upcoming T2 3D Cinema re-release and spoke about Covenant.

He starts speaking about the film around 11:10 mark.

He found that Covenant was a great ride.

He mentions about Ridley's use of cinematography, and his appreciation for Ridley tactile style of filmmaking,

However, he wasn't keen on killing off a certain character out of the bat since we had invested on them for an entire movie to be destroyed at the end. In that context, It's not the film he would had made.

He's up for the next ride.

Here's the link for the T2 facebook page were he did the live session.

https://www.facebook.com/terminator2/?hc_ref=ARQ8ELvWsBJIXM1prHSXJCeIMaJ9pelyvGDsw-KhNr8kMaWhjL-AicMNiTmUPU_kqsk

Alionic

Alionic

That comment about killing off a character was not so subtle. He is still sour over the demise of Hicks and Newt in Alien 3.  :laugh:

SM

SM

Now watch the proliferation of 'Cameron slams Covenant' stories while excising anything positive he had to say.

Hide

Hide

The movie is full of bad decisions,
weak storytelling, lazy direction and has as many laugh out loud scenes as Alien Resurrection.
Does it have interesting ideas? Yes it has but they are badly executed. So, I think Cameron is just trying to be nice.

0321recon

0321recon

Cameron liked the film, though I agree with him. If he had the reigns for Covenant, he would made sure that Shaw was still alive and do his best to carry that story forward. Though, were here now. Covenant is mostly good for what it is, lets see what happens from here.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Cameron is no stranger to negative flack when it comes to making a major change to a character in a sequel, considering the well known criticism by many fans for reducing the very mysterious Alien creature down to swarm of insects. But in all fairness to JC, insect characteristics were already associated to the alien creature before Alien 79 was even released, according to Shusett and O'Bannon

irn

irn

Please make the sequel, James. I'll fund your next submarine expedition if you do. And offer you any of my wives.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: irn on Aug 11, 2017, 12:51:14 AM
Please make the sequel, James. I'll fund your next submarine expedition if you do. And offer you any of my wives.

hahahhaha  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In the FB live talked about needing time to rest from doing Avatar, and frankly I wouldn't mind him directing the final film while Scott stays as producer. Plus, he could help Scott with the story which most fans are clamoring for.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 10, 2017, 10:25:11 PM
That comment about killing off a character was not so subtle. He is still sour over the demise of Hicks and Newt in Alien 3.  :laugh:

Maybe he's sour over Sarah Connor's handling in Terminator 3.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

He was trying to be as diplomatic as possible, you can tell he didn't think that highly of it.

"I thought it was a great ride"

::)

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: SM on Aug 10, 2017, 10:28:49 PM
Now watch the proliferation of 'Cameron slams Covenant' stories while excising anything positive he had to say.
I think it might have the opposite effect. People might be more receptive if the great creator of Aliens, Titanic and Avatar liked it. Group think.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: tleilaxu on Aug 11, 2017, 03:02:47 AM
I think it might have the opposite effect. People might be more receptive if the great creator of Aliens, Titanic and Avatar liked it. Group think.

Would like to be as hopeful as you're though, he mentioned something similar with Terminator Genysis and that didn't go well at all. However, let's see what happens from here.

SM

SM

Quote from: tleilaxu on Aug 11, 2017, 03:02:47 AM

That's not what happened last time he commented on Alien and Ridley Scott.  He had some reservations but made a point of saying of stressing that he'd be first in line for any Ridley Scott movie.  I saw at least one article that omitted that, and then it got repeated at places like Scified and taken as gospel...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2017, 06:05:32 AMI saw at least one article that omitted that, and then it got repeated at places like Scified and taken as gospel...

That's only supposed to happen to your timeline and starmap.

Highland

Highland

Who cares really, can say what he likes and it won't matter. It wouldn't bother me either way if he said it was the worst film he ever saw or the best.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed