Marvel Announces Predator vs. Wolverine Crossover Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 08, 2023, 02:56:44 PM

Author
Marvel Announces Predator vs. Wolverine Crossover Series! (Read 30,099 times)

jacobo1122

I'm suprised, first issue was pretty ok. I was expecting the worst after Creative team for this was revealed, but it was fun. I guess that you don't need excellent writer to make a simple crossover fight. And that's what it is, it feels like old, good crossover from DK times, but instead of DC Heroes we get one from Marvel. Still some skill is needed to write such a clash with both fighters being well represented and so far it was achieved, so very well, I'm praising Benjamin Percy a little, he did a good job for once. And Greg Land's art is ok I guess, so Long as nobody find some plagiarism in it. If that's the level of whole story, I'd be plaesed.

Corporal Hicks


bulletproof2k

Hi guys, I'm a new user.  :)
It's not a bad start to an unusual crossover.

Chieftain Suom

Chieftain Suom

#138
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 29, 2023, 08:51:03 AMhttps://twitter.com/Engineer_LV426/status/1718359810444530156

At least he is only assigned to draw sections of the series that include young Wolverine.

The sections related to Weapon X drawn by Hayden Sherman are my favorite in the series so far. That variant cover for the second pressing of issue 2 that reuses Sherman's last frame of the issue, with the Predator standing over Wolverine at the Weapon X facility, is so dope.

Thatguy2068

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 29, 2023, 08:51:03 AMhttps://twitter.com/Engineer_LV426/status/1718359810444530156
At least he's not plagiarizing anyone Art, it's just looks photo shopped. Why do they keep hiring this guy, is it because it's cheap?

Mr.Turok

I liked the second issue. Quality still keeps up and leaves wanting for more. Ending got me intrigued on how the Pred went to great lengths to find Wolverine again. Gotta say on spoilers:

Spoiler
Wished Sabertooth's fight was a bit longer but guess issue limits is what the writers had to work with. That being said, he taken down a Pred with him as he should so least there is that.

Gotta say that the durability of Marvel's Predators is powerful, as our main Predator was able to survive a temple room's full of explosives going off, taking a huge chunk of the structure along with it.

Leaves me with the ending with how our main Pred (doesn't even have a nick name yet?) breaking into Weapons X like it was nothing and looking over Wolverine's post adamantium experiment.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

The trade will release 04/10/24.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

#142
Quote from: Mr.Turok on Nov 14, 2023, 05:45:05 AMI liked the second issue. Quality still keeps up and leaves wanting for more. Ending got me intrigued on how the Pred went to great lengths to find Wolverine again. Gotta say on spoilers:

Spoiler
Wished Sabertooth's fight was a bit longer but guess issue limits is what the writers had to work with. That being said, he taken down a Pred with him as he should so least there is that.

Gotta say that the durability of Marvel's Predators is powerful, as our main Predator was able to survive a temple room's full of explosives going off, taking a huge chunk of the structure along with it.

Leaves me with the ending with how our main Pred (doesn't even have a nick name yet?) breaking into Weapons X like it was nothing and looking over Wolverine's post adamantium experiment.
[close]
Yeah I really liked the second issue, it's kept my interest and has not disrespected the Predators yet so I'm happy so far. Just read issue 3 and that was awesome! Some cool predator 2 designs make it into the issue. Love it!

Mr.Turok

Issue #3 is another fine comic, and if the quality keeps on being steady, I can see this being a good one among the likes of Batman vs Predator. The IPs don't step on each others toes or dethrone one in favor of the other. I recognize why the art on each issue is different now, as Wolverine almost leans on the 4th Wall on this that his memory is fuzzy and tries to remember things to the best of his ability, and the different artstyles reflect on said theme of recovering memories.

Now to go on to the spoilers:

Spoiler
So I love how the comic tries to weave into the actual lore of Wolverine in that the reason why there was so many bodies and the facility looking decimated when Wolverine first woken up to find the Weapon X facility all busted down is because how the Predator broke into it to find Wolverine.

There wasn't a fight between Wolverine and the Predator this time around as he kidnapped Wolverine to try extracting both his skull and the metal alloy sheathing his skeleton, which of a kind the Predator never seen before. Rather it became a fight between the US/Canadian Weapon X military that is trying to recover Wolverine back for their projects. Berserker Wolverine only broke out of the ship.

Which ties into Berserker Wolverine's iconic Weapons X helmet is in fact re-engineered Predator tech because of the mask left behind when the Predator took an unconscious Wolverine to his ship. Once again, I love how these small details are big impact attempts to weave the Predator events into actual canon of Wolverine's lore.

Good issue, lets see the fight of Wolverine and Muramasa vs Predator go down!
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Really enjoyed the third issue. I don't know Wolverine lore well enough to appreciate it on the level that Mr.Turok is, but certain elements are obvious enough with things like the helmet that I understand it and enjoy it. The artwork is continuing to be great - really strong now we've dropped Lorocca after that first part of the history.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Nov 30, 2023, 06:21:01 AMI recognize why the art on each issue is different now, as Wolverine almost leans on the 4th Wall on this that his memory is fuzzy and tries to remember things to the best of his ability, and the different artstyles reflect on said theme of recovering memories.

I really like that read on the differing styles! That's really an insightful take on it!

I'm enjoying the narrative as well. The new Predator's behaviour is really interesting and still feels very Predator. I loved the whole aspect of him
Spoiler
kidnapping Wolverine like that. I loved the acid too. That was brutal and quite smart. Can Wolverine really recover that well? The artwork depicted it has having burnt away all biologicals aspects of his skull.
[close]

And when he turned up with that replacement mask...my draw...on the floor. Loving seeing that concept used.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

#145
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 30, 2023, 12:43:40 PMReally enjoyed the third issue. I don't know Wolverine lore well enough to appreciate it on the level that Mr.Turok is, but certain elements are obvious enough with things like the helmet that I understand it and enjoy it. The artwork is continuing to be great - really strong now we've dropped Lorocca after that first part of the history.
I genuinely didn't expect the writing to go forth and weave Predator events into Wolverine's life in a manner that wouldn't disturb his core events like that. Fighting Weapons X Wolverine sure but have it actually influence them such as the
Spoiler
Weapons X helmet derive from Predator tech
[close]
was such a blindside but very welcome integration of Predator into Marvel's universe. I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of this story.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 30, 2023, 12:43:40 PMI'm enjoying the narrative as well. The new Predator's behaviour is really interesting and still feels very Predator. I loved the whole aspect of him
Spoiler
kidnapping Wolverine like that. I loved the acid too. That was brutal and quite smart. Can Wolverine really recover that well? The artwork depicted it has having burnt away all biologicals aspects of his skull.
[close]

So from what I recall, Wolverine's regeneration can bring him back as long as his bones are intact due to the bone marrow that allows his regen to kick in. Bone marrow has our DNA after all, so it makes sense that the cells there would be the base to allow him to jump back into the game. Since he has adamantium protecting his bones from complete destruction, he can come back from basically anything long as the adamantium bones remains.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 30, 2023, 12:43:40 PMAnd when he turned up with that replacement mask...my draw...on the floor. Loving seeing that concept used.
I love how Prey influenced this design concept. Predators are beings of both tribalistic and futuristic themes, which haven't been displayed much design wise post-P2 and pre-Prey films. While I like Fugitive's armor design in The Predator, the tribal aspect was nearly gone from that point so seeing this brought back to balance in recent media is a welcoming sight to see.

I especially love the fact that it implies the mask
Spoiler
is from the bear he killed in the 19th Century with his first knuckle scraping against Wolverine.
[close]

RakaiThwei

Personally, I felt like issue #3 was... a bit of a let down.

Spoiler
I really wanted to see the Predator and Wolverine in a slobber knocker, where the Predator pins Wolverine down and then uses the acid on Wolverine to keep him down in only momentarily. But... we didn't get that. Instead, this Predator just more or less... tries to kidnap Logan when he was in a vulnerable state.

I particularly didn't like that. It's just something I really don't see Predators doing, as it's something... really cheap.

And uh... the idea that this Predator, doesn't really seem to rely on skill and more tech... I'm just not feeling that too. If anything, it just shows that Marvel's Predators aren't ones to pick up skills to make them better Hunters, like Dark Horse's Predators did.
[close]

Also... there's an Easter egg in this Predator's trophy wall. Apparently, they've hunted in the Star Wars Galaxy too.

Spoiler
There's a Rancor skull in there.
[close]

Mr.Turok

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 01, 2023, 03:28:50 AMPersonally, I felt like issue #3 was... a bit of a let down.

Spoiler
I really wanted to see the Predator and Wolverine in a slobber knocker, where the Predator pins Wolverine down and then uses the acid on Wolverine to keep him down in only momentarily. But... we didn't get that. Instead, this Predator just more or less... tries to kidnap Logan when he was in a vulnerable state.

I particularly didn't like that. It's just something I really don't see Predators doing, as it's something... really cheap.

And uh... the idea that this Predator, doesn't really seem to rely on skill and more tech... I'm just not feeling that too. If anything, it just shows that Marvel's Predators aren't ones to pick up skills to make them better Hunters, like Dark Horse's Predators did.
[close]
I never got that feeling of Marvel's Predators being that. Feels like Wolverine is just assuming due to the Predator's obvious high tech gear and fuzzy memory of his previous fights with the Predator.

Spoiler
My guess with what you mentioned, is that the moment he saw what Wolverine has, it became a slightly higher priority to retrieve such a rare thing. He's been through it against Wolverine before so what he did seems like just a tactic he would have used anyway in a fight so in his eyes, he caught him lacking so he took his shot to get at his opps.

My primary thought tho is that Wolverine would have ended it there and then, being what he was at that point. No way the comic would have progressed if this fight actually was allowed in that point of time. I don't think he would have stood for so long to get his acid spray out.
[close]

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 01, 2023, 03:28:50 AMAlso... there's an Easter egg in this Predator's trophy wall. Apparently, they've hunted in the Star Wars Galaxy too.

Spoiler
There's a Rancor skull in there.
[close]

How I wish for a crossover. If this is the case, this Predator would be the most traveled and seasoned Predator we ever seen if he hunted in both Marvel and Star Wars universes. Even if he perishes on this story, an inbetween mini-run of him messing about in Star Wars would be a joy to see.

happypred

Not too many pred stories with the main antagonist pred surviving...but maybe

Mr.Turok

Quote from: happypred on Dec 11, 2023, 11:55:10 AMNot too many pred stories with the main antagonist pred surviving...but maybe

Would be cool if he survives. He got enough character that can be built around having his own mini-series of some kind. Not many Predator characters out there that had a hunting resume including "Facing down Wolverine" over the span of decades.

It's also that I have no idea how would this outcome be possible seeing that the Predator really wants to kill him, and even Wolverine wants to finally settle the score.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed
Contact: General Queries | Submit News