Alien: Covenant TV Spots

Started by ace3g, Apr 03, 2017, 01:25:59 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant TV Spots (Read 146,512 times)

fernandito

fernandito

Quote from: SrSpinelli on Apr 03, 2017, 12:52:39 PM
I hate how people are calling the Xeno a "Proto-morph", it's not. That's bullshit created by scified.
Neca already confirmed it's the Xenomorph, it's just a different design, jeez
Didn't Ridley himself confirm this is not the classic alìen yet, and that the lack of the biomechanical features in this one is there for a reason (for the next film basically)?

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 03, 2017, 01:01:04 PM
i think that was mentioned by the actors stating they had fun running from these giant aliens. i dont think the neomorph or xenomorph qualifies as giant. big, sure. giant? no
the classic alien and the warrior variants were 3 meters tall, like the engineer in Prometheus basically. If that ain't giant for ya..

The adul deacon and Neomorph should be just as big as the classic alien. eight to nine foot+

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2017, 12:41:52 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 03, 2017, 11:58:06 AM.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2017, 11:42:02 AM
It's never worked terribly well. The closest I'd say was T'Chala in Civil War and even that was hitting uncanny valley in a lot of shots.

Didn't Del Toro use that technique in Hellboy 2 and Pans labyrinth ? 

If so. It worked really well there.
They were almost 100% suits. At most there were some slight touches to enhance them, but you're still looking at what was on set.

What I'm talking about is completely replacing the practical effect with cgi, like in The Thing.

Oh I see what you mean. Yeah. The thing looked bad. I hope that is not the case here. They should do like the films I mention. That, to me, is really effective as I am sure you will agree. Replacing on the other hand. Why bother with all that hard work making the physical product and then washing over with over the top CG.

I hope that does not happen here. I don't overly get that impression from the trailers

SiL

SiL

I agree that suits with enhancements is typically the best option. The fact every shot of the Alien so far has been CG, even in simple closeups, just really doesn't bode well. Even the test screenings said it was mostly CGI, which makes me think the practical stuff has been painted over completely.

Stolen

Stolen

I didn't resist guys!
This looks amazing.
Cinematography is wonderful, monster really creepy, dark world, scale is like Prometheus!

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: fernandito on Apr 03, 2017, 01:02:54 PM
the classic alien and the warrior variants were 3 meters tall, like the engineer in Prometheus basically. If that ain't giant for ya..

The adul deacon and Neomorph should be just as big as the classic alien. eight to nine foot+

I didn't write what you quoted, someone else did. To be clear, I don't think there is another 'giant' alien in the film beyond the alien featured in these promos. There is zero evidence of it. People on the forums tend to take any rumor, misquote or confused audience member and assume this must mean there are new alien races, an Engineer civil war, exiled Engineers, or giant new big bad monsters. One would suggest it implies a dissatisfaction with the actual plot of the film as we now know it.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2017, 01:08:55 PM
I agree that suits with enhancements is typically the best option. The fact every shot of the Alien so far has been CG, even in simple closeups, just really doesn't bode well. Even the test screenings said it was mostly CGI, which makes me think the practical stuff has been painted over completely.

Thinking the same. All the chatter in the articles about practical Aliens and I haven't seen anything in the trailers that satisfies the interest they piqued with aforementioned comments. Maybe they're saving it all for the film, but I hope it wasn't Thing'd.

fernandito

fernandito

My day has definitely improved after realizing that the Neomorph won't dissapoint as a creepy alternate monster in the movie

Still not sure whether that's Its adult form already

Russ840

Russ840

I think the one in the spot looks practical. Something about it looks that way to me. Although. It does look painted over some what.
I think it looks good. Certainly not 'The Thing' prequel bad

Molecules

Molecules

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 03, 2017, 01:12:16 PM

I didn't write what you quoted, someone else did. To be clear, I don't think there is another 'giant' alien in the film beyond the alien featured in these promos. There is zero evidence of it. People on the forums tend to take any rumor, misquote or confused audience member and assume this must mean there are new alien races, an Engineer civil war, exiled Engineers, or giant new big bad monsters. One would suggest it implies a dissatisfaction with the actual plot of the film as we now know it.

Mind you, for everything the Prometheus trailers and TV spots gave away, didn't they keep the trilobyte and deacon in the chamber? I wouldn't rule out as-yet unseen creatures, even if they don't constitute some huge reveal. Unless verified plot leaks say otherwise (I'm not privy to these).

fernandito

fernandito

Loved the Thing prequel. Still to this day don't get what was wrong with it other than the ?pressence? of two americans in the Norwegian Camp (should have been a full Norwegian spoken movie, with of course subtitllles for the rest of the 99% of the world lol), and the retcon of the norwegians using explosives in order to leave the alien ship exposed prior investigation of it instead of the engines melting the ice in the end.

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: fernandito on Apr 03, 2017, 01:37:45 PM
Loved the Thing prequel. Still to this day don't get what was wrong with it other than the ?pressence? of two americans in the Norwegian Camp (should have been a full Norwegian spoken movie, with of course subtitllles for the rest of the 99% of the world lol), and the retcon of they using explosives in order to leave the alien ship exposed instead prior investigation of it instead of the engines melting the ice in the end.
I liked it too, but the CGI is pretty terrible. I hope it's not the same for Alien Covenant.

fernandito

fernandito

The Neomorph cgi is looking good to me tbh. No worries of end up looking like the thing prequel cgi I'd say.

It's also a good thing to still be unsure whether or not that's its final form

skhellter

skhellter

Youtube Compression isnt really helping the cgi. Gives it a "smooth" weird look that sticks out.

Neomorph design looks atrocious as f**k, though.
And that f**king SyFy channel styled scene of him biting towards the camera.... lol.
What is this..? Lake Placid 6?

this film just looks.. uninspired.
An Alien planet that looks just like New Zealand...
Ridley brought back the Resurrection-styled Xenos instead of the biomechanical Big Chap we wanted.
Neomorphs that look deeply generic....
Even more dead Engineers and more big statues....

Ridley is phoning it the f**k in.

yawn

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Bojo on Apr 03, 2017, 12:13:40 PM
See the problem with the Xenomorph nowadays is,because its so embedded in popular culture,that the creature/design looks less frightening and more cool.
That's not a criticism of Scott it's just unfortunately the way it is.

That's the view Scott had, but it's completely false. What we've seen over the years in popular media are pale imitations of how to portray the Alien correctly. When 'Alien Isolation' came out, the one thing it did superbly was to give us an Alien which looks and moves just like it should. It's probably the first time since 'Aliens' that the creature came across as the nightmarish living creature it's meant to be.

See, how many times have we seen vampires, dragons and zombies? There have been portrayals of those for centuries and not just in attempts to do so seriously, but in comedy and mockery. Yet, that doesn't stop them from having the potential to be terrifyingly effective when someone does them right.

Familiarity with a visual design will never detract from its power. You just have to know how to handle them. How to have them behave, what to have them do and, importantly, how to atmospherically light them (visually, lighting is probably the most effective tool of them all).

Otherwise, common old human beings would never be able to come across as scary. But the vast majority of films with villains in tend to be human.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 03, 2017, 01:08:55 PM

I agree. The movement of the creature just doesn't have the weight needed to project the illusion of inertia. It's too fluid, which makes me wonder if not only the practical suit effects have been mostly covered over, but that the actor's movements might have been permanently sped up for almost every shot, Benny Hill-style.

Someone should put Yakety Sax over the AC adverts and see if it improves them. :laugh:

Quote from: Molecules on Apr 03, 2017, 01:36:39 PM
Mind you, for everything the Prometheus trailers and TV spots gave away, didn't they keep the trilobyte and deacon in the chamber?

Yeah, but they were relatively inconsequential to the film. The former didn't have much time on screen and the latter was almost a Roger Corman-alike wink-wink, nudge-nudge thing.

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: locusta on Apr 03, 2017, 10:28:42 AM
Yep, for all the skull lovers! :D

This is so awesome.... thanks! I am wondering, maybe I am blind, but I am not seeing the skull underneath the carapace all that clearly.

EDIT; I'm sorry man, I see that this has already been done elsewhere in the thread.  8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed