William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 151,041 times)

Perfect-Organism

It doesn't really push the envelope, but it does carry the narrative forward.  The blandness may coincide with a lot of the exposition that is going on.  We'll see if it picks up pace once the proverbial shit hits the fan.

The colors aren't very controlled.  I'm not seeing much atmosphere created.  We'll see how it all plays itself out.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Considering how I normally find comics unbearably rushed, I'm liking the slow buildup to this.

And assuming this is based on the second draft (as it appears to be), it took a while before any Alien stuff really kicked off in the script, too.

Perfect-Organism

The pacing is fine.  I'm liking it too.  The comment was about the art, which I don't particularly have an issue with.  It's just not hitting it's stride yet until we see aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wweyland on Dec 24, 2018, 10:27:20 PM
Are there 4 issues in total? Seems like a lot of setup and not much from the main characters.

It's a 5 issue run, otherwise I would agree with you. But I'm liking that they're giving the script time to get set up without condensing the story.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 25, 2018, 03:00:48 PMThe pacing is fine.  I'm liking it too.  The comment was about the art, which I don't particularly have an issue with.  It's just not hitting it's stride yet until we see aliens.

Comment wasn't necessarily directed at you, just speaking generally :)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 26, 2018, 10:52:39 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 25, 2018, 03:00:48 PMThe pacing is fine.  I'm liking it too.  The comment was about the art, which I don't particularly have an issue with.  It's just not hitting it's stride yet until we see aliens.

Comment wasn't necessarily directed at you, just speaking generally :)

Oh no!  There I thought we were adding a response to the conversation in sequence and broadly to anyone else reading, as per normal procedure.  Anyway thanks for the clarification.   :)

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

i quite like the art... and i just pre-ordered both issues of #5 today ;) along with issues 2 and 3 (both variant covers) of Aliens: Resistance

non stop comics for months!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The art is good, but I do think that certain moments could have used bigger panels. The eco module feels very cramped, for example, despite looking bigger than I'd imagined from the script.

Kane's other son

Alien and Aliens are immaculately designed. The designs in this are generic. No memorable spaceships, props or character designs. And there is little effort to create atmosphere through the use of colour and shadows. It's pretty basic.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Very true. I was hoping for some Ron Cobb/Sydmeadesque future visuals. Perhaps it would even benefit from a more old school approach in drawing as well. Like something from the earliest aliens comics.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Denis would have been perfect.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 03, 2019, 11:10:27 PM

I'd save him for an adapt of Ward's story

skhellter

skhellter

The script was a boring read and it is making for a boring comic book.

Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Resurrection/Prometheus/Covenant all have a very distinct look and aesthetic and so far this comic just looks so.... boring and cheap and unimaginative. The aesthetic here is just generic scifi..

Poor.

James Stokoe or Tristran Jones would be much better choices

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jan 04, 2019, 12:01:35 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 03, 2019, 11:10:27 PM

I'd save him for an adapt of Ward's story

I don't know about that.  I think he's best at replicating the look and feel of the first two films (which is exactly what this series needs), but Ward's Alien 3 lacks most of those trappings.

Russ840

Russ840

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed