The making of the calm

Started by Wolfy, Jun 09, 2007, 10:17:15 PM

Author
The making of the calm (Read 4,618 times)

Wolfy

Wolfy

I just thought I would notify people of a new video, on The Calm website, since the Calm was posted in the news.

The making of the Calm:

PredatrHuntr

PredatrHuntr

Not too shabby for a fan made film. Not quite on par with BDE, but then I think we all hope for any fan film to be that good. Sandy set the bar and I doubt we will see any other fan film match that. I still have BDE on my PSP so I can watch it anytime I am out!

Here is a bit of a review of the highlights of the movie. These are points that the director needs to keep in mind for the next movie. Criticism is needed to point out the flaws and errors that could have been fixed. Keep in mind that these are my own opinions, but I feel that had these been corrected, the movie would have been a lot better.

Positive Aspects:
-excellent job portraying the Predator and Terminator
-great job on the Terminator. the mask was convincing and very well done. The hair left a bit to be desired (which could have been solved with a woman's touch) but the rest of the Terminator's look was perfect. Well done.
-excellent job on the authenticity of the Predator and Terminator costumes. The Terminator was spot-on and the Predator suit was awesome! I'd recognize Ron Hartman's Bio Helmet anywhere. Kudos for the money well spent on making the characters look good.

Negative Aspects:
-the blue light filter gets old very quickly. Different colored lighting could have been used to give it variety,
-you killed the main character. Now the audience hasn't got someone to root for. No one really cares if the Terminator or Predator dies, but yet you killed off a guy who apparently just lost his wife? If the audience doesn't empathize with at least one human character it takes away from the humanity and doesn't allow for us to want to root for the "good" guy to win. You risk losing the interest of the audience.
-the guy playing the Predator should have at least sat down and watched the first Predator movie to get an idea of how the Predator moves. He crouches and is very exact in his movements. The guy in he Pred suit was standing and not taking on any of the trademark Predator movements: cocking the head, quick jerky movements, crouching, stealthy, etc. This could have been solved by simply having the actor watch the first movie and skip to all the Predator parts.
-there were far too many spots that dragged on...and on...and on. The Predator isn't avoiding a T-Rex, so he doesn't have to stay still. He should be looking around and examining his environment. There are too many times in the movies where I felt as though there were sequences of the film could have been cut to get rid of the long drawn out situations. Example: the part where the camera is focused on the Terminator's chest wound. It was so slow that I thought we were waiting for something to come bursting out. Instead we see - nothing.
-the characters could have been a little more enthusiastic. Example: the Terminator sits up after shooting the Predator. I loved the shot of the Predator in the foreground and the Terminator in the background, but the Terminator should sit up very quickly - like a hydraulic. Instead he sits up sloooowly. It killed the moment.

Overall - it was a great portrayal of the Predator and Terminator. The sequences need to be faster and the dead spots need to be cut out to avoid losing your audience.

Darkness

Darkness

I watched that featurette the other day.

The guy does seem to have a lot of passion when he was talking about it.

Nychus

Nychus

Tried to download it, but decided to watch the YouTube version instead. It's quite decent actually when it comes to visual storytelling, but I agree, there should have been a lot more action. Plus, no Predator vision, just Terminator, which is a serious negative.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed