Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 389,372 times)

Dennis82

Beautiful artwork all around, I cannot fault it. However, I am disappointed with the Engineers' world. While the concept art and the movie show some kind of classical Roman architecture, with the Engineers being all statuesque and gorgeous, which is all very beautiful, it has nothing to do with the creepy biomechanic spaceship / juggernaut from the first film, and I think Ridley Scott really missed an opportunity to show us something mindblowing if he had stuck with H.R.Giger's biomechanical concept. A video I saw on youtube pointed this out, that the juggernaut's pilot was meant to have grown out of the chair, as though that's what he was grown to do, to do that job and nothing else. The spaceship itself was all bones, and organ-like etc. I wish they would have shown a whole city or world like that.

Kane's other son

Quote from: Glaive on May 30, 2017, 08:43:38 PM
I'd like to know how the juggernaut crashed in the trees...and why...

Anyone know?

Shaw took off some time after the bombing of the engineers, trying to escape David. There was a fight, they crashed, she died.

LiquidMonster

I was always fond of this creature design that was basically an iteration on the original Giger design:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/18623563_1447891128594637_5534641099794005749_o.jpg

If the series ever gets a reboot, I'd love for this *exact* design to be used. Basically the alien with no dome, pronounced, boney skull and empty eye sockets....nightmare fuel.

Robopadna

Quote from: Glaive on May 30, 2017, 08:43:38 PM
I'd like to know how the juggernaut crashed in the trees...and why...

Anyone know?

Nobody knows but it will potentially be examined in the novel due out in September.

Sabres21768

Quote from: Rabbit2100 on May 31, 2017, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 30, 2017, 10:08:57 PM
Quote from: Rabbit2100 on May 30, 2017, 03:43:56 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 30, 2017, 07:48:47 AM
You mean this one? (stolen from WY-Bulletin)
YAAAAAS

Thats the one. We were rolling laughing at this, i can't believe that suit was in front of a camera. Let alone published in the making of book.
Why?
It's obvious that it was meant to give actors something to act against and for motion capture.
That's why it's not a "film grade" suit.
Otherwise it would have just been a tennis ball on a stick.

Because its lazy. It showd just how little care went into the suit. The only thing that isn't "film grade" is that mile wide seam. It honestly seems like it would be more of a pain in the ass to digitally paint over it.

I just feel like they could have done more work in camera, like yeah digital painting and 3dprinting props is the rage right now, but i can't help but feel that this suit could have benefitted from being ran in silicone and all the possibilities that change would afford.
Yes it could have been better, if the end result was NOT to paint over it with cgi.
But since that was the plan, there would be no real reason to spend money on finishing a suit that we wouldn't see anyway.

WolfPre

WolfPre

Ridly scott has given us s$&t in alien covnent.

But look at what Neil Blomkamp come up with.  https://youtu.be/zoiezEB9n2Q

His aliens look very real, and very nice VFX work. He knows he will not be allowed to direct Alien5 movie, hopefully he will include whatever he intended for Alien5 in his stream of short films.

Are you being sarcastic because that looks like absolute s**t.

wolfpresucks

I'd like to see Blomkamp have the balls to introduce dark, homo erotic horror like Scott did, and not just pander to a fanbase that are never satisfied. We're not up to the original, biomechanical beast either so they can interpret and play with the species design wise and cgi wise as they see fit at this point. This was David's film.

locusta

Nice trailer and I wish him all the best with his endeavor. But biggest problem I had with his ALIEN V pitch was to undo ALIEN3 (donĀ“t care about Resurrection).  It was only Weaver who wanted to make dollars with another reprise of Ripley. If it would have been a genuine idea with totally fresh characters and a take on the story from new perspective, I would have loved to see it. Was just no a total brewed idea.

Kane's other son

I don't see anything original in that trailer. It's ideas and visuals lifted from other movies. And you can't seriously praise Blomkamp's CG lizard men and criticize Covenant's aliens.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Another one from Dane.

https://www.facebook.com/hallett.dane/photos/a.1443279082389175.1073741840.801247429925680/1454191447964605/?type=3&hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

A couple of the egg room from Ev Shippard - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/X0bxn

Some texture work on the motherjugger from Steve Burg, based on original model from Steve Messing - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nlDd4

Another from Steve Messing - https://www.instagram.com/p/BUxFARYhesq/

Adorianu

@Kane's other son Well that short from Blomkamp is not  big movie production with money soooo

lookuponmyworksyemighty

lookuponmyworksyemighty

really fantastic artwork!

couldn't agree with you more mate! it's not a masterpiece of a film but i still enjoyed covenant and i hope we get a sequel. i am not interested in Blomkamps movie never really was.

Corporal Hicks

Whos_Nick

One of those Collider images says "Xenomorph Cocoon Sketch" interesting

FenGiddel

Really enjoying the artwork, fellas!  Both artists' work hearkens back to Giger's; Matt's "Shaw" creeped me out when I saw it on-screen, validating the movie as Alien territory for me. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed