Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 14, 2020, 08:31:32 PM

Author
Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix (Read 81,836 times)

Ingwar

According to Ridley:

Spoiler
RIDLEY SCOTT I'll show you. I'm working on [a film about Napoleon Bonaparte]. It's starting with a snowball fight in Corsica. I want Napoleon as a young boy to put a stone inside a snowball because he's losing the fight to the other boys in his military school. He fights dirty. So I draw that out. It fits the location I've already found in Malta, a fantastic Napoleonic courtyard. But it all starts with a great script [by David Scarpa]. The script is inspiring. I read it, and I started drawing, which means I'm filming already.
[close]

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/ridley-scott-raised-by-wolves-1234965758/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It's gonna be artificial snow again if he's filming in Malta.  :laugh:

I wonder if the courtyard he is referring to could be the Palace of the Grand Master's courtyard?

Looks suitably "Napoleonic":

Gazz

This is just me bullshitting but is Luke Scott working on something Alien related? From the interview he's very guarded about what the project is he's currently working on:

QuoteRIDLEY SCOTT Luke has a talent for writing. ... I work so fast, I'm better off directing and trying to get some great footage. Luke has a talent for writing, and I know he's stepping up to the plate right now, doing something right now.

What are you working on right now, Luke?

LUKE SCOTT (Quick pause.) I'm not going to tell you! (Laughs.)

The only hint Ridley lets loose is:

Ridley, anything you want to ask Luke about?

RIDLEY SCOTT Well, he won't tell you what he's [working on next] ... but he's about to find out what it's really like to design something that's going to be really scary.

Just a stray thought.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Gazz on Jun 15, 2021, 12:47:42 AM
This is just me bullshitting but is Luke Scott working on something Alien related? From the interview he's very guarded about what the project is he's currently working on:

QuoteRIDLEY SCOTT Luke has a talent for writing. ... I work so fast, I'm better off directing and trying to get some great footage. Luke has a talent for writing, and I know he's stepping up to the plate right now, doing something right now.

What are you working on right now, Luke?

LUKE SCOTT (Quick pause.) I'm not going to tell you! (Laughs.)

The only hint Ridley lets loose is:

Ridley, anything you want to ask Luke about?

RIDLEY SCOTT Well, he won't tell you what he's [working on next] ... but he's about to find out what it's really like to design something that's going to be really scary.

Just a stray thought.

Posted about that in the Hawley Alien series thread; my gut tells me that, now that Ridley's 100% on board on that show as a producer, Luke may very well be directing some episodes of the Alien show like he did Raised by Wolves.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

[EXCLUSIVE] first look at Kitbag (2022)

Dir: Ridley Scott
DoP: Dariusz Wolski

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

HBO has also recently announced a new Napoleon series based on Stanley Kubrick's notes. Kinda funny because when Ridley was doing All the Money in the World, Danny Boyle also started filming a new Getty kidnap drama series called "Trust".

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1446162654146351105

Apparently filming on Kitbag will start on 22 January next near.

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

So battle scenes will be shot in Blighty. In middle of winter. Nice.

They should hire the Scottish battle re-enactors from The Last Duel again.

They're quite hardy and got lots of experience and lots of hair:  ;D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Scott talks Kitbag in this interview with Deadline:

Quote from: DeadlineDEADLINE: You will next shoot Kitbag, with your Gladiator star Joaquin Phoenix, and Jodie Comer, who played the wronged woman in The Last Duel and will portray Josephine, whom Napoleon was obsessed with. Why them?

SCOTT: Well, I think you got to land on a talent. When I chose Joaquin for Gladiator, everybody wondered why. I chose him because of a body of work that was so special and so personal. I also found that he was a very fragile kind of guy at that particular point, and I wanted to capture the fragility which would give me that scene with the father, Richard Harris, saying I'm not going to give you the big job, dude. Sorry about it. He is elegant enough to contain his rage and say, what older, wiser man can do this instead of me? So, it's almost Shakespearean, and I think, you know, Joaquin can do anything. So, when he then does something like Joker, there are moments in the Joker that I've never seen before. There are reactions in the Joker which are silly. You can't just say they're not evil. They're coming from a damaged soul. And that's what I'm looking for, What will Joaquin's version of Napoleon be? He will be the painter of his own portrait, and I'll be there to monitor it as best I can because that's what I do. I make sure I cast great. If I cast great, half my work, there's that part, for me is done on the day, and after that I'm tagging along as their partner. Meanwhile, I've got a few other things to think about as well, right?

And oh, Jodie Comer. I became the biggest fan of Jodie because I kept watching Killing Eve, which I think was always fantastic. The interplay between her and her nemesis, Sandra Oh, was so comedic and marvelous. I just watched every show after that. Then I watch her evolve into this kind of Russian vernacular. She's genius. I think she can do anything. So, I want to be in her painting class.

DEADLINE: Stanley Kubrick is one you hold in such high esteem that you credited his 2001: A Space Odyssey for inspiring George Lucas' Star Wars, which led you to drop the film you were going to make, and find Alien. He had an epic Napoleon film he wanted to make it right after 2001 when he was at the peak of his powers. He couldn't do it. How are you able to?

SCOTT: It was birth to death, the entire story of Napoleon Bonaparte. I think what Stanley would've done is made the whole f**king thing, birth to death, and then he'd reorganize the whole f**king thing once it was all on cinema.

DEADLINE: He did recut several of his films after they were released.

SCOTT: I also think the script was too straightforward. There was no dimension in the story. Mine, I developed it. I had this idea of saying what I want to do next is Napoleon, and I usually choose what I want to do next anyway. Sometimes something falls in front of me, and The Last Duel was that. Matt Damon called me and said we got this thing we want to do. Are you interested? You've done the duel already with The Duellists, but this is a different. He told me about it, and I was in. and I got a screenplay in about six weeks. Sorry, what was your question?

DEADLINE: I was asking what you learned from Kubrick's approach to Napoleon, and it seems like you've broken off a piece of the story instead of taking the whole bite like Kubrick did.

SCOTT: No, you can't. You'll bore the ass off of everyone. Have you ever watched Waterloo? Holy f**k. That's just doing one battle. I'm sorry, Sergei Bondarchuk. You've got to be very careful in battle films that you understand what's going on. Otherwise they very quickly wear out and get boring. I don't care how majestic it is. I don't care how many uniforms you got. It gets boring. Napoleon had about 61 battles. Bondarchuk tried to do it with one. You can't tell Napoleon in one either, because we're meeting him at the end of his life as a leader, and he would go on another six years after Waterloo when he was in prison on Saint Helena. I feel you can't do Napoleon in one battle. So, I narrowed it down to this.

DEADLINE: Your take on Napoleon?

SCOTT: I narrowed it down to what was so needful of Napoleon to this woman, and what became so needful for this woman to Napoleon Bonaparte. Why this connection? You can't say sex because sex wears out, right? That would be way too simple. By the time he set eyes on her, she was already a courtesan, which means she was definitely a high-end lady in the courts where she was on the lookout for the next guy who had enough money that could cope with her.

But also, she was vulnerable, which was key. She was mid-30s, and she knows beauty doesn't last forever, and she knows she had to find something in her life to give her some kind of sense of permanence. Napoleon is very interesting because we think he might've been, and I don't want to use the word because it sounds too simplistic, but slightly dysfunctional, very lacking in social graces, and it's certainly a bit like one who doesn't think things absolutely through, but just goes for it. Actually, he sounds like me. I just f**king go for it. I don't give a f**k what happens, but he just goes for it, that works. That Napoleon is a very interesting character we're building. In fact, I'm seeing Joaquin in an hour. We're talking about how we dare waltz with an accent, and you can't do that. You've got to find the rhythm. Like, in Gucci you find the Italian rhythm.

Ingwar

QuoteNext up for Scott is his epic Napoleon drama Kitbag, which he revealed to the BBC is to start filming on January 15.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/ridley-scott-hits-back-at-gucci-family-criticism-reveals-napoleon-biopic-kitbag-filming-date-1234878689/

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Will the helmets be showing up in this too?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Thankfully, by the time of the Napoleonic Wars, helmets were no longer de rigueur.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed