AvP2 - Least Anticipated 2007 Movie

Started by Darkness, Mar 18, 2007, 06:55:10 PM

Author
AvP2 - Least Anticipated 2007 Movie (Read 16,695 times)

RIJOENPIAL

Leprechaun, even though I have low expectations about this movie, I will see it regardless... first, because it is a visual FX movie, which is only best seen in a theatre, and second, because i am dumb...    :D   Only a dumb person like me would see a sequel to a no-brainer movie, even though i liked its lack of ambition...Hey, i think that is why they call us 'fans'...    ;D   But seriously now, the problem raised by this news is that it will be a boxoffice letdown because if nobody wants to see it, the nobody will...Just us, fans, will not be enough...That is why the PG-13 was there in the first place... to attract all fringes of people...now, an R-rating  will reduce even more the attendance...I don't know about you, but teenagers pre-17 will find a hard time seeing it on theaters, and the mainstream audience (grown-ups, boys and girls) will give it a pass... And the fiasco of the first will just amplify things...I wished the scenario was a better one, but we can all blame Fox for the status quo...

Jonesy

Jonesy

The type of people that vote in an internet poll at msnbc arent the type of people that are into horror/scifi movies or movies with lots of action and gore. Itd be like polling this site to see how much were looking forward to the Nancy Drew movie. Its not a good sample of population.  I dont think AvP2 is highly anticipated anyhow though. My guess is it might make it to 50 million. If it isnt good, and gets panned the way AvP did, this will be the last one, unless they do something straight to video.

Pvt. Hicks

I think we know it would be the last one dumbass, we don't need a f**king naysayer to bring it down. You have to realize, I'm f**king 15 and been a fan since the tender age of 4, and know all the movies forwards and backwards. I'm not going to let some guy who isn't a fan of the series ruin my expectations or make fun of my franchise or bring it down in any way.

Don Dorris

Are we supposed to be impressed by that? There are more people out there who have been a fan for more than just 11 years...

RakaiThwei

Well the Strause Brothers did say that they would be telling information out more in the middle of 2007... It's now the middle of the year, or close to and we haven't so much as heard more new information, pictures, etc...   I am looking forward to AvP2 with all my heart... and I believe it will be a great flick... but I will say this..   Fans need to see new information, pictures, hell a trailer... from the Strause brothers.. It's high time to settle things...

Pvt. Hicks

Yes you are, it's not about quantity, but quality. And the quality of my believe in the series is strong, high, and freakin' mighty buddy. Oh and to the above poster, the film isn't coming out until the END of the year. Dude dude dude, it's practically a year until it comes out...use your noggin, and have patience.

RakaiThwei

Pvt.Hicks:   I didn't say the film would be coming out in the middle of 2007, I said more <I>information, pictures, concept art, and maybe a trailer</I> -- not the actual film. I am patient, and I could wait til December for AvP2 to come out but I'm just saying at least give they should give a taste of what is to come-- sure, we got ONE picture, why not concept art or more photo stills?

Pvt. Hicks

What if they are planning something BIG? Would you want it to be ruined then? Fans could finally get what they want. And I know you knew it didn't come out mid year, I never said that.

topman

topman

so much bitching is going on here!! calm down! well im expecting something better then avp1, hopefully they will deliver it but im not to sure if im honest

Ermac

Ermac

QuoteFans could finally get what they want.
I never wanted it to be set in a small, mountain town with a cast straight out of The O.C and a couple of directors who have no experience.  Maybe you're te kind of person who's so desperate for this movie to be good that you'll ignore all the signs saying this will be awful.

RIJOENPIAL

I think all the reservations have a right to be... given the small investment by Fox in terms of capital, casting and script, i think fans like me need to be prepared for the worst...AICN's review got out just a couple of months before principal photography began, we already know what the Aliens and Predator will look like; we already know bits and pieces that help build a preliminary image...The latest news are not good for Fox at all...the high pressure, the low resources, the hype among fans (some of them already falling apart...) so early in the game makes me wonder if it is a good idea to build this hype so early...By the time the movie premieres, a lot of us will be disappointed, not because the movie is that bad, but because of the too high expectations that built too soon...The marketing 'bits and pieces here and there' routine doesn't help...

RIJOENPIAL

...Also, AVP2's low expectations among mainstream audiences just shows one of  three things or all: 1) they are not interested  2) AVP disappointed them, driving them away 3) they prefer movies with more depth than this... This type of movie is a tough one to sell...It isn't Alien, it isn't Predator, just a Freddy vs. Jason spectacle...I am a fan of Alien and Predator movies, and i knew from the start that AVP was just a ' standalone movie' to cash in on the two franchises and take a temperature reading to see if the franchises were still alive and kicking...And from the looks of it, AVP was not the final nail to Alien coffin, Alien Resurrection was...

RIJOENPIAL

Also, there are two type of fans, IMO... the ones that read between the lines, that don't need that much information to see through the cracks, and fans that no matter what still have faith, despite all the info available... I am in my late twenties, and I watch all types of movies, but these are the ones that appeal to my inner child most: I remember seeing the three Aliens when I was 15 (I was a late bloomer) and despite the fact that I got bored to death watching Alien, the second one and especially ALien3 made me fall in love with the series...Aliens was all action and Alien 3 was a more mature, deeper and amazingly filmed movie... The Alien saga is untouchable in our minds and hearts, and all AVP 2 can be is an entertaining movie where we can see the latest developments in CGI, animatronics, puppeteering and costumes design...and that's all...The story always takes a back seat in a movie like this, you all know that...in an action flick, the 'action' word gives it away...in a 'monster' movie like AVP, the 'monster' one...

RIJOENPIAL

I never go to see a movie like this expecting it to be with top-notch dialogues, story and cast performances..I expect to see a visual movie, with enough action and an art direction that catches the eye... I discovered we enjoy this type of movies more the moment we see them for what they truly are: just a 90 minute-entertainment flick...The Alien and Predator series have nothing to do with AVP, they just share the same monsters...PWA said that AVP was not approached as an Alien or Predator movie, but just as a 'standalone movie' simulating what would happen if those two ever came face to face...Of course, I disagree with him on this, because Predator 2, with that Alien skull joke, inadvertedly joined the two franchises on the same timeline, being the Predator one the past and present and the Alien one the future...AVP connected these two enriching this 'Universe' (all who read Marvel and/or DC know what I am talking about...) far beyond the isolated franchises...And that was awesome!

RIJOENPIAL

Pitching these two monsters together is just supposed to provide a fun time to viewers, and the backlash that AVP had demonstrates that Alien and Predator fans are too impatient to watch a movie that doesn't meet their overwhelmingly high expectations, especially amplified by the disappointment called 'Alien Resurrection' and going even further back, Alien3... I am in a confortable position to say that I liked Alien3, it ended Ripley's saga beautifully, and AlienRes is just a movie to amuse ourselves, kinda like AVP, because Ripley is no more, and a clone is not the same thing...They just experimented with Alien morphology, that's all...just an experiment to cash in, of course, because the saga ended really with Ripley...Don the line, I believe they may come back to the Alien franchise, without Sigourney, because there is still a lot of territory to explore...I was hping for a last final movie with her and Lance Henricksen, but we can't get all we want, now can we...? Nevertheless, an Alien 5 or Predator 3 is quite possible, even unavoidable, because AVP is not a good thermometer for the franchises...AVP's impact will not be the same the Alien ones had, and that has to be addressed while making it...meaning that our expectations are more demanding than when we saw Alien, or Aliens or Predator...that is why they built the mythos, they gave us something we never saw before...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed