Constructing the Hunter, Talking The Predator With ADI's Alec Gillis - AvP Galaxy Podcast #77

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 26, 2018, 08:11:40 PM

Author
Constructing the Hunter, Talking The Predator With ADI's Alec Gillis - AvP Galaxy Podcast #77 (Read 23,346 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Nov 27, 2018, 06:31:33 PM

As for the ALIEN lifecycle it was simply a case of nature's "Ichneumonoidea wasps" which inspired the lifecycle, rather than feminism or "equality"
...let alone LGBT which was not featured in any sci-fi sans the prophetic "the forever war" novel by Joe Haldeman.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

Anyways-

I'm not interested in humanising the Predator, not interested in how a Predator reproduces; not my ballpark.
But I would say that features we typically see as feminine or masculine need not necessarily apply to an E.T.

elsiniestro

elsiniestro

-
If you hear that ADI were considering implementing a female Predator, and your first thought is "those cursed SJWs"...  ::)

AVP-CAPCOM

If 20th Century Fox deleted the idea of an anthropomorphised PREDATOR, and even AVP-GALAXY users hated the "human gestures" that remained in the final cut, I doubt we'll answer "how do PREDATORs procreate?"

If it is like humanoids then it would be a heterosexual male and female relationship and I mean Male and Female.
Gay couples cannot reproduce end of story. You need a female womb and a male sperm donor regardless of species.
Call me a throw-back Conservative nothing changes nature.

Anyways speaking of splitting factions, interestng that Alec Gillis said the props from AVP in THE PREDATOR were Shane Blacks idea........no its was 20th Century Fox idea.
I also find it interesting that Alec said "ALIEN will never have the consistency of the MARVEL canon" I agree and this is why 20th Century Fox are dumb.

Incompetent Directors, script writers, studio politics have ruined ALIEN and PREDATOR.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 27, 2018, 07:34:35 PM
Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Nov 27, 2018, 06:31:33 PM

As for the ALIEN lifecycle it was simply a case of nature's "Ichneumonoidea wasps" which inspired the lifecycle, rather than feminism or "equality"
...let alone LGBT which was not featured in any sci-fi sans the prophetic "the forever war" novel by Joe Haldeman.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

It doesn't. And discussing or wanting female Predators has nothing to do with any "SJW agendas" or anything like that. I think that whinge was completely unwarranted. An interest in that has existed long long before SJW. And there's nothing wrong with being interested in seeing a female Predator either.

QuoteI'm not interested in humanising the Predator, not interested in how a Predator reproduces; not my ballpark.
But I would say that features we typically see as feminine or masculine need not necessarily apply to an E.T.

That's why I'm hesitant about including any female Predators. I think it's really interesting that Alec and Tom pushed for it in this, but I've still yet to see something that I love. I strongly dislike any idea of giving them a humanised feminine figure. I would especially hate to see breasts.

I was talking to Xenomorphine about it yesterday and we were saying that it's fun to think of the ones we've seen already as being the females.

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Nov 28, 2018, 07:49:20 AM
If it is like humanoids then it would be a heterosexual male and female relationship and I mean Male and Female.
Gay couples cannot reproduce end of story. You need a female womb and a male sperm donor regardless of species.
Call me a throw-back Conservative nothing changes nature.

There are other ways of reproduction than the human male/female pairings. As Alec mentions in the podcast, nature has already given us a-sexual beings.

Quote from: AvPGalaxyFan on Nov 27, 2018, 10:01:47 AM
Thank you for Podcast,Love you guys ! ;D

Thank you!  ;D

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 27, 2018, 06:01:40 PM
And for the record, LGBT characters are necessary and I do believe for a long time they've been underrepresented
but like any character- they have to have depth, which a lot of token LGBT characters don't- 
often they're unrealistically flawless under studio request (Because they fear offending anyone)
Or completely token because the writer has no real knowledge of LGBT life experience.

I completely agree with this. It wasn't until these last few years that I really comprehended just how important representation is. Whether that is sexual orientation or race or ethnicity.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Nov 27, 2018, 05:40:17 PM
I believe General Lotz stated in the EU comic series that (female) PREDATORs were bigger than the males.................

I think that was only mentioned on the AVP: Prey novel, other EU had them look pretty much the same or never mentioned them, well a certain novel had predators to be gender fluid hermaphrodites lol. So at this point, you can see their "personal info" in the way it seems better for you, for me none of those fit well with the impression I had from the original movies and behind the scenes info on Predators. So those that don't fit on view of them I just ignore.

Quote from: Mrs.Majesty on Nov 27, 2018, 05:08:31 PM
Trans predators... I just imagined a good plot in SJW style. Oppressed on their planet trans predators go to Earth to capture it and then they will be able to move there and live in their free from oppression society. Traditional predators chase the ship of trans predators to destroy them. The trans predators who had flown to Earth were preparing to launch an attack on humans, but then they met the group of gay soldiers, discussed with them the problems of oppression and decided to unite to fight the oppressors(traditional predators) together. As a result, the traditional  predators were defeated by SJW PredHuman magic team, trans predators began to live with people together on Earth and founded their organization in support of the oppressed trans/gay/bi/etc predators. They didn't hunt people, they have more important problems.

Anyway, don't be so angry, man. I don't think we will ever see hot female predators and other ridiculous things. The film is not about that. If the screenwriter is not crazy, he will not add all these horrible things to the plot.

I can see Shane Black doing this, dude got no limits.

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 27, 2018, 07:04:15 PM
All we really know from the films is that they're manly things that cruise around in big ships together, wear fishnets, have a penis cannon on their shoulders and hunt half naked muscle men in humid environments. If anyone thinks there is nothing sexual, or even slightly homosexual about any of that, brother/sister do I have news for you.   ;D

Never.  :P

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Nov 28, 2018, 07:49:20 AM
Incompetent Directors, script writers, studio politics have ruined ALIEN and PREDATOR.

Just movie wise. But I suppose that was the most important. And its not like the next ones can't be better, its never 100% ruined, there is always a tiny chance of the series rising again. And for Predator its not going to be a female predator that its going to help it.

Keyes

Really enjoyed this podcast chat with Alec! I think it's great how chatty, insightful and forthcoming he is about his experiences on the films with the fans.

Naginata

Quote from: Mrs.Majesty on Nov 27, 2018, 05:08:31 PM
Trans predators... I just imagined a good plot in SJW style

That's funny, because I just imagined a good plot involving straight cisgender Predators who never hunt because they're too busy looking for excuses to cry about 'SJWs' in a thread that has nothing to do with the subject.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: elsiniestro on Nov 27, 2018, 09:00:18 PM
If you hear that ADI were considering implementing a female Predator, and your first thought is "those cursed SJWs"...  ::)

Truly.  Sometimes the emotional surges for certain subjects appear to be reactionary based on fear.  Fear of what?  I don't know...

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 27, 2018, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: brokentusk420 on Nov 27, 2018, 04:35:52 PM
We don't need there to be female predators with tits! Move on form this nonsense. You see crap like this is why we keep getting garbage movies. So busy trying to add fluff to appease the SJWs of the world and make everything politically correct that they pull so far away from what made the original two movies do great.  Next thing you know they are gonna want to show the gay predator or the trans predator....

N/A.

The Predator's Sex, Orientation or Gender- never mattered before, why would it now?

If the Predators procreate as most animals do on Earth, as we do generally.
Unless their society has very, specific separation between the roles of males and females;
And they Hunt on Earth often, you'd eventually see a "female" Predator,
what that means as far as what "her" appearance would be is unknown.
Mammaries, I agree would be a pretty trite indicator.
Feathers, colouration or perhaps even a lack of quills would be more appropriate.
But I have yet to find any art of a "Female" Predator that's that inspired.

Yep.  I've always been in the camp against traditional feminine features for a female Predator.  I think it can be done in a more original, imaginative way - it's a shame that a lot of fanarts just can't seem to get past the cliche human genitalia on fem Preds.  I'd love to see fanarts that follow the avian dimorphism and separate the sexes with feathers and sheens, etc.

The Old One

The Old One

Really the matter was settled at Reply#18-
You should've all just ignored MrsMajesty's post as the (hopefully intentional mockery) joke, it is.

Naginata

I'm sick of that particular 'joke' being made every single time this subject gets brought up. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but so often it has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand; it's just another opportunity to sneer at the existence of trans people disguised as a plot critique.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

/Anyone under the "LGBT" banner.

Naginata

BUT ANYWAY - male and female Predators have been part of the EU from the very beginning. I don't understand how this can be discounted when the whole idea of the having an honor system or being called "Yautja" comes from the very same book.

What I'd like to see are female Predators that... are pretty much like the males - mean, ugly, bad-tempered, obsessed with The Hunt. Sure, they can tell the difference, but to a human it's like trying to gender a shark; difficult at best and kind of pointless.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Naginata on Nov 29, 2018, 01:32:07 AM
BUT ANYWAY - male and female Predators have been part of the EU from the very beginning.

You mean the AVP EU? Almost very beginning, the original comic didn't have any that of course, it was only in the novelization that stuff was added.

I don't understand how this can be discounted when the whole idea of the having an honor system or being called "Yautja" comes from the very same book.

Over the years I got the impression that the honor system and the "Yautja" wasn't that well received among predator fans. It doesn't really bother most that much I guess, but its not something many would want to see being mentioned more, either on EU or movies. But its sure better than the Hish.

Wysps

Just finished listening to the podcast.  Really enjoyed the interview!  Found it very beneficial as a fan, especially with regards to the decision-making process in the film.  It must be difficult to try to honor the director and fans, while at the same time (and most importantly) please the studio that makes the demands.  Sounds like they worked with good intentions and had to keep a lot of boundaries in mind.  Still not sold on some of their creative decisions, but there at least was intention and thought put into it.  I do like his "plan" for formulating the female Predator - leave it to the fanartists to impress the authority figures  :laugh:  Safe choice lol.   

Quote from: Samhain13 on Nov 29, 2018, 01:44:50 AM
BUT ANYWAY - male and female Predators have been part of the EU from the very beginning.

You mean the AVP EU? Almost very beginning, the original comic didn't have any that of course, it was only in the novelization that stuff was added.

I don't understand how this can be discounted when the whole idea of the having an honor system or being called "Yautja" comes from the very same book.

Over the years I got the impression that the honor system and the "Yautja" wasn't that well received among predator fans. It doesn't really bother most that much I guess, but its not something many would want to see being mentioned more, either on EU or movies. But its sure better than the Hish.

Like with the whole sex/dimorphism thing, the honor society is another element of the franchise that fandom can't seem to agree on.  I think there's just a general trepidation of portraying the species in a "conclusive" way that sort of solidifies them in that particular role.  It will extinguish the mystery for all eternity!  With dimorphism, yes, that's probably a rational concern.  But the honor society thing can be retconned, spinned to apply to certain tribes/clans, etc.  Doesn't hold that same feeling of finality.  Anyway, tangent...

Voodoo Magic

Okay. Halfway done with the podcast so far and I'm loving it.  Alec is so entertaining, and funny too!

A few highlights:

I loved learning that the first time Alec saw "Alien", was in a mall theater with James Cameron, neither having any clue Jim would make a sequel 7 years later!

It's great to hear Alec wants to see a Predator or AvP movie with little, or no humans, and has the vision to see its potential. Hear! hear!

Why did the Predators look bulky in AvP? From his lips to our ears.  Other than sometimes using shorter actors, Paul Anderson wanted the armored Predators to look like American Football players.  *sigh*

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed