Original 'ALIEN' ending - Ripley dies? Alien speaks?

Started by StayFrosty, Nov 06, 2011, 05:07:58 AM

Author
Original 'ALIEN' ending - Ripley dies? Alien speaks? (Read 12,934 times)

aliennaire

aliennaire

I guess, Mr. Sco tt would rather stuck to multiplying Prometheus's 2nd, 3rd, etc. sequels, like Mr. Cameron, who has seeminglyfound his milky cow in Avatar. Furthermore, Riddley once said, that Alien franchise has gone to nowhere at the point, where it is now...

Though, in my humble opinion, if Fox men ever stumble on somewhat decent idea of how to enliven Alien frachise, they'll snatch it bang off. I want to hope that it will happen someday, too! :) Even regardless of who would be charged as a director here.

stroggificated

Haha. To be honest, i had no problems with an more intelligent alien. Aliens we've seen so far aren't acting much less than aggressive humans slaughtering some inferior greys, just without impregnating and stuff.
I believe it can kinda talk, it just wasn't shown yet  ;D

StayFrosty

Well I guess it could have worked out if the Alien was more intelligent, but I still don't think it fits its behavioral patterns we see throughout most of ALIEN. And certainly, it doesn't fit after everything after the second film.

One thing that bothers me about PROMETHEUS with no Alien... does anybody really care about the Space Jockey THAT badly that they want to see an entire movie exclusively devoted to the Space Jockey? Is it really THAT important? I'd much rather a movie about where the Aliens came from, and throw the Space Jockies in there, show the crash on LV-426, etc.

And by the sound of Prometheus, it might be weird knowing the Space Jockies have so much to do with the human race. To me, the Space Jockey was something from far away, completely mysterious and unrelated to humans. It's like all the things the newer Star Wars Trilogy added to the series.... Darth Vader built and owned C-3PO and R-2D, he was friends with Greedo.... all these other things that just kind of add an unrealistic cartoony "cheese" to it. I hope Prometheus and the history of the Space Jockey don't do that, but I dunno.

Basically, I mean adding in all these friendships, alleigences, and connections just takes the fun out of some of the randomness in these movies.

I do agree, it sounds stupid that Ridley was saying Prometheus would be an Alien film, and then he changes his mind. Really bad marketing idea, IMO. I just hope he's pulling our legs now just to shock us.

SiL

It is but it isn't. Which honestly isn't that difficult a concept to work out.

StayFrosty

Yes, I understand it completely.

But there has to be Xenomorphs in it, otherwise it isn't an Alien movie.

But I still don't understand how the movie can be done unless it does add the "cheese" coincidences in it, taking away from the mystique of the Space Jockey and where the Aliens came from.

Now obviously, there are other ways to do it to avoid this "cheese". But from what I know about Prometheus, that might not happen, since it sounds like humans are going to be very much involved.

SM

Don't be shocked if there's no xenomorphs in it.  It's been made perfectly clear that this isn't an Alien film.

QuoteWell I guess it could have worked out if the Alien was more intelligent, but I still don't think it fits its behavioral patterns we see throughout most of ALIEN

Depending on the execution, it might've worked perfectly.  The second movie has no bearing on anything.

Alien³

Quote from: StayFrosty on Nov 08, 2011, 11:11:05 AM
But there has to be Xenomorphs in it, otherwise it isn't an Alien movie.

It isn't going to be an "alien" movie with xenomorphs. Its another film set in the same universe.
That is all we have to go on right now. 

Xenomrph

QuoteIt's been made perfectly clear that this isn't an Alien film.
That's a little misleading - it might not have Xenomorphs in it, but a bunch of people associated with it have still referred to it as an Alien prequel, set in the same universe as 'Alien'.

SM

SM

The lack of Alien in the title would indicate it's not an Alien film, no matter what links it has with them.

Riddles has even said we'll see links in the last few minutes.  Meaning it'll be something else entirely for the other couple of hours.

StayFrosty

Yeah, I mean I know it's not an Alien film featuring Xenomorphs.... but there could be Xenomorphs in it for a few minutes, even just at the ending, just as a subplot. Maybe it'll show the Space Jockeys creating some kind of biological weapon throughout, and then at the end we'll see that the weapon is indeed the Xenomorph. Something like that. But the Xenomorph is definitely not the main theme, and it may even work out good that way. It might give new relevance to the Xenomorph if it's a subplot in some totally different kind of movie. People will go to see it who don't even know or care about the Alien series and then BAM, there it is - the Xenomorph. It could get people interested in the Alien films who didn't care about them before. We'll see.

And yes, ALIENS has no baring on the original ALIEN..... when '79 ALIEN was being made, there was no knowledge on what a second film would be, assuming there would even be one. But I'm saying if they did make the Alien be intelligent in the first movie, it's doubtful any second movie would resemble anything close to the ALIENS we know... and that would be kind of a bummer. To be honest, if the Alien was intelligent, it's hard to say if I ever would have got interested in the series, or, at least not until much later in my life.

As far as Sci-Fi thought goes at least back in the 70's, I think it was a pretty intriguing idea to do a film series revolving around an alien creature that is not the typical intelligent, humanoid design most people think of.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Nov 09, 2011, 02:45:21 AM
The lack of Alien in the title would indicate it's not an Alien film, no matter what links it has with them
By that logic, I guess 'The Dark Knight' wasn't a Batman movie? It doesn't have Batman in the title, after all.

I don't think it needs to have the word "Alien" in the title for people to understand that it's an Alien movie. If it's not an Alien movie, why is this Alien-related website covering all news related to it? Saying "it's not an Alien movie" is silly semantics at best.

SM

SM

QuoteBy that logic, I guess 'The Dark Knight' wasn't a Batman movie? It doesn't have Batman in the title, after all.

Are we talking about Batman films? 

QuoteI don't think it needs to have the word "Alien" in the title for people to understand that it's an Alien movie. If it's not an Alien movie, why is this Alien-related website covering all news related to it?

I give up - why?

Alien films have people battling Aliens.  This film has some links to Alien in the last few minutes.  Pretty easy to work out what does and doesn't constitute an Alien film.

Assuming Riddles isn't stooging us.

Xenomrph

QuoteAre we talking about Batman films? 
Just pointing out how meaningless it is that 'Prometheus' doesn't have "Alien" in the title as some sort of bearing on whether or not it's an Alien film.

QuoteI give up - why?
Because it's an Alien film. :P

QuoteAlien films have people battling Aliens.  This film has some links to Alien in the last few minutes.  Pretty easy to work out what does and doesn't constitute an Alien film.
Yeah, and that's semantics. A bunch of cast and crew related to Prometheus have come right out and said "yeah, it's an Alien film even if there isn't an Alien in it most of the time".

StayFrosty

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 09, 2011, 06:09:15 AM
Quote from: SM on Nov 09, 2011, 02:45:21 AM
The lack of Alien in the title would indicate it's not an Alien film, no matter what links it has with them
By that logic, I guess 'The Dark Knight' wasn't a Batman movie? It doesn't have Batman in the title, after all.

I don't think it needs to have the word "Alien" in the title for people to understand that it's an Alien movie. If it's not an Alien movie, why is this Alien-related website covering all news related to it? Saying "it's not an Alien movie" is silly semantics at best.

I'm just going by what we know so far... it does not sound like an Alien movie. At this point, there is no reason to believe it's a true "Alien" movie, especially judging by what Ridley Scott has said so far.

The Title + Ridley's own words = not an Alien movie, at this point any way. That's far enough to speculate it not being an Alien film. But yes, I suppose it could change at any time when we get more information.

There is still a very good chance there are no Xenomorphs in the movie whatsoever. Not even a face hugger or an egg. We may not even see the Space Jockey's ship crash on LV-426. It's possible there will be no reference to that incident.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no reference to it whatsoever, but the movie is still being considered an Alien prequel by a whole lot of people who are making the movie. It's like the novel Grendel. It's pretty well understood that it's a Beowulf story, despite not actually mentioning Beowulf by name or sharing the same title.
You could think of Prometheus as a "companion piece", but not considering it an Alien film is still semantics.

Edit-- from Wikipedia:
QuoteHowever, speaking to MTV on February 12, 2011, Fassbender stated the film was still an Alien prequel, saying, "Prometheus is absolutely connected to Alien... There's a definite connecting vein."[12] In a June 2011 interview, screenwriter Damon Lindelof claimed it will be a prequel to the Alien films but follow a different story, stating "a true prequel should essentially [precede] the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters, have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be".[1] In an interview on the BBC Morning Show, Rafe Spall further confirmed that the film would indeed be a prequel to Alien, saying, "I think fans of the franchise will love it. Alien is one of the best films ever made, and it's a real buzz to be in a space suit on an 'Alien' set with Ridley Scott coming and speaking to you. It's incredible. That's why I wanted to be an actor, to be in a space suit on an 'Alien' set".
If there's confusion as to whether or not it's an Alien movie, I suspect Ridley Scott needs to get his actors and screenwriter all on the same page. :P
Frankly all Ridley's comments downplaying the Alien links have struck me as him being coy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed