Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,703 times)

tmoldovan

tmoldovan

To add my 2 cents, in Xmen, the universe is so hoaky, characters come and go all the time. I still enjoy the movies, I just don't take them very seriously.
Alien universe, on the other hand started very seriously, and Sigourney has always given it a 110%, even though Fox seems to try to f**k it up at every step.

I didn't even care about Hicks and Newt, and while the plot point is solid, I felt that their deaths and the egg were a cheap exit, and should have been handled better.

I think Blomkamp could give the movie a serious, gritty treatment that the Alien and the universe deserve, and it could and should be done without Ripley. At this point Fox is just using her as a crutch on their shitwagon.

Edit: let me add this, in fairness to Fox, Predators and Prometheus seem like serious attempts, so maybe there is someone there paying attention.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Just some fun art Williams drew that I thought was worth sharing, since his piece (the one with the variant Hammerpede and egg) was part of the collection of images that Blomkamp released.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 08, 2015, 08:37:36 AM
It absolutely served a purpose. The entire point of Alien 3 was Ripley losing everything, yet again, to the Alien. If they were still alive somewhere that would totally negate that point.

As I said, you can love or hate the decision, but it was an integral part of what the third film was trying to do.

She would have been cut off from them if they had been jettisoned for elsewhere (especially if she had no idea) or kept in stasis, too. It really wouldn't have changed much.

What matters is that, emotionally, it's the Boba Fett effect: The deaths felt cheap.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 08, 2015, 07:10:42 PM
We wouldn't even need additional footage of the facehugger.  The audience is smart enough to assume that it hitched a ride on the sly.

An egg, on the other hand, requires far more rationalization than that.

Actually, that would just exchange one plot-hole for another. Instead of not knowing where the egg came from, we'd be wondering why the facehugger didn't join in and either attack Ripley or, more obviously, Newt.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 09, 2015, 10:04:20 AM
Anyway, how could it all be a dream? You never dream about your own death :P

Many people do.

Vrastal

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 13, 2015, 01:02:52 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 08, 2015, 08:37:36 AM
It absolutely served a purpose. The entire point of Alien 3 was Ripley losing everything, yet again, to the Alien. If they were still alive somewhere that would totally negate that point.

As I said, you can love or hate the decision, but it was an integral part of what the third film was trying to do.

She would have been cut off from them if they had been jettisoned for elsewhere (especially if she had no idea) or kept in stasis, too. It really wouldn't have changed much.

What matters is that, emotionally, it's the Boba Fett effect: The deaths felt cheap.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 08, 2015, 07:10:42 PM
We wouldn't even need additional footage of the facehugger.  The audience is smart enough to assume that it hitched a ride on the sly.

An egg, on the other hand, requires far more rationalization than that.

Actually, that would just exchange one plot-hole for another. Instead of not knowing where the egg came from, we'd be wondering why the facehugger didn't join in and either attack Ripley or, more obviously, Newt.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 09, 2015, 10:04:20 AM
Anyway, how could it all be a dream? You never dream about your own death :P

Many people do.

it wouldnt have been a safe place for the facehugger. It would have waited

Jman

I think many people on this thread have some interesting ideas and opinions concerning plot lines that can jump from the ending of ALIENS (thus somehow bypassing the events of A3 and A:R) to make a new movie, as well as a true sequel that keeps Ripley, Hicks, and maybe even Newt alive. A movie with those characters re-appearing would draw an enormous audience, in my opinion. 

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 13, 2015, 01:02:52 AMShe would have been cut off from them if they had been jettisoned for elsewhere (especially if she had no idea) or kept in stasis, too. It really wouldn't have changed much.

It would've changed things a lot - there would've been hope. Having them separated but out there somewhere means there's a chance they'll be reunited eventually. Having them dead means there's no hope at all. It's over. Finished. That's a big difference for Ripley's character.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 13, 2015, 01:02:52 AMMany people do.

Really? I always thought that never occurred. I'd always either miraculously survive or wake up before it happened.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 09, 2015, 10:44:58 PMTurk is too complex a character for Copley.  Daniel Day-Lewis or don't even bother.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Nazrel on Jan 13, 2015, 06:18:10 AM
it wouldnt have been a safe place for the facehugger. It would have waited

Neither was Med Lab. When a potential victim is standing around, they'll do all they can to get to it. Successfully latching on a victim's face is actually their best chance for survival: The other members of the proverbial tribe are unlikely to want to kill one of their own. That's what the Alien relies on.

Also, Newt was relatively unprotected when Ripley was engaging the Queen with a powerloader - and, before that, the Queen was just stomping around for a minute or so, hunting around for Newt. A facehugger running around should have made an appearance at that point (and would have had a much easier time of chasing her under that floor.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 13, 2015, 08:44:24 AM
It would've changed things a lot - there would've been hope. Having them separated but out there somewhere means there's a chance they'll be reunited eventually. Having them dead means there's no hope at all. It's over. Finished. That's a big difference for Ripley's character.

But like I said, even if you wanted to retain all of that (and it wouldn't have made much difference to the basic story), then just have her be unaware of another EEV having been launched.

Would've been the same situation as Ripley 8, who is assuming she's alone, but we, as fans, know there's still a mysterious unexplained absence of 'Ripley 7' (who could be anything).

QuoteReally? I always thought that never occurred. I'd always either miraculously survive or wake up before it happened.

Apparently so! It's not something I've personally experienced, but others have.

Then again, you're supposedly not meant to see yourself in third-person, like you're in a movie, but I've had that. I also have memories of what it was like when in the womb and of being born, which are also usually declared as being impossible.

So, I don't think it's unreasonable to be portrayed in such a fashion. Especially when we know Ripley had been repeatedly dreaming about getting killed (or worse), before. In hypersleep, you don't have the option of a nightmare ending by waking up from it, after all. You're in a coma until computers decide otherwise.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 13, 2015, 11:46:58 AMBut like I said, even if you wanted to retain all of that (and it wouldn't have made much difference to the basic story), then just have her be unaware of another EEV having been launched.

But that still wouldn't be the same. Not knowing exactly what happened to them is different from knowing definitively that they are dead. It was that sense of absolute loss that their unequivocal deaths brought to the plot. Anything other than that would have left her with hope.

Not to mention Bishop would know if they'd been safely shot off in another EEV when he accessed the black box.

Russ

Some interesting stuff that many forumites will know all ready, but precised nicely by the good folk of Den of Geek:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien-3/33600/alien-3-the-story-ideas-that-never-made-it-to-the-screen

Seemingly, Cameron's departure was the nail in Hick's cryotube.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Jan 13, 2015, 01:23:06 PMSeemingly, Cameron's departure was the nail in Hick's cryotube.

Hicks was supposed to be the star of the third film long after Cameron walked away (I for one have never heard it suggested he was actually interested in directing a third one). It wasn't until Gibson's script was thrown out and Eric Red took over writing that Hicks bit the dust.

Russ

I kind of wish they'd gone for the themes of the earlier drafts. I think some of the comments on that article are bang on - Alien3 a bit of mess, pritt-sticked from other scripts and also the person that notes that many people were just pissed off they got Alien3 instead of Aliens 2.

One thing I'd never thought of was the double-dipping Facehugger. Even if we accept the deus ex of it (or its egg) being on the Sulaco, how does it impregnate Ripley AND the cow (or dog). I'm sure there's a fifty page thread on that in here somewhere...

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Jan 13, 2015, 01:49:19 PMOne thing I'd never thought of was the double-dipping Facehugger. Even if we accept the deus ex of it (or its egg) being on the Sulaco, how does it impregnate Ripley AND the cow (or dog). I'm sure there's a fifty page thread on that in here somewhere...

Originally it was supposed to be a "Super Facehugger" with a different design, capable of impregnating one host with a Queen and another with a regular Alien to act as her protector. That much kinda makes some logical sense. But the idea was dropped and they went with a regular Facehugger, presumably just hoping no one would notice.

The Super Facehugger is seen very briefly in the Assembly Cut.

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed