Alien not in the vents but walking on all fours?

Started by cyt0sk3l3t0n, Nov 02, 2014, 06:04:32 AM

Author
Alien not in the vents but walking on all fours? (Read 3,270 times)

cyt0sk3l3t0n

cyt0sk3l3t0n

This scared the shit out of me. (More than the game usually does).
It happened in Corporate Lockdown. I was hiding behind some boxes and I heard the Alien approaching. I looked up at the height its head is usually at, expecting to see it and and hope it doesn't see me, but I jumped when some unfamiliar thing came into view. It took me a second to realize it was the Alien, but it was walking on all fours... in the open. Was NOT expecting that at all. I really wanted to take some pictures or record the moment, but I sadly don't have any of that kind of software.
I hypothesize this was a glitch: It was crawling around in the vents and got stuck like that. Maybe it wasn't, though. Maybe this came in an update? Because I've never seen it do that before and I've invested a LOT of time in the game. I wanted to get under a table and see if it would notice me immediately right next to it unlike when it's in a standing position, perhaps proving that this is a feature the developers intended, but I didn't last that long, sadly (the Alien got me in a vent system right before I was going to put it to the test). And if this isn't a feature the developers put in the game, they should.
Anyone else have a similar experience?

Keg

It does occassionally look under tables, benches and gurneys etc and I think it gets down on all fours to do that so you may have caught it as t stood up. I've also noticed it crouch down onto all fours but not move and just stay still. Never saw it moving about like that.

I had a f**king awesome "Jurassic Park, raptors in the kitchen" thing happen to me in the med bay yesterday. I was just outside of the room where you find the woman on the bed who has been chest bursted and suddenly I saw some people up ahead and then heard the noise of the alien running followed by screaming. I panicked and sprinted back into the room as the alien wiped out the people outside and then I realised I'd used sprint so it would have heard me too so I hid under the bed with the woman on top.

Sure enough the alien then ran into the room and stopped where I had stopped sprinting and I saw it about to bend down and check under the bed so I quickly got out the other side and beside the cabinet beside the bed. It then looked under right where I was a second ago and then slowly stalked around the bed as I moved slowly in the opposite direction around it. Reminded me so much of the tension in that raptor scene with Tim and Lex. I f**king love this game.

I f**king love this game.

cyt0sk3l3t0n

cyt0sk3l3t0n

Quote from: Keg on Nov 02, 2014, 02:11:05 PM
It does occassionally look under tables, benches and gurneys etc and I think it gets down on all fours to do that so you may have caught it as t stood up. I've also noticed it crouch down onto all fours but not move and just stay still. Never saw it moving about like that.

I had a f**king awesome "Jurassic Park, raptors in the kitchen" thing happen to me in the med bay yesterday. I was just outside of the room where you find the woman on the bed who has been chest bursted and suddenly I saw some people up ahead and then heard the noise of the alien running followed by screaming. I panicked and sprinted back into the room as the alien wiped out the people outside and then I realised I'd used sprint so it would have heard me too so I hid under the bed with the woman on top.

Sure enough the alien then ran into the room and stopped where I had stopped sprinting and I saw it about to bend down and check under the bed so I quickly got out the other side and beside the cabinet beside the bed. It then looked under right where I was a second ago and then slowly stalked around the bed as I moved slowly in the opposite direction around it. Reminded me so much of the tension in that raptor scene with Tim and Lex. I f**king love this game.

I f**king love this game.
Lol me too.
I had a Jurassic Park raptor experience as well. This is actually when the Alien killed me in the vents when I was trying to find a room to test my hypothesis in. I heard the Alien about 20 feet behind me. It let out no shriek or growl, so I presumed it didn't see me. I enter one of the vents. As I crawl straight, I approach an opening to the right of me. I've been down there before and know it's just a dead end that leads up into the ceiling vents. As I get right next to it, I hear a loud crash (that's something that will soil your pants real good). I spin to the right and turn on my flashlight only to see the Alien crawling full speed at me. Clever girl, I think to myself.
Outside of the vents, you at least have a chance to escape the Alien's view. In the vents, you're f**ked the second you hear the bastard. That's its domain.
Oh, and a response to the first part of your comment: It was prowling around like a black biomechanical panther. It wasn't looking under the tables; it was going through doorways and down hallways in this position.

Keg

Im gonna have to replay it on hard. Only done normal for my first two playthroughs and ive barely seen it in vents and ive only ever had to hold my breath in a locker once. Im presuming on hard ita more prone to go into vents more often and be more aggressive and i want to see more of its behaviour. I think ive seen it in a vent twice amd it was coming toward me when i had the flamethrower so i survived both times but apart from that ive never had it in a vent with me and i want that to happen more often because vents are starting to feel too safe on normal.

USG Ishimura

I played and completed it on hard, now playing it on easy. So far I'm noticing that the Alien spends more time in the vents leaving me to be able to walk the corridors without having to sneak around so much, especially in Medical.

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Keg on Nov 04, 2014, 07:46:21 AM
Im gonna have to replay it on hard. Only done normal for my first two playthroughs and ive barely seen it in vents and ive only ever had to hold my breath in a locker once. Im presuming on hard ita more prone to go into vents more often and be more aggressive and i want to see more of its behaviour. I think ive seen it in a vent twice amd it was coming toward me when i had the flamethrower so i survived both times but apart from that ive never had it in a vent with me and i want that to happen more often because vents are starting to feel too safe on normal.

Yeah I've had pretty much the exact same experience in a 20+ hour play through on medium, I had the Alien encounter me just once inside the vents. There were even occasions where it seemed to know I was there, yet did not come inside. It does get to the stage where you feel safe inside the vents unfortunately. I hope it is different in hard mode for sure.

Keg

Just finished a second play through on medium and never encountered it in a vent once. However what was brilliant was seeing more than one alien together for the first time. I thought i caught a glimpse of one going into an over head vent and another walking around the corner in the nest on my first play through but that was it. This time I definately saw two together on several occasions and i panicked like f**k. Which id seen that happen on my first time when i wasnt aware that could happen. Is it possible for more than two or is that the max?

PsyKore

The Alien will go into the vents to get you, but in my experience only if you keep hiding in there for long periods. It's only happened to me once and it was because the Alien kept pacing back and forth outside for ages and I was waiting for him to leave, he then suddenly left and dropped right down in the vent behind me.

I've never seen more than two Aliens at once. On my first playthrough in the hive I got tail killed in the back by one while I was looking straight ahead at the other. "Clever girl."

Keg

I noticed the alien moving really slowly last night. Similar to the way it walks slowly towards Lambert in the film without the wavy arms. If I cant hear the alien I dont tend to use the motion detector because it usually means its far enough away not worry and I only pull it out when I hear the ping and im not sure where it is. Because it was moving very slowly it wasnt making that loud clanking it usually does when stomping around so i walked into a room and got a shock it was there. I quickly hid and watched it move around the room like that making no noise like it was stalking. Wish it did that more often as i had no idea it was there it was being so quiet. For most of the time its so loud you can generally get a sense for its location without the tracker but this time it almost tricked me into thinking it wasnt there.

PsyKore

I liked seeing the Alien stalk quietly as well. It was very unnerving and effective. Shame it's not like that most of the time instead of it stomping around like Robocop.

Keg

I think maybe it does that when it knows you're in the general area but couldnt find you? Lures you into thinking its gone and you might pop out of hiding and accidentally alert it. No idea. I love how the AI is so unpredictable.

Aliens Dude

Quote from: Keg on Nov 04, 2014, 10:39:05 PM
Just finished a second play through on medium and never encountered it in a vent once. However what was brilliant was seeing more than one alien together for the first time. I thought i caught a glimpse of one going into an over head vent and another walking around the corner in the nest on my first play through but that was it. This time I definately saw two together on several occasions and i panicked like f**k. Which id seen that happen on my first time when i wasnt aware that could happen. Is it possible for more than two or is that the max?

The scariest moment I had in the game was during the last mission, while trying to get t the space suit, I got to the room at the bottom of the stairwell and realized there were two aliens in the room.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Nov 04, 2014, 08:27:20 PMYeah I've had pretty much the exact same experience in a 20+ hour play through on medium, I had the Alien encounter me just once inside the vents. There were even occasions where it seemed to know I was there, yet did not come inside. It does get to the stage where you feel safe inside the vents unfortunately. I hope it is different in hard mode for sure.

Late in the game on hard it uses the vents quite a bit.

I was under the impression the vents were basically a safe zone until I got into the final act. Then it would come hunting for me even when it didn't know I was in the air shafts. That was fun.

Sagit

I read somewhere that going into vents (not the ceilling ones) is part of Aliens learning. Just as later in the game it won't response so well to flares and noisemakers, it'll also start to look for you in the ventilation system. Try to remember: maybe you flamed its ass once or two while leaving the vents and it was right there at the entrance. I think that is the reason it starts to crawl in them.

Dark Blade1

when you run away from the alien when you go in the vents it has to walk on fours all aliens do that when they are going in the vents to kill their prey so the alien does walk on fours when they go in the vent so just letting you know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed