The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 63,780 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

You can play defensively with Chaos in DoW 1 and the expansions too. Spawn maximum basic marine units and Defilers, prepare the prince and 'Thirster for summoning, then rush the enemy as a coup de grace.

Local Trouble

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 16, 2023, 08:45:11 PMAny good Warhammer 40k pc game?
It really depends on what genre you're looking for, because 40k games are all over the map in terms of genre.

If you're looking for co-op FPS, Darktide and Deathwing are great. If you're looking for tactical turn-based combat, Mechanicus is great. If you're looking for a Diablo-style dungeon crawler, Inquisitor: Martyr is great. If you're looking for silly side-scrolling cartoony co-op fun, Shootas Blood & Teef is great. If you're looking for real time strategy, Dawn of War 1 and 2 are great. If you're looking for naval combat, Battlefleet Gothic II is great. If you're looking for "Doom Eternal, but 40k", Necromunda: Hired Gun is great. If you're looking for third-person action, Space Marine is great.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

@Xenomrph Any new acquisitions since the last time I asked?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2023, 01:24:53 AM@Xenomrph Any new acquisitions since the last time I asked?
That's a negative.

Well I did preorder some of the Necron and Sororitas action figures from Joytoy, they look awesome.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 19, 2023, 11:23:28 PM
It really depends on what genre you're looking for, because 40k games are all over the map in terms of genre.

If you're looking for co-op FPS, Darktide and Deathwing are great. If you're looking for tactical turn-based combat, Mechanicus is great. If you're looking for a Diablo-style dungeon crawler, Inquisitor: Martyr is great. If you're looking for silly side-scrolling cartoony co-op fun, Shootas Blood & Teef is great. If you're looking for real time strategy, Dawn of War 1 and 2 are great. If you're looking for naval combat, Battlefleet Gothic II is great. If you're looking for "Doom Eternal, but 40k", Necromunda: Hired Gun is great. If you're looking for third-person action, Space Marine is great.

Thanks, it's a lot to take. I'm RPG guy who prefers turn based combat so it seems like this Mechanicus might be a good choice as I cannot see any RPG on your list  :) I don't consider diablo style games (Inquisitor: martyr) as RPG. It's just hack and slash ... but I might give it a go if it's good enough. Is it?

Dawn of war looks interesting as well.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 20, 2023, 01:51:20 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2023, 01:24:53 AM@Xenomrph Any new acquisitions since the last time I asked?
That's a negative.

Well I did preorder some of the Necron and Sororitas action figures from Joytoy, they look awesome.

Do you actually go to your local Games Workshop or do you mail order everything?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 20, 2023, 02:18:23 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 19, 2023, 11:23:28 PM

Thanks, it's a lot to take. I'm RPG guy who prefers turn based combat so it seems like this Mechanicus might be a good choice as I cannot see any RPG on your list  :) I don't consider diablo style games (Inquisitor: martyr) as RPG. It's just hack and slash ... but I might give it a go if it's good enough. Is it?

Dawn of war looks interesting as well.
If you like Diablo, Inquisitor: Martyr is basically Diablo: Warhammer 40k Edition.

Mechanicus is basically X-Com: Warhammer 40k Edition.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 20, 2023, 03:23:48 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 20, 2023, 01:51:20 AM
That's a negative.

Do you actually go to your local Games Workshop or do you mail order everything?
I've got a friend who runs a local shop, I buy stuff from his shop or I order stuff online. If it's actual GW product, I buy from his shop because I want to support his shop. For the Joytoy figures, it was cheaper to import them, actually.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Wweyland

Wweyland

Must be big if its 1h long

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Ain't nobody got time for that. Although to be perfectly fair, if I were to write a list of what's wrong with 40k it'd be the size of a phone book so maybe it's justified.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 08, 2023, 08:43:58 PMAin't nobody got time for that. Although to be perfectly fair, if I were to write a list of what's wrong with 40k it'd be the size of a phone book so maybe it's justified.

Which problems are the biggest?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

IGOUGO, still using RPG stats in what's become a very large scale game, giving things huge numbers of wounds because you made guns that can do huge amounts of damage, rather than literally any other solution with less book-keeping, speaking of books, the rules for most factions being spread across multiple $80 books, and the convoluted mess of "gotcha" stratagems etc that few players can reasonably remember or plan for due to sheer volume, leading to a lot of "feelsbad" moments rather than the fun twists I think they were supposed to be.

I'd say those are the biggest.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

:o

Okay, I didn't know any of that.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

They need Andy Chambers back, he actually knows what he's doing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed