Alien: Covenant TV Spots

Started by ace3g, Apr 03, 2017, 01:25:59 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant TV Spots (Read 146,675 times)

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

As far as the neomorph goes in the trailer, lets not jump to conclusions on the design or the cg just yet. Its a 2 second clip, and 1 angle and for all we know may not even be in the film. But if it is we dont know the context of the scene. As far as im concerned the still of it before it opens its mouth is pretty damn scary looking

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 03, 2017, 09:55:34 PM
I think it looks great, are we sure the shot of the alien in the shower is cgi?
If you cant tell it must be good cgi. I dont recall seeing anyone complain about the cg creatures in prometheus, the cg in this will be just as good or better

SiL

SiL

Quote from: zoidy on Apr 03, 2017, 09:59:57 PM

I've been saying all day on here it's practical :-) i'm not sure why people think it's CGI.
Because it's clearly CG. It doesn't look real, it doesn't move realistically.

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2017, 10:11:02 PM

I've been saying all day on here it's practical :-) i'm not sure why people think it's CGI.
I'm guessing we're talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about the alien in the shower, not the neomorph. The movement, what there is in the shower, is entirely 'real' for a practical effect.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Apr 03, 2017, 10:00:11 PM
As far as the neomorph goes in the trailer, lets not jump to conclusions on the design or the cg just yet. Its a 2 second clip, and 1 angle and for all we know may not even be in the film. But if it is we dont know the context of the scene. As far as im concerned the still of it before it opens its mouth is pretty damn scary looking

No amount of context will help. The neomorph is pretty much the most bland, plain, boring, and uninspired design it could possibly be. The blob face is cringe worthy. It's like a textbook case of minimalism gone wrong.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: zoidy on Apr 03, 2017, 10:29:35 PM

I'm guessing we're talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about the alien in the shower, not the neomorph. The movement, what there is in the shower, is entirely 'real' for a practical effect.
That's what I'm talking about. The thing that is very clearly an animated character and not a practical effect.

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2017, 11:11:56 PM
Quote from: zoidy on Apr 03, 2017, 10:29:35 PM

That's what I'm talking about. The thing that is very clearly an animated character and not a practical effect.
What's clearly animated about it?

Put it this way: the two final shots are of the alien, which moves slightly upward and the mouth and lips move. And a shot of Daniels in a spacesuit, surrounded by floating stuff.

Question: which is "animated", and which is real?

There's no way you can seriously tell me that the alien in that sequence is "clearly animated" (ie cgi) but Daniels isn't. Comparatively, I'd say there's LESS enhancement in the alien frames than the Daniels ones.

Why would that movement of the alien not be practical? It's not leaping. It's not performing a Nibbler move like the neomorph. It moves it's mouth and lips, and it's getting wet (I'm saying nothing). Perfect practical effect territory. What's clearly animated?

;D

SiL

SiL

There's CG in the Daniels shot, but she's real. The Alien is not. The texture is wrong, the shading is off.

You're right, it is practical effect territory: but that is obviously not a practical effect.

zoidy

zoidy

I'm not seeing what is obviously not practical about it?

Nope. I've watched it over and over, and I don't get it.

Now, to be clear, it *could* be very good cgi. But nothing in it is obvious cgi. And critically, nothing in the movement requires cgi.

If I were to speculate, I'd say perhaps you're assuming the water on the carapace is cgi? I mean, there's little else there to argue about. The rest is indistinguishable as real or not. The water on the carapace? I say it's real. There's also an odd effect, a sort of trick of the eye I think, that comes from the fast water moving down, and the slower drool (blood?) from the mouth, the different speeds might be what you think look fake?

But that looks like a practical alien to me. It's what they build those practical heads/working mouths & lips for.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

That last shot of the Alien in the spot is definitely CG. The shots from the very first trailer during the same scene seemed to be practical though, so hopefully there is a balanced mix.

zoidy

zoidy

In fact, I go back to my original point - Daniels is really there, with CGI additions. I think the alien is almost certainly practical, it's as there and as real as Daniels. There may well be CGI additions though. just like Daniels and the floaters.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: zoidy on Apr 04, 2017, 12:43:18 AM
In fact, I go back to my original point - Daniels is really there, with CGI additions. I think the alien is almost certainly practical, it's as there and as real as Daniels. There may well be CGI additions though. just like Daniels and the floaters.

If that's the case then its face is CG, the water on its face also appears to be CG by how it's flowing. When you've seen enough monster movies you can tell them apart, just ask Omegamorph.

skhellter

skhellter

the water is definitely CGI in that shot of the Xeno. Because they are in an anti-gravity area... so.. CGI was necessary.
But the xeno seems to be practical.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

I'm pretty sure that's not an anti gravity area, it's part of the shower scene shown from the original trailer. That Daniels shot is not from the same scene, they are just edited together for marketing.

Anthony

Anthony

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/849073809084661760

Another new spot.

The hashtag is TakeMeHome in reverse. And the glitches at the end seem to be a hologram in the David and Shaw's ship.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Anyone gotten a good picture of the hologram?

First glitch is someone in the the "arm chair" on the Juggernaut bridge working the goo button controls. Can't make out who or what it is, but temptation is to say maybe Shaw.

Second glitch looks like Covenant crew on the bridge seeing the hologram from glitch number one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed