Alien: Covenant will take place ten years after Prometheus

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 30, 2015, 06:23:53 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant will take place ten years after Prometheus (Read 34,914 times)

Corporal Hicks

It's obviously not ignoring the movie - the main character is David. Just seems they've left LV223 and the Deacon behind. They went looking elsewhere.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 05, 2016, 09:58:48 PM
It's obviously not ignoring the movie - the main character is David. Just seems they've left LV223 and the Deacon behind. They went looking elsewhere.
So if they follow the Prometheus theme, that leaves them 3 whole movies to f**k things up and create a new horrifying monster on each world they visit. It'd be funny if the whole point of these movies is how mankind goes out into space and f**ks everything up, ensuring tons of sequels to come.

Corporal Hicks

I know you're joking but I seriously hope they don't follow the "Prometheus theme". Come back to being a coherent film!

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 01, 2016, 08:16:28 PM
So logically, the Marines should have some really powerful gear. I remember reading on the wiki (I know it's not reliable, but this was an interesting point) that the Marines are given outdated equipment by the United Americas, I'm not sure if that was mentioned in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual. But if this is true, it should be incorporated into any future films to explain why the Marines had what they had and other armies back home have better equipment to cut costs etc.

I like this idea! It's makes sense. It could even be a strategic decision. The marines are armed well enough to handle anything they would encounter during their normal operations without revealing the latest, greatest, or most destructive weapons.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 05, 2016, 09:58:48 PMJust seems they've left LV223 and the Deacon behind.

This kinda pisses me off. The "shock" Deacon ending in Prometheus felt tacked-on as hell as it was. If they're now going to ditch it entirely, it'll feel even more pointless.

Corporal Hicks

Isn't the whole film pointless anyway...

HuDaFuK

Well yes, that's why I have such a big problem with films that require sequels and don't really stand on their own as a self-contained movie. But that scene in particular felt like nothing more than knee-jerk at the fact nothing had burst out of anything yet.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

What's with you? I thought you hated Prometheus' guts? Now you're all concerned about Shaw and the Deacon not returning.

I say start over with a clean slate, wipe the mess that is Prometheus under the carpet and pretend it never happened (mostly). Do a proper job this time around.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 06, 2016, 01:16:05 PMWhat's with you? I thought you hated Prometheus' guts? Now you're all concerned about Shaw and the Deacon not returning.

Hah! I don't hate its guts, it just annoys me because its a mess of a film, yet at every step they seemed to have a better movie that they then made worse by fiddling with it - from Spaihts' script to Lindelof's, then with several of the scenes they cut out for seemingly no good reason.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 06, 2016, 01:16:05 PMI say start over with a clean slate, wipe the mess that is Prometheus under the carpet and pretend it never happened (mostly). Do a proper job this time around.

Trouble with that is, David's back. So it can't possibly be a clean slate.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 06, 2016, 01:50:09 PM
Trouble with that is, David's back. So it can't possibly be a clean slate.

David was also the best thing about Prometheus and arguably the most intriguing android in any of the Alien films. The slate doesn't need to be perfectly clean, they just need to really downplay the first film to the extent that it makes absolutely zero difference whether you've seen Prometheus beforehand or not. It must be able to stand on it's own as a self-contained movie like you said.

If Scott really hits a home run with this film you wouldn't really want it to have a strong connection with an inferior prequel would you? Imagine if Alien followed after Alien: Resurrection but with so many narrative ties and plot points that you couldn't just ignore Resurrection in order to understand Alien. It would have tarnished Alien a bit don't you think?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 06, 2016, 02:19:18 PMDavid was also the best thing about Prometheus and arguably the most intriguing android in any of the Alien films.

I completely agree, I loved Fassbender. I just wish he could've got a better film to play that part in.

I also agree with everything else you're saying, I'm just pointing out that with David in the new movie there's always going to be that niggling knowledge of where he came from. And that'll be worse if they're simply going to throw out everything else from Prometheus, because it seems incredibly petulant to simply discard a story that isn't finished because you did such a half-arsed job of it... yet at the same time make a sequel with a returning character.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 06, 2016, 10:52:21 AM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 01, 2016, 08:16:28 PM
So logically, the Marines should have some really powerful gear. I remember reading on the wiki (I know it's not reliable, but this was an interesting point) that the Marines are given outdated equipment by the United Americas, I'm not sure if that was mentioned in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual. But if this is true, it should be incorporated into any future films to explain why the Marines had what they had and other armies back home have better equipment to cut costs etc.

I like this idea! It's makes sense. It could even be a strategic decision. The marines are armed well enough to handle anything they would encounter during their normal operations without revealing the latest, greatest, or most destructive weapons.

That's also a good point. I think mainly when they go for pests, they bring out some of the more obsolete stuff but in war, they may be given better things.

I'd love to see a film of Marines facing some human colonial insurgency somewhere who has found some "bio weapons" (Aliens) and is experimenting on people, then the Marines arrive and have to face not only Aliens but also well armed rebels. It'd be nice to see some vehicles like futuristic tanks and even some mechs.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Come on guys you can't honestly have wanted Spaihts draft more? True it would have been a coherent movie but at the same time if would have made for an awful alien movie. I think if that movie was made it would have done serious damage to the franchise compared to Prometheus. People would have said the Alien is dead... from just how many "super" aliens were killed in the most mundane ways.

Also, Prometheus is fine the way it is. Scott and Co are just dropping the charred and admitting that this is an Alien series with the name change. I can already see him saying, you know, what ever happened to that thing that was born out of the engineer from the end of Prometheus. Why hasn't no one told his story yet. :P The movie was too big for two hours and got the f**k out of control. However it set up the game pieces just fine. The engineers, the science, the death and tragedy.

The way I see it, the alien is Prometheus. It hands over an egg to the engineers as depicted in the mural. They're first true piece of ultra advance modern biotechnology, that they then went all Weyland-Yutani over and created bioweapons galore. The engineers are basically the corporations scientist, bioweapons division.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 06, 2016, 08:48:16 PMCome on guys you can't honestly have wanted Spaihts draft more?

Absolutely. It at least made sense and had characters that weren't total morons.

david8

Lindelof calls Milburn a total moron in the commentary lol

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed