A Disney Predator film?

Started by ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR, May 01, 2020, 06:07:05 PM

Author
A Disney Predator film? (Read 2,587 times)

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Now that Disney owns both the Predator and Alien franchises, can Disney still make a rated Predator movie or will it have to be pg-13 now?

Maybe Disney should sell off the Predator and Alien assets to another studio like Warner Brothers or Paramount pictures. It's hard to picture new movies in these franchises under the Disney brand.

Rated R

Dingbat

Dingbat

I think they would release them under one of their other studios, or just using 20th century studios, but, honestly, after having seen the star wars films, I'd rather they just sold them.

Galactus123

Galactus123

There were some rumors that they are planning to reboot the series.

D88M

D88M

Is hard for me to picture good movies coming out of disney, they literally destroy everything they touch.
Look at what they did with the Star Wars brand, not to mention Marvel.
If they do is gonna be a remake/reboot under another name, but i would prefer that they just let the franchises rest until they make good movies.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I hope to Christ it never goes to WB considering how botched the DCEU ended up being. I would love to see Batman Versus Predator but Batman:Dead End is enough if I don't have to sit through another draining movie. Otherwise Disney is letting the people in charge stay in charge. They don't like doing things in house because they've admitted they're bad at it. So just expect Disney is going to write the checks when a Predator movie comes up and that's it.

Quote from: D88M on May 05, 2020, 10:19:50 AM
Is hard for me to picture good movies coming out of disney, they literally destroy everything they touch.
If they do is gonna be a remake/reboot under another name, but i would prefer that they just let the franchises rest until they make good movies.

It's a bit more complicated than "Disney bad". With Marvel they're doing what's been done since Iron man and have one of the most successful brands ever. Hardly destruction despite what one might see on Youtube. Star Wars is a case of the help going off the reservation and doing its own thing and in some cases having to fix things at the last minute. Either being that the film wasn't what was agreed upon to be shot leading to a new director, or the new director needing a new script within less than a year before shooting. It's less Disney bad more that they need to be sure about who they hire.

bendinglight

bendinglight

Disney has released R-rated films in the past, albeit under different production names. Check out this article in reference to the outcry of Dead Pool possibly not getting the R-rated treatment.

https://www.newsarama.com/43788-disney-promises-more-r-rated-deadpool-movies-under-their-watch.html

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: D88M on May 05, 2020, 10:19:50 AM
Marvel movies are cool and good, yo.

Star Wars has issues, but nothing that can't be fixed by proper oversight. See also: Marvel.

bendinglight

bendinglight

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 05, 2020, 10:02:09 PM
Marvel movies are cool and good, yo.

Star Wars has issues, but nothing that can't be fixed by proper oversight. See also: Marvel.

:)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Me and, like, an objective majority of the planet, yeah.

Getting someone like Kevin Fiege to helm the Predator (and Alien and AvP, whatever) universe and run it Marvel-style has a good chance of being successful and well-received, given his track record with Marvel. I'd be all for letting him take a crack at it.

Master

Master

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 06, 2020, 09:15:18 PM

Getting someone like Kevin Fiege to helm the Predator (and Alien and AvP, whatever) universe and run it Marvel-style has a good chance of being successful and well-received, given his track record with Marvel. I'd be all for letting him take a crack at it.

We already have Marvel style Predator movie. It`s called The Predator and stinks.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Master on May 07, 2020, 03:45:41 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 06, 2020, 09:15:18 PM

We already have Marvel style Predator movie. It`s called The Predator and stinks.
N-- no? Marvel movies tend to be competently and coherently written, and 'The Predator' is neither. I don't even know how one could compare The Predator, a rated R movie, with a Marvel movie. ???

SiL

SiL

I actually thought the same. It has the mentality and maturity of a Marvel film, just drenched in blood.

Nightmare Asylum

You know, its funny - if you asked me, right now, what contemporary filmmakers would probably make solid Predator movies, I'd probably say Robert Rodriguez and Shane Black. :D Shame about both movies (though I don't dislike the first half of Predators, it just... sort of lacks energy, and then crumbles in the second half after the Noland stuff).

Also, yes, I know Rodriguez didn't personally direct Predators.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

It's likened to a Marvel movie because people noticed that part of the tropes of the Superhero genre is that it's goofy. Predator can be very funny, but it's funny because these weirder and funnier elements are played straight. The Predator falters here because it instead deliberately sets up the joke when the comedy of Predator is that "shit happens". City Hunter hanging from the side of a building and is about to commit ritual suicide is followed up with him essentially shrugging and saying "shit happens". But it's not a problem if the franchise is goofy because it's been like this since day one. It's just that it's the world and situations that make everything funny and not the deliberate setup of a joke. Predator without humor just wouldn't work, The Predator just drew too much attention to it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I still stand by what I said - comparing The Predator to the Marvel movies rings hollow for me because the Marvel movies are actually competently written and tend to actually be good. Trying to use "it's like a Marvel movie" as if it's an insult is bizarre - if it had been like a Marvel movie, it would have been well-received and made a lot of money. Shit, Shane Black already made a Marvel movie and it's got a 7.2 on IMDb, a 79% with critics on Rotten Tomatoes, and it made over a billion dollars. That tells me that the problem with 'The Predator' isn't Shane Black or the movie being "too Marvel".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed