William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 154,072 times)

razeak

razeak

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 17, 2019, 04:52:25 PM
Hicks was using a 150 year old shotgun  :)

Right, but what was standard issue? Hardware lasts for decades. Its just a minor thing to me overall, but when it comes to the Uzi, it's a very distinct design so it really stood out. I would probably feel the same if I saw colonial marines rocking M16s as basic kit. I think there was a non-modified rifle in the weapon rack in a few shots in Aliens, and of course, the VP-70, which still looks functionally futuristic kind of like a Ruger P-89.

Then again, the Uzi is a pretty damned proven design, Just like the 1911 and AK-47.

"update"

I take it all back lol. The M16 is in the weapon rack haha. Never noticed it in motion.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Aliens#.22GAU-113.2FB.22

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I think it was the novelisation of Aliens that clarified Hicks' shotgun was a family heirloom handed down through the generations on his father's side - it wasn't an officially issued piece of kit, just something he brought along himself. Kinda like soldiers taking their own sidearms along in World War 2.

As for the VP70, that's an obscure enough piece of kit it's at least somewhat plausible to pass it off as a future gun (especially given it's futuristic-looking design). The Uzi is iconic and very much grounded in the last few decades, making it harder to flub in the same manner.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 17, 2019, 08:31:04 PM
I think it was the novelisation of Aliens that clarified Hicks' shotgun was a family heirloom handed down through the generations on his father's side - it wasn't an officially issued piece of kit, just something he brought along himself. Kinda like soldiers taking their own sidearms along in World War 2.

I want to see that story.

Kane's other son

It's laziness. Gibson writes in the script that the UPP personnel is using "UZI-like guns" and the artist just draws the UZI he was referencing.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed. Oh well...

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That's usually when the film's art department takes over and comes up with something more imaginative.  Like turning a Thompson submachine gun into the USCM M-41A pulse rifle.

It's especially disappointing when they could literally draw anything and still fail to come up with something new.  A comic book artist isn't limited by a film budget.

The Old One

The Old One

But they are limited by the time they were given.
Seems, very very evident in this WG adaptation.

Either that, or they gave him plenty of time and
instead they hired the wrong artist for this comic.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd have expected something more like this with an LED ammo counter:

426Buddy

426Buddy

I didnt even notice the uzi until someone said something.

Also as, Razeak pointed out, there were m-16s on the sulaco. Maybe advanced plasma weaponry is a bad idea to give grunts who are flying around in space.

I dunno, im not very knowledgable when it comes to guns.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

There were a lot of other guns on Sulaco...

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 25, 2016, 10:45:54 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 23, 2016, 04:51:42 AMThe CMTM makes up a couple guns (the PIG, SADAR, off the top of my head), and I can kind of understand why it didn't bother detailing some of the other guns you see in the Sulaco since they're almost entirely unmodified real-world guns.  The Sulaco did have some modified Lewis Guns apparently, and enough of them are hidden in their storage cage that the CMTM could have fudged the details and turned them into super-cool sci-fi LMGs.

I think I would have preferred the CMTM to simply acknowledge the limitations of the smart gun and mention that the Lewis Guns were the preferred LMGs for stand-up fights.

426Buddy

426Buddy

So? There are most likely lots of other guns on the upp station.

Point is, if the sulaco is carrying atleast some modern day weapons why is it a problem if someone grabbed an uzzi in this story? Seems a bit nitpicky imo

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Of course it's nitpicky, but that's what we do here.

Perfect-Organism

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 17, 2019, 10:15:47 PM
That's usually when the film's art department takes over and comes up with something more imaginative.  Like turning a Thompson submachine gun into the USCM M-41A pulse rifle.

It's especially disappointing when they could literally draw anything and still fail to come up with something new.  A comic book artist isn't limited by a film budget.

One thing I always admired about Denis Beauvais' art in Book 2 was his nice inventive and creative output of side arms and weaponry. They fit perfectly into the whole Aliens aesthetic - in fact he nailed the whole tech of that Cameron world perfectly.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 17, 2019, 11:29:33 PM
Of course it's nitpicky, but that's what we do here.

touché

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed