Alien Covenant's Box Office Prediction!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Mar 25, 2017, 05:03:28 PM

What do you think of Box office.Com's prediction??

It will be waaay higher than that!!
34 (66.7%)
That's just about right!!
12 (23.5%)
This will be looower than projected numbers!!
5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author
Alien Covenant's Box Office Prediction!! (Read 23,410 times)

WinsteadLeung

Guys!CHINA release date
JUNE 16!

SuicideDoors

https://twitter.com/boxofficeleblog/status/862233902257233920

Bit of advanced Box Office news from France....

Corporal Hicks

Merging with existing box office predictions thread.

juxtapose

. .can someone translate. .please!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: juxtapose on May 10, 2017, 01:25:42 PM
. .can someone translate. .please!

It says - Trends books from Wednesday 8: 00 at #gaumontpathe #AlienCovenant 8 237 tickets pre-sold. Better than #GhostInTheShell(6 243), #Logan...

BishopShouldGo

Big things...

Ulm

I predict:
100m domestic
260m foreign

So 360m worldwide. Pretty modest

SuicideDoors

http://pro.boxoffice.com/facebook/today/

Top tracking movie on the internet at the moment. Hopefully that translates to lots of money!

Corporal Hicks

It's dropped down one today. I feel conflicted. I want it to perform well because I want more Alien movies, I'm not sure I want more of the story Ridley has in mind at the minute, though.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 11, 2017, 07:55:58 AM
It's dropped down one today. I feel conflicted. I want it to perform well because I want more Alien movies, I'm not sure I want more of the story Ridley has in mind at the minute, though.

He's certainly shown he's adaptable and willing to listen to the fanbase. If the overall vibe is disliked by the fanbase I can honestly see Ridley cooking up something else. Ultimately he wants to entertain people while telling a good story. I don't think he's so set in his ways that he won't listen to criticism. This is what sets him apart from someone like Lucas or Cameron. We just need to be respectful of some of the criticisms. I think this website leads by example and I hope he reads the comments here.

SuicideDoors

I fear the consequences of it not performing are far worse.

And Ridley Scott says a lot of things. I love him to pieces, but I don't think he'll do another Alien movie after Covenant.

cucuchu

I had originally been quite optimistic, thinking it would perform in the 400million+ at the Box Office, but I am going to cut that down drastically to 60 million domestically in the US and 120 million WW. Reason being, I do not see the hype for it here in the states (anecdotally anyways) and theaters are utilizing their premium screens (IMAX, Dolby, etc) for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (during its 3rd week, Alien's first) and Pirates of the Caribbean on its first week and going forward (Alien's 2nd and going forward). People I talk to seem confused about it and either do not know what I am talking about or are in the mind of "Oh, is that coming out this year? huh...."...i.e. it does not seem like many people are tracking or following it. I HOPE I am dead wrong but between the lack of enthusiasm from the general public, at least that I have encountered, and the lack of theater confidence in the film, I just don't see it performing well by any standard.

Maybe audiences from everywhere outside the US can make up for its potential lack of performance here. I certainly hope so. I know some people think that it could be a good thing if it does not perform well because it might make Ridley Scott reconsider his direction with the series, but I fear they may just scrap Ridley Scott from control of the series altogether and bring in someone fresh 10 - 15 years from now when they feel its time for another go.

replicon

Quote from: newagescamartist on May 11, 2017, 08:04:38 AM

He's certainly shown he's adaptable and willing to listen to the fanbase. If the overall vibe is disliked by the fanbase I can honestly see Ridley cooking up something else. Ultimately he wants to entertain people while telling a good story. I don't think he's so set in his ways that he won't listen to criticism. This is what sets him apart from someone like Lucas or Cameron. We just need to be respectful of some of the criticisms. I think this website leads by example and I hope he reads the comments here.

"When I'm making a movie I'm going through the eye of a needle and your either with me or against me". He's not someone that is known for his compromising attitude .

BishopShouldGo

It'll do spectacularly. You all need to be hope so too. If it doesn't do well, they won't start with a blank slate, they will keep it dormant for years.

fiveways

Quote from: cucuchu on May 11, 2017, 01:57:07 PM
I had originally been quite optimistic, thinking it would perform in the 400million+ at the Box Office, but I am going to cut that down drastically to 60 million domestically in the US and 120 million WW. Reason being, I do not see the hype for it here in the states (anecdotally anyways) and theaters are utilizing their premium screens (IMAX, Dolby, etc) for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (during its 3rd week, Alien's first) and Pirates of the Caribbean on its first week and going forward (Alien's 2nd and going forward). People I talk to seem confused about it and either do not know what I am talking about or are in the mind of "Oh, is that coming out this year? huh...."...i.e. it does not seem like many people are tracking or following it. I HOPE I am dead wrong but between the lack of enthusiasm from the general public, at least that I have encountered, and the lack of theater confidence in the film, I just don't see it performing well by any standard.

Maybe audiences from everywhere outside the US can make up for its potential lack of performance here. I certainly hope so. I know some people think that it could be a good thing if it does not perform well because it might make Ridley Scott reconsider his direction with the series, but I fear they may just scrap Ridley Scott from control of the series altogether and bring in someone fresh 10 - 15 years from now when they feel its time for another go.

$180m would certainly shelf it for a long time.  That would be consider a massive flop.  It might break even with those numbers after tax breaks, netflix, digital and broadcast rights and all that jazz, but it definitely wouldn't be enough to green light a sequel.  You do make a good point about its competition for screens around it's release.  That said, it is the only Hard R movie being released this summer which might help it (but as you said there is a lot of consumer apathy towards it currently).

300m worldwide is my revised guess.  It's make money but not enough to secure an instant sequel.  Not enough for Fox to feel secure in the direction they are heading in either. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed