Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 130,712 times)

XenoZipper

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 07, 2016, 07:00:00 PM
Imagine...

"What's the matter? Weyland-Yutani got you pushin' too many pencils?"  ;D

HAHA! Nice one, though the sad reality of that is that I can see that being said in an upcoming issue. I'm just waiting for the Commander chick to do a "Look into my eye" before that happens :P

happypred

Spoiler
This Hive Wars may have nothing to do with NECA's backstory. He frontally charges a smartgunner without the benefit of cloaking...which is not a great example of tactical mastery. I'm not sure whether his own blood shorts out the cloak or he decides to uncloak
[close]

I was really hoping for good, solid action in #2. Pretty much all of the action is in the preview, nothing new. Disappointing

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 08, 2016, 03:21:05 AM
Wasn't Hive Wars supposed to be a Veteran according to his NECA backstory? Cause if he was a Veteran..

Spoiler
That's why I'm having a hard time in swallowing that he gets punked by a Marine who is in a bloodlust, which.. is the last thing a Marine wants to do and be in a combat situation.
[close]

Quote from: happypred on Apr 08, 2016, 04:48:24 AM
Spoiler
This Hive Wars may have nothing to do with NECA's backstory. He frontally charges a smartgunner without the benefit of cloaking...which is not a great example of tactical mastery. I'm not sure whether his own blood shorts out the cloak or he decides to uncloak
[close]

This isn't Hive Wars Predator. This is a new Predator whom the artist based the design around the figure. Nothing more.

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 07, 2016, 04:19:59 PM
I also read issue #1 & #2 yesterday. It's so so at the moment. Issue #2 was a little more fan service on the USCM than I would have liked. Too many little one liners & having characters be too much like those in Aliens (definitely referring to the 2 Smartgunners acting pretty much like Drake & Vasquez even calling each other Badass doing the hand slap. It kinda made me facepalm a little bit but I'm interested to see where the story goes. I hope this doesn't become an all the time thing with Dark Horse just making stories that get spread out between Pred, Aliens, Prometheus & AvP. Once in a while is ok I guess but I want individual stories from each not interlocking stories all the time.

I'm going to have to have a re-read because I don't recall it being obtrusive or overly done. I definitely recognized some of the same confidence and attitude but it wasn't reusing dialogue from the films.

We need to remember we're only 2 parts into a 17 part story here and we've got lots of setup to get out of the way.

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 08, 2016, 07:22:12 AM
I'm going to have to have a re-read because I don't recall it being obtrusive or overly done. I definitely recognized some of the same confidence and attitude but it wasn't reusing dialogue from the films.

We need to remember we're only 2 parts into a 17 part story here and we've got lots of setup to get out of the way.

You could be right & it might not have been as much as I'm making it out to be. I think I'm just being a bitter ass about some of the attitudes being similar & me thinking they're just rehashing things. My defenses are up pretty high lately after Force Awakens came out. I was never so excited to see a movie I didn't end up liking much at all so my guard is up a little more these days especially when it comes to my beloved Aliens & Pred. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super weary about Alien:Covenant & The Predator.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 08, 2016, 09:35:35 AM

You could be right & it might not have been as much as I'm making it out to be. I think I'm just being a bitter ass about some of the attitudes being similar & me thinking they're just rehashing things. My defenses are up pretty high lately after Force Awakens came out. I was never so excited to see a movie I didn't end up liking much at all so my guard is up a little more these days especially when it comes to my beloved Aliens & Pred. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super weary about Alien:Covenant & The Predator.

No, I think you're spot on.  The author made some minor tweaks to the one-liners, but you can clearly tell what he's getting at, and then he sprinkled them like pepper all over the comic.  I'm all fan-serviced out at the moment.  It's too much.  It's like the author is telling me, "hey, I know that you know", but now we're saying, "I know that you know, that I know" and it becomes pandering.

Now mind you, just about every single line in Aliens is classic, with one-liner potential, and is thoroughly quotable.  The issue is not in whether to use those those quotes or not, but rather it is in execution.  So far it feels to me like a cheap ploy to make the book feel like the movie.  Instead, such Aliens "one-liners should match the story and be added appropriately for dramatic effect, where really make sense and are necessary.  Otherwise, they fall flat.

Anyway, 15 issues to go, so I will give this a chance of course.  But I think we need to ramp up the art and tone down the fromage factor a bit..

XenoZipper

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 08, 2016, 03:36:10 PM
No, I think you're spot on.  The author made some minor tweaks to the one-liners, but you can clearly tell what he's getting at, and then he sprinkled them like pepper all over the comic.  I'm all fan-serviced out at the moment.  It's too much.  It's like the author is telling me, "hey, I know that you know", but now we're saying, "I know that you know, that I know" and it becomes pandering.

Now mind you, just about every single line in Aliens is classic, with one-liner potential, and is thoroughly quotable.  The issue is not in whether to use those those quotes or not, but rather it is in execution.  So far it feels to me like a cheap ploy to make the book feel like the movie.  Instead, such Aliens "one-liners should match the story and be added appropriately for dramatic effect, where really make sense and are necessary.  Otherwise, they fall flat.

Anyway, 15 issues to go, so I will give this a chance of course.  But I think we need to ramp up the art and tone down the fromage factor a bit..

That I can agree with I just couldn't formulate the right words to sound smarter about it haha I'm certainly in no way NOT going to get the rest of the issues as they come out so I do hope it does go somewhere interesting. I didn't mind Fire & Stone though it got pretty damn messy near the end & I didn't care for the ending at all but I still keep going. I recently finished reading the 6 issues of Aliens/Vampirella. It was pretty bad & pretty much went nowhere by the time it was done but whatever, I still read for just in case it turns good. But yes I do agree, tone down the fan service a bit more & just do the story. I normally wait until entire runs are complete before reading because I hate waiting for the next issue but I wanted to be up to speed on this one.

happypred

The art is serviceable...nothing more, nothing less

I much preferred the art of Predator F&S and Civilised Beasts

Ultramorph

I got my copy in the mail yesterday. I haven't totally read it, but I did thumb through, and I think Abnett may have tipped his hand a slight bit about what may be to come...
Spoiler
One of the new survivors says his name is Melville, which I take as a Moby Dick reference, so I think it's looking good that Ahab will be showing up at some point in Life and Death.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Ha. Nice catch! I certainly hope that to be the case!

426Buddy

I hope we see Ahab as well, such an awesome predator character. I finished issue two and like others kinda found it a lil meh. I didn't mind the marine banter though, only one line really made me roll my eyes and that's the badass and hand clap with the two smart gunners. It was okay over all and its still a lot of set-up at this point but its a lil bothersome that the preview shows most of the action for the issue. I dig the art a lot for the human characters but I'm finding the Predator art to be less than great. I think this artist could do some great alien and marine work but just not digging the preds that much. I like their overall designs but the style doesn't seem to fit. Not sure if any of that made sense.

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 08, 2016, 03:21:05 AM
Wasn't Hive Wars supposed to be a Veteran according to his NECA backstory? Cause if he was a Veteran..

Spoiler
That's why I'm having a hard time in swallowing that he gets punked by a Marine who is in a bloodlust, which.. is the last thing a Marine wants to do and be in a combat situation.
[close]

Quote from: happypred on Apr 08, 2016, 04:48:24 AM
Spoiler
[close]

This isn't Hive Wars Predator. This is a new Predator whom the artist based the design around the figure. Nothing more.

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 07, 2016, 04:19:59 PM
I also read issue #1 & #2 yesterday. It's so so at the moment. Issue #2 was a little more fan service on the USCM than I would have liked. Too many little one liners & having characters be too much like those in Aliens (definitely referring to the 2 Smartgunners acting pretty much like Drake & Vasquez even calling each other Badass doing the hand slap. It kinda made me facepalm a little bit but I'm interested to see where the story goes. I hope this doesn't become an all the time thing with Dark Horse just making stories that get spread out between Pred, Aliens, Prometheus & AvP. Once in a while is ok I guess but I want individual stories from each not interlocking stories all the time.

17 parts? Isn't Predator: Life and Death a 4-part miniseries?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 13, 2016, 08:11:12 PM17 parts? Isn't Predator: Life and Death a 4-part miniseries?

Four 4-issue series and a one-shot finale, like Fire and Stone.

happypred

Quote from: 420Buddy on Apr 13, 2016, 02:16:06 PM
I hope we see Ahab as well, such an awesome predator character. I finished issue two and like others kinda found it a lil meh.

The action should've started in earnest by #2

There's really no point to dragging out the scenario with Marine banter and uninteresting set up...

Expected a lot more from Abnett

Ultramorph

I finally got around to reading the second issue fully, and I liked it pretty well. I get the impression that the story will ramp up from here. Did anyone else notice
Spoiler
how different Singer's heat signature was when the Predator was looking at the group? Looks confirmed that he's a synthetic, if that hadn't already been established.

I was excited to see the five other Predators that show up. Hopefully we start to get some characterization on them.

Also, it should be cool to see how much Seegson knows about the Engineers. Hopefully that story angle doesn't get lost as this event unfolds.
[close]

happypred

There are only 2 issues left . . . I would not expect much characterisation of the Predators

Some intelligent, well thought out action is all I'm hoping for - I am not expecting Abnett to be doing anything non-derivative with Predator L&D. Looks like he's sticking with a very tried and true sort of execution

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed