Mercy or Prudence? How many people did you kill?

Started by predxeno, Nov 12, 2014, 08:33:45 PM

How many people did you kill on your 1st playthrough?

0 (Angel)
8 (25%)
1-5
7 (21.9%)
6-9
4 (12.5%)
1 (3.1%)
10< (Stone-Cold Killer)
12 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author
Mercy or Prudence? How many people did you kill? (Read 7,395 times)

Vertigo

*Looks at the ground and shuffles feet* Easy....

Crazy Rich

That's okay.

My first playthrough was on normal, but I was having trouble in parts too. The way I see it the first playthrough is one big learning experience, the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the game through trial and error considering the fact I've never played a horror type of game before.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 03, 2015, 12:55:51 AM
Quote from: Nazrel on Jan 02, 2015, 08:02:41 PM
I did a playthrough without killing anyone and didnt get the achievement. i dont know why i didnt but it as quite frustrating

From what I've read some people think the stun baton doesn't kill but it actually does. Did you use stun baton on humans?

I used it on 2 people in a row...well , good bye achievement .  :laugh:

Crazy Rich

From getting the achievement my first playthrough on normal I killed humans exclusively with the revolver/shotgun (while trying to reserve the shotgun for androids at the same time) while on hard and only when necessary. Knowing the game now using a stun baton on a human is a waste as its purpose is to give you a fighting chance against androids, so I use the stun baton exclusively for androids. That is until the androids start showing up in those orange hazard suits and the stun baton is rendered useless. This is when I just hide and avoid them up until I find the Bolt gun which I use exclusively on androids when necessary.

razeak

I killed 2. I was aiming for the canon way, but that will just have to be in my imagination lol.

The first kill was a mistake. I used the "Stun" baton and didn't realize until some time later that it counted as a kill(saw it on a forum post). I had already saved at this point. I made every effort to avoid any more, but one of the guards had me pretty frustrated so tough cookie.

gabgrave

Reading all the comments, there are two thoughts I had regarding the killing and game difficulty.

1: Normally, an adult civilian won't automatically go around shooting people and killing them from the get go right after they get a gun. Ripley was shocked when Axel shot and killed the guy she knocked on the head. The situation might have been extreme, but if killing was meant to be a natural part of the game, there would have been a event where you HAVE to kill humans in order to get through. Personally I think the pistol is useless, and the shotgun too loud. Give me a cattle prod anytime, anywhere.

2: Game difficulty. Yes it was recommended that the game be played on Hard mode to have the experience of the Alien stalking you around, but that's not really what you see in the Alien movie that it's supposed to be based off... In the first movie, the alien only kills when someone steps into its current kill zone, or when the team starts trying to hunt it down. It moves very slowly and silently, only showing itself when it's about to make a kill. A:I on normal mode is about par with the level of appearances by the Alien, where it only stalks you semi-passively, instead of aggressively. The active hunting mode is more like the aliens from Aliens, Alien3 and A:R.

Engineer

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 03, 2015, 12:27:48 AM
Quote from: Nightlord on Nov 12, 2014, 09:04:32 PM
That first encounter drove me nuts though and so many times I wanted to murder all of them pricks.

Jesus, I'm on that at the moment and ragequit twice, glad it's not just me. Does the game get any easier?

That part took me a few attempts too! I'd say "yes" and "no" about whether the game gets easier. "Yes" because after this point you start to learn the game mechanics better; what you can and can't get away with. And "no" because the situations you will find yourself in become much more intense and a lot less forgiving!

I haven't beaten the game yet, I'm on mission 16 so far. Hard difficulty, and haven't killed a person (directly) yet! Not even with the stun baton! The flash bang followed by a quick sprint-and-hide has been my best friend around humans... At least it has been when attracting the alien or a joe wasn't an option.  Lol

newbeing

Quote from: Engineer on Jan 06, 2015, 01:52:55 AM
That first encounter drove me nuts though and so many times I wanted to murder all of them pricks.

Jesus, I'm on that at the moment and ragequit twice, glad it's not just me. Does the game get any easier?

That part took me a few attempts too! I'd say "yes" and "no" about whether the game gets easier. "Yes" because after this point you start to learn the game mechanics better; what you can and can't get away with. And "no" because the situations you will find yourself in become much more intense and a lot less forgiving!

I haven't beaten the game yet, I'm on mission 16 so far. Hard difficulty, and haven't killed a person (directly) yet! Not even with the stun baton! The flash bang followed by a quick sprint-and-hide has been my best friend around humans... At least it has been when attracting the alien or a joe wasn't an option.  Lol

I've found using the wrench to create noise then sneaking around the people as they investigate is the easiest and most supply effective way of avoiding looters. The human ai isn't very smart and will just b-line it to any noise or distraction you make.

I too was really annoyed with the first looter encounter, but now i know how to get buy it just using one bang of the wrench.

Engineer

Quote from: newbeing on Jan 06, 2015, 03:26:21 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Jan 06, 2015, 01:52:55 AM

I've found using the wrench to create noise then sneaking around the people as they investigate is the easiest and most supply effective way of avoiding looters. The human ai isn't very smart and will just b-line it to any noise or distraction you make.

I too was really annoyed with the first looter encounter, but now i know how to get buy it just using one bang of the wrench.
I've tried that a couple times... But it always ended with the alien swiftly dropping from a vent and sprinting directly to my position. Lol

predxeno

You can also use flares to distract enemies, you get those early on.  I'd say the game does become easier later cause even by level 15 or so you still get new weapons.

Engineer

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 06, 2015, 04:35:04 PM
You can also use flares to distract enemies, you get those early on.  I'd say the game does become easier later cause even by level 15 or so you still get new weapons.
Oddly enough, I've only used the flares for light in dark areas before I had the flashlight. I always for get I have them. Flares are not in short supply around the station either! Or maybe it just seems that way to me because I never use them. Lol

predxeno

I never use them either, the flashlight is MUCH easier to handle as a light source so I often use the flares as secondary noisemakers/distractions.

Vrastal

nope only stunned the androids.  i set the alien and androids loose on people but that shouldnt have prevented the achieve

Vertigo

My typical flare use is to fumble around with the buttons, accidentally drop it right where I'm standing, then run screaming to the nearest locker. I'm apparently more Ian Malcolm than Alan Grant.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 06, 2015, 11:48:06 PMI'm apparently more Ian Malcolm than Alan Grant.

You aren't full Malcolm until you get headbutted through a toilet by the Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed