The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 236,106 times)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Sounds pretty neat! I'm looking forward to Rage War quite a bit. It sounds like this will be the large-scale story I was hoping for. Also,
QuoteSomeone has learned how to weaponize the Aliens
I wonder if it's
Spoiler
W-Y.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Eh. Trying to weaponize Aliens? Fine. Actually weaponizing them? No thanks. And what are the USCM still doing around? Isn't this post-Resurrection?

Pass.

Corporal Hicks

It is post-Resurrection. But they reset the status quo in Sea of Sorrows to equate to something more akin to post-Alien 3. Anyway, I hope it introduces a new species or it's the Engineer's coming out full force. It'd have to be something really serious to get the Predators running.

I'll try and get a copy of the cover in a decent size.

Nightmare Asylum

How did they handle this "reset?"

HuDaFuK

USM folded after the Auriga kinda, you know, nailed the planet, and W-Y and other corporations simply had a resurgence in their place.

No mention of the USCM, though. At least not that I remember.

Nightmare Asylum

That actually doesn't sound so bad, though WY being among the companies that resurface is a bit of a stretch, since Res gave the impression that they had completely gone under. Would have been cool to see some different companies with different agendas, but I get why they'd want to use WY.

Do they deal with the actual physical fallout of the Auriga's crash in any way?

Ultramorph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 29, 2015, 04:34:58 PM

Yes, it caused climate change that was threatening to be catastrophic, so the resurgent WY has been terraforming Earth. It also made it sound like France pretty much doesn't exist anymore. "Used to be an important European country" or something like that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 29, 2015, 05:16:26 PMIt also made it sound like France pretty much doesn't exist anymore. "Used to be an important European country" or something like that.

That was actually a big goof. The book says the ship hit Paris, when the film quite clearly shows it hitting Africa. I'm guessing the author got confused by the added scene at the end of the Special Edition.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2015, 03:55:58 PM
It'd have to be something really serious to get the Predators running.

Exactly, and weaponizing Aliens wouldn't be enough to get them running en masse. I know that the old EU is not accounted for but we've seen Aliens being weaponized against the Predators... in Three World War. The Predators didn't run from those Aliens, and I'm talking way before the joint team up with the USCMC.

So it'd have to be something EXTREMELY serious to get the Predators running. Although I can't imagine how serious with the Xenomorph it'd have to be. Considering the experiences the Predators have with the Xenomorph, I doubt infestation of homeworld would be that much of a problem assuming the Predators are fleeing from the homeworld.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2015, 03:55:58 PM
Anyway, I hope it introduces a new species or it's the Engineer's coming out full force. It'd have to be something really serious to get the Predators running.

The Engineers going on a warpath for Earth, displacing the Predators along the way, would be pretty cool, but I doubt Fox is allowing anyone to play with them like that. Look at how lightly they had to tread in Fire and Stone. A new species would be cool, as well.

I have my fingers crossed that the Arcturians become involved somehow.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 29, 2015, 08:20:07 PMI have my fingers crossed that the Arcturians become involved somehow.

Given that Sea of Sorrows made it very clear we're at least on reasonable terms with the Arcturians, I'd be surprised if they were behind these evil goings on in the new book. But who knows.

Ultramorph

Oh, i wouldn't expect them to be the villains. I think they'll play a role in the bigger story of dealing with the whole mess. Helping with the Predator refugee crisis sort of thing.

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 29, 2015, 05:16:26 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 29, 2015, 04:34:58 PM

Yes, it caused climate change that was threatening to be catastrophic, so the resurgent WY has been terraforming Earth. It also made it sound like France pretty much doesn't exist anymore. "Used to be an important European country" or something like that.

I'm surprised no one else found this particular plot point completely idiotic. Ripley crashed the Auriga specifically to prevent a disaster of Aliens finally reaching Earth, only to almost destroy the entire planet anyway.

Ultramorph

I think that was part of a deliberate role-reversal, with Ripley looking foolish and the resurgent W-Y looking very capable and dangerous. The original Ripley also came off foolish, since she and Hoop totally failed to destroy the hive on what became New Galveston.

TheBATMAN

I'd argue its more a case of simple plot convenience to reset the universe lore with a somewhat desperate way to link back to the events of Resurrection but that's probably more me being a pessimistic old git.

But nevertheless it goes against everything Ripley stood for. She spent her life and subsequent second life trying to prevent such a threat from reaching Earth to wipe out humanity, only to more or less manage it herself via other means...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed