Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) - Super Thread

Started by OpenMaw, Jun 03, 2018, 07:43:53 AM

Author
Alien vs. Predator (Atari Jaguar) - Super Thread (Read 33,043 times)

Wweyland

Wweyland

I find Alien Trilogy slightly more playable but its more dumb fun while AvP Jaguar tries to be more of a simulation (and you get the Predator and Alien experience). I would say the graphics are about the same though.

lost dragon

lost dragon

Andrew Whittaker doing some Q+A back in the day:

Q)So, is it true that the original AI for AvP was so good that the Predators went around and killed all the Aliens, thus making the game too easy?

A) I dont know as it made the game too easy having rampaging Predators, but yes
thats quite true. It was fun tho. You could hear alien screams around the
place all the time :)

Q) How many objects/enemies are actually being tracked and updated in real

A)Everything on the level you are currently on are tracked in realtime. This was the only way to maintain pack strategies wherein all the aliens, marines etc worked in defined groups with well defined objectives. There was over a
couple of hundred strategies per character type. The first one people usually find is "stupid alien" where an alien mills around a room aimlessly,
but is in reality there to distract you from all his pals being on route.

There are loads more. I shall have to discuss them all one day. But the basic point is yes, this is not doom or quake,everything is alive all the
time and plotting and scheming against you.

Q) Why were body armor and the "jump over acid" abilities dropped from the

A)The body armour didnt balance very well in gameplay. The jump over acid was
dropped for two reasons 1) you really have to think about where you kill
things 2) the cart was so full it would have meant dropping something else
to include it.

We (Luca and myself) at Unseen64 have some Q's sat with Andrew,now Jane Whittaker, doubt they will be answered as Jane has contradicted what was previously said on a number of occasions.

I also have another few misc Q's sat with another of the AVP team

lost dragon

lost dragon

Just so y'all know; Skyhammer is well-nigh finished; as ever, it's in
Atari's hands, not hours, but it ought to be in production, um, real
soon now. And I mean _real_ soon now. (but that's just our opinion, of
course).

Plans: like this says (hey, someone got it right for a change), no
plans for anything on the JagCd -- no plans for JagAvPII, blah blah
blah. Said it before, and I'll say it again.

-- dan (@ rebellion

Daniel.Mitchell
Fwiw -- the Gamesmaster review is about as accurate a review as can be
expected given the timescales of the review and 'real' (ie post 20th
Century Fox) release dates.
Secondly; the Aliens version of Doom is, um, all very well and good,
but 3D Studio rendered aliens are /not/ the same thing as digitised
images of models of aliens..

-- dan @ Rebellion

lost dragon

lost dragon

From Jane Whittaker:
,The aliens very much use their sense of smell to
seek you out. They were also coded to have acute hearing. Unlike the dooms
and quakes of the world the characters in AvP used hearing and smell in
addition to sight. If you make a lot of noise and dash around killing aliens
it will certainly attract attention to yourself. The best way to play is by stealth so they dont hear you...

molasar

molasar

I have come across an article about the game from German magazine - ST-Computer 12/1994. It has some screenshots from its very early version. The one with a predator HUD, I do not remember seeing before. There is a netgun in selection of weapons in it.

Source: http://www.stcarchiv.de/stc1994/12/jaguar-alien-vs-predator

SiL

SiL

Is there any interesting information in the article itself?

molasar

molasar

Quote from: SiL on May 05, 2019, 09:05:19 AM
Is there any interesting information in the article itself?
No, nothing new in it, just a review but they explained a compression method of data the game uses.

molasar

molasar

'Panel "Making Alien Vs. Predator for the Atari Jaguar - a 25th Anniversary retrospective" with James Hampton from the 2019 Portland Retro Gaming Expo (PRGE), October 18th - 20th, 2019.

Description: Come hear about the time James had to smuggle an Alien Queen through quarantine...seriously. James served as producer of AvP and will share a ton of insights into working with Fox Studios, Rebellion Games, and Atari.'

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's interesting regarding the Lynx version coming first. Everyone tends to report that as being developed by Rebellion, whereas James is saying it was Image.

Another interview with James. Written this time. Covers some of the same stuff as the video, but some other interesting stories in there as well!

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/james-hampton/

The Old One

The Old One

AVP Jaguar worth playing, and if so, can I emulate it?

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 06, 2020, 06:38:53 PM

Yes, you can. One of a better emulators is a Russian one called Phoenix. AvP seems to be emulated almost in 100% on it with only one glitch I have noticed. Wrongly displaying a texture for one type of door, but it is not a big issue.

However do not expect to be impressed by the game nowadays unless you are aware what other games were available in 1994 for comparison.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 06, 2020, 12:03:07 PM
It's interesting regarding the Lynx version coming first. Everyone tends to report that as being developed by Rebellion, whereas James is saying it was Image.

In an article "The Making Of: Alien Vs Predator" from Retro Gamer. No. 57 he has mentioned it as well.

https://ia800704.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/8/items/RetroGamerIssue056-060/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2.zip&file=Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_0027.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0

https://ia800704.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/8/items/RetroGamerIssue056-060/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2.zip&file=Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_0028.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0

https://ia800704.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/8/items/RetroGamerIssue056-060/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2.zip&file=Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_0029.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0

https://ia800704.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/8/items/RetroGamerIssue056-060/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2.zip&file=Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_jp2/Retro_Gamer_Issue_057_0030.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I actually ran it on my smartphone last year. A little buggy and harder to manage without a controller, but still fun.

molasar

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: molasar on Jan 06, 2020, 08:40:10 PM
In an article "The Making Of: Alien Vs Predator" from Retro Gamer. No. 57 he has mentioned it as well.

Ha, I actually brought that yesterday and now it's here for free!  :laugh:

Quote from: molasar on Jan 06, 2020, 08:40:10 PM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 06, 2020, 06:38:53 PM

Yes, you can. One of a better emulators is a Russian one called Phoenix. AvP seems to be emulated almost in 100% on it with only one glitch I have noticed. Wrongly displaying a texture for one type of door, but it is not a big issue.

Thanks, gonna check that one out! I remember it being janky when I tried to play on an emulator in the past.

I don't suppose there is anyway to change the language is there?

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 07, 2020, 09:06:56 AM
Thanks, gonna check that one out! I remember it being janky when I tried to play on an emulator in the past.

I don't suppose there is anyway to change the language is there?

It still requires a lot of processing power.

There is an English patch for it in a form of replacement file. However not all text is translated.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed