When does Predators take place?

Started by lightsyder, May 29, 2020, 03:39:35 PM

Author
When does Predators take place? (Read 7,658 times)

SM

SM

Estimate.

Predators Notes:

This was the most difficult to date.  Most sources simply list the release year of the film (2010) as the timeframe.  However there's two pieces of dialogue that enable us to make a more educated guess.  Nickolai says he was in combat in Chechnya, and Isabelle says the Asian and African jungle is too hot for this time of year.

Combat in Chechnya ceased on April 15, 2009, so the film must be set before that.  The hottest months throughout tropical African and South East Asia (same with the Amazon which Isabelle also mentions) range from February through to May.  So in order to place it as close to the release year as possible, but also conform with the dialogue in the film (and assuming they weren't in 'hypersleep' for a year) I went with late 2008.

Mombasa also mentions being in combat, however the Revolutionary United Front in Sierra Leone (which is speculated in the film and backed up by the characters backstory) effectively disbanded as an armed force in 2003, and it's not possible to determine what combat he was involved in.  Additionally, Mahershalalhashbaz Ali who portrays Mombasa was born in 1974, and if the character is around the same age, and abducted to be a child solider around the age of 7, as his history suggests, this would've been around 1981 – some 10 years before the RUF existed.  His background is possibly too murky to be reliable.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Right on, well reasoned! Nicely done, friend. ::applause::

Stitch

Stitch

The potential fly in the ointment is cryosleep.

Predators could be set at any time after the characters are abducted because they have amnesia and don't remember how they got there (mainly because it's not important to the story).
If their abductors are putting them in cryosleep then they could be revived at any point after late 2008 (per SM's well reasoned argument).

SM

SM

If you have cryosleep it could happen anywhen.

Though that seems unlikely considering they seem to have wormhole tech or something similar.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Jun 04, 2020, 08:04:43 AM

Though that seems unlikely considering they seem to have wormhole tech or something similar.

A little bit of both at the Pred's convenience would be uh, convenient.

Voodoo Magic

Here's the Shane Black quote where he says as of The Predator, the events of Predators hasn't happened yet, i.e. it takes place in the future.

Quote from: SM on Jun 04, 2020, 05:04:28 AM
Estimate.

Predators Notes:

This was the most difficult to date.  Most sources simply list the release year of the film (2010) as the timeframe.  However there's two pieces of dialogue that enable us to make a more educated guess.  Nickolai says he was in combat in Chechnya, and Isabelle says the Asian and African jungle is too hot for this time of year.

Combat in Chechnya ceased on April 15, 2009, so the film must be set before that.  The hottest months throughout tropical African and South East Asia (same with the Amazon which Isabelle also mentions) range from February through to May.  So in order to place it as close to the release year as possible, but also conform with the dialogue in the film (and assuming they weren't in 'hypersleep' for a year) I went with late 2008.

Mombasa also mentions being in combat, however the Revolutionary United Front in Sierra Leone (which is speculated in the film and backed up by the characters backstory) effectively disbanded as an armed force in 2003, and it's not possible to determine what combat he was involved in.  Additionally, Mahershalalhashbaz Ali who portrays Mombasa was born in 1974, and if the character is around the same age, and abducted to be a child solider around the age of 7, as his history suggests, this would've been around 1981 – some 10 years before the RUF existed.  His background is possibly too murky to be reliable.

But you're not counting the future wars that have not occurred yet... cause... you know... they're in the future!    ;D

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Jun 04, 2020, 05:04:28 AM
Estimate.
[...]
Combat in Chechnya ceased on April 15, 2009, so the film must be set before that.
[...]
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 04, 2020, 09:18:37 AM

But you're not counting the future wars that have not occurred yet... cause... you know... they're in the future!    ;D

Absolutely, a very solid point. The predator franchise has had a long history of stories being set in future and near-future settings going back over 30 years now.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 04, 2020, 09:03:01 PM
Here's the Shane Black quote where he says as of The Predator, the events of Predators hasn't happened yet, i.e. it takes place in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7pOiu1kmZU

Solid find on that interview, Voo. Is this the only hint we've ever gotten from Shane in regards to Predators' timeframe? I'm so curious what his general thoughts are regarding this, even if it ultimately has no bearing on anything. Does anyone know if there's anything more out there on this?

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 04, 2020, 09:18:37 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 04, 2020, 08:04:43 AM

A little bit of both at the Pred's convenience would be uh, convenient.

I like to think of it as Wiggle Room.

SM

SM

QuoteAbsolutely, a very solid point. The predator franchise has had a long history of stories being set in future and near-future settings going back over 30 years now.

QuoteSo in order to place it as close to the release year as possible

Voodoo Magic

Things change...

Quote from: SpaceKase on Jun 04, 2020, 09:25:53 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 04, 2020, 09:03:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7pOiu1kmZU

Solid find on that interview, Voo. Is this the only hint we've ever gotten from Shane in regards to Predators' timeframe? I'm so curious what his general thoughts are regarding this, even if it ultimately has no bearing on anything. Does anyone know if there's anything more out there on this?

Thanks. I think there's some more if I recall. Will have to take a deep dive soon.

In regards to bearing on anything, regardless if we like it or not, Shane Black's efforts are canon, until it's not. But I'm betting it will always be, considering Predator Hunting Grounds built on top of it with Stargazer, Dutch's return, S. Keyes etc... while conveniently forgetting the hybridization (thank goodness).

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Jun 04, 2020, 11:37:01 PM
QuoteAbsolutely, a very solid point. The predator franchise has had a long history of stories being set in future and near-future settings going back over 30 years now.

QuoteSo in order to place it as close to the release year as possible

I totally follow your logic and rationale. But I think the point they were trying to get across is that, if one were to set the story in a future or near-future setting, as Shane Black suggests, then there is a tradition in Predator stories of doing so; just as Concrete Jungle, Predator 2, Hunting Grounds, and many others have done.

Just as you assume Nikolai is referring specifically to the Second Chechen War, one could just as easily assume Nikolai is referring to a fictional subsequent Chechen conflict. Your interpretation is just as valid, but there's wiggle room if someone chooses to ascribe to Black's apparent interpretation.

SM

SM

One must have some standards rather than it being open slather.

If Black gave dates for Predators and The Predator then that would obviously be seriously considered - particularly if it conforms to what's on screen.  Has he ever said when The Predator takes place?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 05, 2020, 12:42:20 AM
Things change...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1cRpmgpUw

Damn dude, solid find #2! That's so legit, and it totally clears up at least one of the lingering questions (among myriad) about the veracity of the 17 weeks later vs 17 days later time setting of Col Marines.It was knowingly intentional on their part, at least according Matt Powers. I also appreciate him not taking Zamora's bait to disrespect the many creators and fans of Alien 3; pretty classy on his part. But how does this clip relate again? I think I missed something.

Thanks. I think there's some more if I recall. Will have to take a deep dive soon.

Yeah man, please do! My curiosity is stoked now, and so far you're 2 for 2.

In regards to bearing on anything, regardless if we like it or not, Shane Black's efforts are canon, until it's not. But I'm betting it will always be, considering Predator Hunting Grounds built on top of it with Stargazer, Dutch's return, S. Keyes etc... while conveniently forgetting the hybridization (thank goodness).

Ha, aww man, I like the body modification stuff! Depending on how all of those story threads could have developed, I can totally believe how one powerful Yaut clan could see another powerful clan's practices in genetic modification as some kind of unholy defilement of their race's "purity". perhaps we'll never know, it's all just musings killed in the cradle thus far.

I also appreciate Hunting Grounds' efforts not to similarly disrespect the many creators and fans of The Predator; very classy on Illfonic's part, as well.   

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2020, 02:11:24 AM
One must have some standards rather than it being open slather.

Ha, you think it's openly... slatherly(?) to maintain ambiguity in a story? (I tease, I tease)

We comprehend the standards you're applying to your rationale, and no harm nor threat is intended toward the fashion of those practices. If I'm not mistaken, I believe all we're saying is that the style of those practices are more doctrinal than they are dogmatic. But yeah dude, like I said, the reasoning for your theory is solid. I like it.

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2020, 02:11:24 AM
If Black gave dates for Predators and The Predator then that would obviously be seriously considered - particularly if it conforms to what's on screen.  Has he ever said when The Predator takes place?

For sure, in the clip above, that Voodoo posted, Black specifically says his movie takes place in 2018.

SM

SM

Ah okay.

I don't really buy his take on Predators not having happened yet - because he doesn't actually have a take.

Nor do I buy his take on when The Predator takes place since 2020 has a full moon on Halloween and 2018 doesn't.  Unless of course there's a calendar on a wall somewhere that I haven't spotted yet.  If there is, then you have an AvP situation where moon phases don't match the quoted date in the film, and I'd go with the latter.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2020, 03:50:27 AM
Ah okay.

I don't really buy his take on Predators not having happened yet - because he doesn't actually have a take.

Nor do I buy his take on when The Predator takes place since 2020 has a full moon on Halloween and 2018 doesn't.  Unless of course there's a calendar on a wall somewhere that I haven't spotted yet.  If there is, then you have an AvP situation where moon phases don't match the quoted date in the film, and I'd go with the latter.

Solidly logicked once again, sir. I tip my biomask to you, and unless there's something solid in the film itself firmly to the contrary, I buy your interpretation over the director's meta-provided apparent intentions any day.

Predator stories love their full moons don't they?

SM

SM

That they do.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed