5 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 398

Author
AvPR vs A:R (Read 142,572 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 16, 2019, 09:24:30 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 16, 2019, 09:16:24 PM
So in a way you see it as Spaceballs. Hmm, maybe that's too much. Ice Pirates perhaps!

Yeah, to me it all feels unintended. I wish I could feel that way.  :)

I'm not sure Whedon was in on the joke despite writing most of them, but the finished result comes off as affectionate parody more frequently than it wants to be taken at face value, for me. 

I don't think choosing a director known for his surrealist comedy and romance films was a coincidence.

Not sure Delicatessen was a romance.

SiL

SiL

There was a romance in it at least.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I could have used some better grammar. And am possibly misremembering the release dates of a few of his films. However the point stands that he wasn't an accidental choice for that script.

SiL

SiL

I think he got it on the strength of City of Lost Children.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 16, 2019, 09:24:30 PM
I'm not sure Whedon was in on the joke despite writing most of them, but the finished result comes off as affectionate parody more frequently than it wants to be taken at face value, for me. 

I think parody is the best way to describe Resurrection. It's an Alien parody. It certainly has some redeeming qualities and scenes, but over all, it's just a mockery of an Alien film.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 17, 2019, 05:57:09 AM
I think he got it on the strength of City of Lost Children.

Which, to be fair, was a fantastic film.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 16, 2019, 10:13:05 AM
Apart from the controls, yeah it is.
It's as if it's a bizarre precursor to Isolation also,
the HUD, the resource management, the wall-mounted save stations, the invincible Alien chasing you near the ending levels and friendly & enemy A.I survivors.

Never thought of that!

SM

SM

I think parody is the best way to describe Resurrection. It's an Alien parody. It certainly has some redeeming qualities and scenes, but over all, it's just a mockery of an Alien film.

I wouldn't agree with parody and mockery is a value judgment.

They tried to make something akin to Aliens, with many creatures, guns, and a few wisecracks.  The script wasn't up to par, which wasn't helped by budget cuts, and they hired a director who was known for quirk and not action (despite him studying action movies to give the studio what he thought they wanted).

It was a brave attempt to revive the franchise at the outset, which - just like Alien 3 - they had second thoughts about and didn't give it the respect it deserved.  It's not parody.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

It is parody, and the concept got the respect it deserved.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 09:21:36 AM
It is parody, and the concept got the respect it deserved.

How can you be so definitive about it? Was it labelled by cast, crew and studio as a parody via press interviews and promotional material surrounding the film's release? Or did this develop later, organically through fandom as time passed to make it more palatable?  Because it strikes me as all unintended.

Quote from: SM on Jul 17, 2019, 08:40:48 AM

I wouldn't agree with parody and mockery is a value judgment.

They tried to make something akin to Aliens, with many creatures, guns, and a few wisecracks.  The script wasn't up to par, which wasn't helped by budget cuts, and they hired a director who was known for quirk and not action (despite him studying action movies to give the studio what he thought they wanted).

It was a brave attempt to revive the franchise at the outset, which - just like Alien 3 - they had second thoughts about and didn't give it the respect it deserved.  It's not parody.

I believe SM is more likely on point here.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Good intentions don't count for much, it ended up a parody despite trying to be something else.
I've seen it regularly considered a comedy even amongst people who enjoy it.

Call 1-800freemoney for your copy of Alien Resurrection.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Jul 17, 2019, 12:52:00 PM
Good intentions don't count for much, it ended up a parody despite trying to be something else.
I've seen it regularly considered a comedy even amongst people who enjoy it.

Call 1-800freemoney for your copy of Alien Resurrection.

Ending up a parody I won't debate you on.  :)  I just wish I could see it through that prism and enjoy it that way.

Of course I still own AR. Oh fandom, thou art a heartless bastard! ;)

SiL

SiL

The Blu-Ray is gorgeous. Darius Khondji's cinematography is some of the most beautiful in the franchise when it's not late-90s effects shots.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I'll definitely concede to that. Most of the cinematography in AR is quite delicious.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

It is, I thought the Blu-ray was rather lackluster though if I'm honest.

P-Rock

P-Rock

The blu-ray is ok. Nothing special, a bit soft looking. Could use a remaster.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed