“Take It” – The Story of Raphael Adolini’s Flintlock Pistol

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 20, 2020, 10:10:33 AM

Author
“Take It” – The Story of Raphael Adolini’s Flintlock Pistol (Read 4,176 times)

Corporal Hicks

As he lay in a pool of his own blood, his life slowly fading away, the pirate captain Raphael Adolini held out his flintlock pistol to the towering Predator who had not long ago been his enemy. With his dying breath, Adolini told the creature to "take it," never knowing that he was giving the Predator who would become known as Greyback the very words that would be repeated to Detective Mike Harrigan at the end of Predator 2.

The sequence aboard the Predator ship at the end of Predator 2 is easily one of the most memorable in the series. But it was also monumental. It was a chance for Jim and John Thomas to actually get to see a scene that was removed from the original Predator. The trophy case implied hunts on many different alien worlds. And for the first time audiences saw multiple Predators sharing the frame together. It was a brief glimpse at Predator culture.

But it was also a window into a much larger piece of Predator history. When Greyback threw Harrigan that flintlock pistol, Harrigan took it as a promise that we'd be seeing the Predators again. However, it was also a statement that the Predators had been around for a long time – or 300 years at least.

Click here to continue reading!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on all things Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Predator fans on our forums!

The Cruentus

I have often thought that this story would make a good prequel movie, I know they did the comic but to have a predator film where humans don't even have the technology to fight back as effectively as modern day soldiers, makes for more tension.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jun 20, 2020, 02:01:59 PM
I have often thought that this story would make a good prequel movie, I know they did the comic but to have a predator film where humans don't even have the technology to fight back as effectively as modern day soldiers, makes for more tension.

This right here.

KiramidHead

I wonder if the Thomas Bros. ever actually wrote that prequel.

Voodoo Magic

I wish!!!!  But I believe only the framework was discussed.

Great article Hicks!  I can't wait to check out the video! :)

j0nesy

great stuff hicks! i know this would never happen with hunting grounds, but a pirate scenario/map would be awesome to see

Xenomrph

Adolini's pistol is one of the coolest little details in 'Predator 2', I thought it was super-fun that the comics explored it in a little more detail.

I'd love to see Predator "prequels" set in various historical periods, I think there's a lot of fun ways of exploring how and why Predators choose when and where they show up, and how people of different time periods (and tech levels) deal with it.

Voodoo Magic

Instead we got the Loonies.

TheSailingRabbit

I'm actually surprised Voodoo didn't write this article. :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jun 21, 2020, 10:42:10 PM
I'm actually surprised Voodoo didn't write this article. :laugh:

I know, right?  Maybe I finally swayed Hicks to love Predator 2!  Move over Predators, it's time for something meatier!   ;D ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've always loved Predator 2... I love all of the first three!

Master

I love the first two, I like Ps and AvP... and then there is the other two  :-\

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 22, 2020, 08:21:35 AM
I've always loved Predator 2... I love all of the first three!

We know! Just one of our many mildly funny, overplayed jokes at work!  :)

Corporal Hicks

Fair enough.  :laugh: I honestly can't remember you digging at me about that before.  :D

Voodoo Magic

Those old school posts are too narrow to search,  but I think the genesis was you preferring Predators to Predator 2, followed up by me or Wabbit teeing it up, the other hitting it, ending with you saying you don't hate Predator 2. This might be a case of your higher intellectual mind just protecting you from the lunacy of others!   :D.

Back on topic, I've been always tempted to pick up one of these Denix pistols and custom make the plate.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed