What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 282,197 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 09, 2022, 11:51:58 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 08, 2022, 11:01:31 PM
I'm trying to read through all of the Cormac McCarthy novels, working on Child of God right now.

Child of God is dark as hell. My favourite is The Road.

Before this read through, I'd read No Country, The Road, and Blood Meridian. I don't know if BM will be topped for me.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 09, 2022, 06:24:34 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 09, 2022, 11:51:58 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 08, 2022, 11:01:31 PM
I'm trying to read through all of the Cormac McCarthy novels, working on Child of God right now.

Child of God is dark as hell. My favourite is The Road.

Before this read through, I'd read No Country, The Road, and Blood Meridian. I don't know if BM will be topped for me.

I've read No Country and Blood Meridian as well but The Road is still my fav. Did you know that Craig Zahler (A Congregation of Jackals and Wraiths of the Broken Land) doesn't like Blood Meridian?

QuoteFilmmaker: What are your favorite westerns?

Zahler: When I was 13 or 14, I started watching a lot of older movies and The Wild Bunch really resonated with me. I've been interested in westerns from that point on. The truth is a lot of what drove me to start writing westerns was around 2005 there was a revival of western movies at Film Forum (in New York) and I went and saw 18 or 19 of them in a two-week period and I didn't like a lot of them. Around that time someone recommended that I read Blood Meridian, which I know is this beloved western and certainly one of the most popular western books written recently, but I didn't like Blood Meridian. So after that combination of experiences, I figured out a lot of what I wanted to read and see in a western. I never really try to just follow behind something I enjoy, because that thing already exists. I try more to look at things that I think are lacking in a genre and what I can do to fill that gap.

Since that time I've delved a lot deeper into the genre. I watched a lot of the Anthony Mann westerns and the Budd Boetticher films — The Man From Laramie, Man of the West, The Tall T, Seven Men From Now. Those are pretty terrific westerns. And I really enjoy The Shootist and Red River. Those are my favorite John Wayne movies. Seeing Once Upon a Time in the West for the first time on the big screen in New York was also a really memorable experience. That movie and The Wild Bunch remain my favorite westerns.

https://filmmakermagazine.com/96324-if-you-move-in-a-hasty-manner-ill-put-a-bullet-in-you-s-craig-zahler-on-bone-tomahawk/#.Ydtb8mjP1PY

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Huh, didn't know that.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Well, now you know ;D

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

The political thread again. It's like it has a plot or something.  :laugh:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (pane name of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). The first book from The Expanse. I literally started and I'm hooked already.

EJA

EJA

TWILIGHT EYES by Dean Koontz, one of my favourite authors.

Kradan

Kradan

Aliens: Earth Hive/Nightmare Asylum

Switching between chapters of two books, interesting way to read, like two timelines running along each other simultaneously. 

Perry's writing has some jarring aspects.  For example, he likes repeating things: like Billy constantly thinking about how conflicted she is about Buller and why he didn't tell her and how much she still loves him and blah blah blah. Or Wilks thinking how he should've died way back when with his squad and how he has been leaving in debt for many years and blah blah blah blah. Also, author gets quite horny and probably bit too descriptive for my taste in few places. Reading about General Spears first sex was really uncomfortable  :-\

But there's still a lot of good in these books. I like how dystopian, hopeless this world feels, how simple people are constantly getting screwed over by goverments and companies which have no regards to the ideas of law and human rights. Aliens seem like only one amongst many terrible ways to die in this universe

Oh, and General Spears is probably still my favourite human villain from any Alien media. He's so deliciously over-the-top: constantly thinking about how great of a soldier he is, how nobody can outsmart him (and credits where credits  is due  - he has lots of reason to think so), how his victories are gonna set glorious examples for a future military conflicts and ruthlessly feeding his soldiers to the Aliens for the smallest of mistakes. Gotta love the man

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Finished listening to Captain Blood. Overall it was an excellent pirate adventure, even if the last quarter or so was a bit dragged out with typical misunderstanding drama among other things. The battle of Maracaibo is just the best.

Also got started on Suttree while I was away on vacation, will pick it back up soon. Moonlight Melonmounter. :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Currently splitting time between Blood, Sweat & Chrome: The Wild and True History of Mad Max: Fury Road by Kyle Buchanan and Kull: Exile of Atlantis, a collection of all of Robert R. Howard's Kull stories.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Starting Caliban's War, the second book in The Expanse series. Really loved the first one, Leviathan Wakes.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Blackout, second book in crime fiction Dark Iceland series by Ragnar Jónasson.

Stitch

Stitch

Powers of Darkness: The Unique Version of Dracula

By Bram Stoker and A__e

The extended Swedish version of Dracula, translated finally into English. It's really cool. But I am a bit of a Dracula fan.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

VN1X

VN1X

Incredibly minor spoilers (if that) but:
I'm reading Sea of Sorrows and isn't it kind of silly that in relation to Night Vision Goggles the writer makes it seem as if they are still dependent upon ancient technology? At least in terms of that they heavily reduce peripheral vision and that 'more advanced tech' would be very expensive (which makes no sense considering how far we're into the future and that it would only get cheaper and smaller lol).

Also the fact that they still use .com addresses across millions of kilometres or light years away is kinda ridiculous no? 😅

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed