Aliens: Colonial Marines TV Commercial

Started by ikarop, Jan 14, 2013, 07:17:13 PM

Author
Aliens: Colonial Marines TV Commercial (Read 49,937 times)

SM

SM

It's simply laughable that they drone on and on about how "authentic" they're being, when they're demonstrably not (and that's not even talking about different Alien types - if you don't expect them in a game, no matter how silly they seem, you're just naive).

Predaker

It's like a sequel in the sense that it will be a spiritual successor to Aliens but in video game form. They are translating something that was experienced in a movie into a video game basically. A video game could never realistically fit the most strict sense of the word canon under heavy scrutiny due to this translation so they took some creative liberties to make what they thought would be the best aliens experience. I will give them the benefit of doubt and try the game out.

SM

SM

It doesn't even need heavy scrutiny.  Faint scrutiny is enough.

QuoteThey are translating something that was experienced in a movie into a video game basically.

This is the best you can hope for.  If they pull that off - job done.  Everything else is fairly irrelevant.

Xenomrph

QuoteBecause the people behind this are the ones who are making such a big deal out of needing to explain the magical Sulaco eggs - which is all well and fine. But to do so and then immediately introduce just-as-perplexing things which also wouldn't make terribly much sense, makes an instant mockery of that very mindset.
But that's not any different any anything any of the other movies have done, so I'm still not seeing the problem.

QuoteThe moment you make a boast like that, you actively invite criticism over your claim to be 100% canonical, because you, as the person in all those interviews you're pumping out, are the one who's making such a big deal over it.
The thing is, I suspect those boasts aren't necessarily aimed at the hardcore superfans who nitpick everything to death. It's meant at the more casual people in order to get them interested, and it's precisely because it's not a movie. It's a videogame. Making the claim that it's a faithful "official sequel" to a beloved classic movie that millions of people have seen is a pretty good way to get otherwise uninterested people to perk up and pay attention and possibly buy the game, especially if the footage and screenshots we've seen make it look like it's going to deliver on that promise.

QuoteRemember all the debates before the last of the AVP games got released to us, about how/how 'Number Six' was meant to be more intelligent than the others? Where the facehuggers were meant to come from, every time it held a victim down for one? Turns out, the game never bothered to give explanations for any of those things. They were purely for aesthetic reasons and that was, literally, as deep as the thought process went.
You're saying that like it's a bad thing, and as if the movies themselves don't have instances like that. The motion trackers in 'Alien' and 'Aliens' literally cannot work as they're presented, but it doesn't matter because they're plot devices meant to get an emotional reaction out of the audience. Putting the ammo counter on the right side of the pulse rifle where Ripley can't see it (but the audience can) doesn't make any sense, but it sure hammers home how many rounds Ripley is firing and when she's low on ammo.
Likewise the mystery facehuggers out of thin air are meant to get a reaction out of the player - you're literally facilitating a dude getting facehugged, in graphic and up-close detail. It's pretty crazy, and at the end of it it doesn't actually matter where the facehugger came from. If you're fixating on the "logistics" of the facehugger, you've missed the point.

QuoteI just have severe reservations about the claims that everyone will accept it as the 'true' sequel - which, in itself, is mildly offensive, to be honest. I'm no great fan of 'Alien 3', but remarks like that unnecessarily devalue the hard work which went into making it.
I guess it depends on what people want to get out of the experience. Ever since 'Aliens' audiences have been clamoring for 'Aliens 2: Now With More Marines And Aliens And Stuff', and a lot of people were very, very disappointed with what 'Alien3' delivered. Colonial Marines looks like it is literally going to deliver on what a lot of people have been asking for for the better part of 30 years, and instead of being a movie with constraints like "budget" and "actor safety" and "practicality" and "2 hour run-time", it's going to be an interactive (multiplayer, even!) videogame that can be as long or as short as the developers want it to be.

And this is coming from someone who loves 'Alien3' and considers it their favorite Alien movie. Colonial Marines looks like it's going to be a hoot, but I don't think it's going to undermine 'Alien3' for me at all.

Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2013, 03:08:40 AM
It's simply laughable that they drone on and on about how "authentic" they're being, when they're demonstrably not
Except that it sure does look pretty authentic, but to each their own I guess.

Pete Script

My apologies for interrupting the validity conversation which I think could either make or break the game.

I have scoured the Internet with no avail looking for any demo release information. At the moment I can't find anything to say if they are going to do one at all for this game. My hope is as they did one for duke nukem there is still a possibility.

If anyone knows anything about this I would be very keen to find out.

Byohzrd

not to drastically change the subject but am i looking at a facehugger with somesort of tailblade?

Griffith

I noticed that too also..

WY vessel?

SM

SM

Possibly.  It looks to be a modified Conestoga like the Patna was.

ShadowPred

Quote from: Byohzrd on Jan 16, 2013, 01:42:58 PM
not to drastically change the subject but am i looking at a facehugger with somesort of tailblade?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj241/Rabbit2100/tumblr_mgp4u2QpUq1ruu36bo6_r2_500-19dragged_zpsaa72afa6.jpg

Oh, for the love of...!

Local Trouble

Sharp-tailed facehugger looks at least 62.7% more extreme.

ShadowPred

Accidentally kills the marine...and then has to hurry to get another host. I can see the comedic value of this happening over and over again in one scene.

Local Trouble

How far is it from the camera?  Maybe it's the giant Shelob facehugger I wanted.

Salt The Fries

Does this gun have ammo counter?

DemonicD13

Concept Art?

Cal427eb

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jan 17, 2013, 05:45:04 AM
Does this gun have ammo counter?
Which gun?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed